Ritek Media

I have two batches of ritek media one by memorex and one by fuji.

I also have two drives a pioneer AO6 and an NEC 2500A.

The ritek media is G03 DVD-R 1X.

In the NEC the Fuji burns perfectly when checking with Nero scandisk but the Memorex is a disaster. The memorex errors out in Nero scandisk yet the Fuji test perfectly.

When both media are burnned in my Pioneer scandisk shows`a perfect scan.

The NEC writes this media at 2X and in the Pioneer the write speed is 1X.

The possibility presented here is that the media is presenting an incorrect write stratagy to the NEC.

I hope this helps in sorting out the problem.

Also my Ritek G04 media labled Ridata works perfectly in my Pioneer and is a disaster in my NEC.

Thanks

The Ritek G04 discs don’t work too well with the NEC 2500a. It seems that firmware 1.08v4 is the best choice for this. I never tested it myself though, as I didn’t run into G04 media yet.

About the G03: when this media is designed to be written at 1x only, I think it’s wise to follow that prescription. Although some media can be written at higher speeds than it’s rated for, I wouldn’t want to advice this on Ritek media.

Thing is that the quality of Ritek media isn’t always constant. The quality varies between awful and pretty good. Most DVDR media from Ritek are moderate to good, but there’s no garantuee though.

Try writing the G03 discs at 1x and see what happens. Of course, the writing strategy of the NEC drive differs from that of the Pioneer.

I was under the impression that Ritek makes all its own media, and that no-one else makes media for them.

P.S. Halfway through a spindle of Ritek RiData G04’s, all burned at 4x. Have yet to see a single problem.

I’ve been through a 50pk of Ritek G04 L19 dvd-r and all movies have been perfect burns. They even play on my super old and picky Sony dvd player. Scanning with dvdinfopro showed no errors in the burns.

The Pioneer supports 1x burning, the NEC does not. G03 media should be burnable at 2x, but drives are all different. Pioneer is one of the few burners that still supports 1x speed. They all use 1x burn strategy at 2X on the older media types.
I have 100% success burning G04 in my NEC 2500A, no problems at all through several batches. Quite a few folks are getting decent results at 8x on G04 as well, (using modded FW).

What firmware would be best in a NEC 2500A to burn Ritek G04 media. Their are now so many choices.

Also the Memorex and Fuji media were both made by Ritek yet they both do not act the same in the NEC 2500A. How can that be?

Carthoris/

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
The Ritek G04 discs don’t work too well with the NEC 2500a. It seems that firmware 1.08v4 is the best choice for this. I never tested it myself though, as I didn’t run into G04 media yet…

Edit: I see you are referring to the TDK OEM firmware version.
The latest official firmware is 1.06 for the ND-2500A.

Originally posted by carthoris
What firmware would be best in a NEC 2500A to burn Ritek G04 media. Their are now so many choices.
Also the Memorex and Fuji media were both made by Ritek yet they both do not act the same in the NEC 2500A. How can that be?

1062003121900 is supposed to be the ‘best’ official NEC 2500A firmware at the moment.

I would highly recommend Herries’ patched firmware once the final (non-beta) revision is published.

Ritek G04 has been known to vary in quality… There are many threads dedicated to Ritek G04 discussions, search the forum.

The Ritek GO4/L19 discs I got free from NewEgg burn fine with no read errors or slowdowns. The dye on these is reddish-purple. Pictures I’ve seen of Ty discs appear to have a similar color; perhaps the 2500 likes this color of dye?

I’m running the stock 1.06 FW (don’t know which version), the build date was Feb 2004, and it was manufactured in China.

I wonder if a database was started which included disc dye color, drive manufacture date/location, and FW version – that a clear trend would emerge to explain why media that works great in one 2500 fails in another? Perhaps not all Ritek GO4s have the same dye color and there are quality problems with 2500s built at certain locations during certain months…

It would be a great benefit to all 2500 owners to solve this mystery! :slight_smile: