Ritek G06 write-strat on 1633S?

I have a 1213@1633 and I have a big stack of Ritek G05 DVD-R discs. They will burn at 8X, but the KProbe scans aren’t great.

I understand that the G06 strategy is supposed to work well with those discs on some other Liteon models, but it doesn’t seem to be possible to make that swap on the 1633 firmware with Omnipatcher – it’s not one of the recommended tweaks, and as far as I can tell it isn’t available as one of the manual choices for strat-swapping.

Is there something I’m missing? Is there a way to use the G06 strategy on the 1633S?

Looking at revision 2-11 of the rec_tweak.conf file, released on 2004/09/27, looking specifically at line 45, isn’t that what you are asking for?

I think not. When you click the Omnipatcher button labeled “Apply Recommended DVD Media Tweaks”, the Ritek G05 strategy does not get tweaked (at least not on my copy of Omnipatcher, which is the latest one, with the 1633S stock firmware downloaded from codeguy’s site).

Moreover, if I use Omnipatcher to generate a list of media codes (the “eyeglasses” button), the list indicates that the G04 strategy has been swapped with the G05 strategy, but that the G05 strategy has not been tweaked. Here’s part of the -R section of that list:

ProdiscF01 /52 [ 4x, 6x, 8x ]
PRODISCG02 /50 [ 2x ]
ProdiscS03 /52 [ 4x ]
ProdiscS04 /52 [ 4x, 6x, 8x ]
PVC001001 /00 [ 2x ]
PVCR001002 /52 [ 4x ]
RITEKG03 /50 [ 2x ]
RITEKG04 /52 [ 4x ] -> RITEKG05 /52
RITEKG05 /52 [ 4x, 6x, 8x ]
RITEKM02 /52 [ 4x ]
SKC Co.,Ltd./52 [ 4x ]
SKC M801 /52 [ 4x, 6x, 8x ]
SONY /50 [ 2x ]
SONY04D1 /52 [ 4x ]
SONY08D1 /52 [ 4x, 6x, 8x ]
TAIYOYUDEN /50 [ 2x ]
TAROKO-MX4 /52 [ 4x ]
TDKG02000000/50 [ 2x ]
TTG01 /52 [ 4x ]
TTG02 /52 [ 4x, 6x, 8x ]
TTH01 /52 [ 4x, 6x, 8x ]
TYG01 /52 [ 4x ] -> TYG02 /52
TYG02 /52 [ 4x, 6x, 8x ]
UME01 /52 [ 4x, 6x, 8x ]
VANGUARD /52 [ 4x ]

As you can see, only two strategies have been swapped – the Ritek G05 is not one of the two.

The G05 strat seems to be broken in the 2S drives. Hence the switch there. To my knowledge, the G05 strat is fine in the 1633S. I’ve used it once (don’t have much -R media in my collection), and it worked well on the 1633S. It could be a media batch problem. shrug This is Ritek, after all…

The G06 strat doesn’t even exist in the 1633S firmware. Probably having something to do with Ritek not even producing any G06s right now (I’ve heard a rumor that it was a cancelled project… shrug… whatever)

Certainly the G05 strategy works better on the 1633S than on the 1213S – before I flashed my drive from 1213 to 1633, it wouldn’t burn these Riteks at 8X without encountering an error that aborted the burn process. Now I can burn successfully at 8X (i.e., the burn completes and it passes write-verification) but I was hoping there was a write-strategy available that could produce cleaner scans on KProbe.

My recommendation (and the recommendation of MANY others here on this forum) is to use quality DVD+R media with your Liteon burner. The RICOHJPNR01 (DVD+R 4x) is known to give excellent results on your 1213@1633. I have some Ritek G05 media, but I reserve it for use on my NEC 3500, where it produces excellent results. Just for grins, I tried recording a G05 at 8x on my 1213@1633. The results, as you can see, are not exactly great.

And here is the result of burning a RICOHJPNR01 (DVD+R 4x) at 8x on the same drive. Which media would you choose?

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=109600

I agree. Unfortunately, my set-top DVD player won’t play DVD+R discs. (I do have DVD+R discs that I use for PC-only purposes, like backup. I wish I had found this forum before I bought the Liteon, but that’s life.

From the look of that result, I’d try unchecking 8x, or use 6x if the software offers it - The advantage of firmware-disabling bad speeds for certain media, is that you don’t have to remember to down-speed.

Even with the Booktype set to DVD-ROM?

Or, even better, I just burn the G05 discs on my Nec 3500, which produces excellent results. The original poster had bought a “big stack” of Ritek G05 discs. I (and others) were pointing out to him that he had made a mistake. His best option is to try and trade those G05 discs for RicohJpnr01 (IMHO).

Good idea. I tried burning one of these Ritek discs at 6X and the result was awful: it failed write-verification in Nero and this is what the KProbe scan looked like:

So then I tried burning one at 4X and it didn’t even get past the Leadin – it gave me a power calibration error.

But I did find some discs that burn well on this drive: Maxell RG02. They’re only 4X, but they produced a very clean scan on KProbe: Max PI = 11 and very few PIFs.

Yup. I just tried it again and unfortunately even with bitsetting, my player can’t read a DVD+R disc.

The result defies logic!
The 8x burn looked like it had an ok 4x/6x and went bad at 8x - then the 6x burn goes bad at 6x ?

Unless the results are just plain erratic, there is clearly more happening than just not making the 8x step - unless Liteon memory dropped a massive spanner in the works of what looked like a passable 6x section of the 8x.

The entire burn at 6x, altogether worse at all points - it tells us someting about the way the drive handles strategies and speeds … I wish I knew WHAT!

That’s right – so I thought maybe a 4x burn would be clean. I tried it again last night and though I didn’t get a Power Calibration error like a few days ago, the burn failed while trying to write the leadout.

Unless the results are just plain erratic, there is clearly more happening than just not making the 8x step - unless Liteon memory dropped a massive spanner in the works of what looked like a passable 6x section of the 8x.

The entire burn at 6x, altogether worse at all points - it tells us someting about the way the drive handles strategies and speeds … I wish I knew WHAT!

You’re not the only one. It makes no sense. The only thing I can be sure of is that I won’t be buying this Ritek media again. But I will run over to Staples today and buy more of the Maxells on sale.

I’m tempted to try other write-strats on the Ritek, but since it would be all trial-and-error, it would probably produce lots of coasters, and since I won’t be buying any more of these media, I probably won’t bother.

I am not getting that great results from G05 on NEC3500… are you burning it at 12x or 8x? Any scan?

Here is a scan of a G05 burnt at 8x on a Nec3500, using the TDB 2F8 firmware. With a PI max of 27 (avg. 9.93), a PIF max of 2 (avg. 0.04), and no hills, this is what I call an excellent scan.

Cool, but I would rather say; excellent burn! :smiley:

BTW, I wonder what happend with the topic…

Allow me to reiterate: I won’t buy this media again. I just tried burning 3 discs and all 3 failed while the leadout was being burned. Three in a row is not a great statistic.