Ritek G05'S in a LG4120B?

Hi Guys brand new to the forum. Can I use Ritek G05 media in my LG4120B ?
Firmware is A117

Yo-

Welcome-

Yes - however - Ritek G05’s are a poor choice for media now days - reason being that the quality has gone to hell in the past 10 to 14 months-

Suggest Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim or Maxell or any media made in Japan-

Do a search ‘G05’ above - and see for yourself-

Mike

Thanks Bigmike7
I am in Australia & the Taiyo are more than twice the price of Verbs here , I have more than 100 of the G05’S on hand & looks as if I will have to splash out on a new burner to use them up. I have not been happy with the media fussy 4120 anyway ,a BenQ1640 looks the goods to me.

Yo-

The burner is not going to you much help - the G05’s are crap- or are going to turn into crap pretty soon (again do a ‘search’) and see what I and a whole lot of other users have experienced-

Mike

TYs are sold in Australia as brand Muller @ any large Coles Supermarket for approx. 60c ea.

Thanks Eyeless, I have seen the Muller discs @ Coles but they are not printable to my knowledge I will have a closer look

To Big Mike I do hear you but I have 100 G05’s on hand As I have been using Ritek[FujiFilm03] for some time & results were excellent so I expected the GO5’s to work the same & bought a pack I was Wrong, But to add to my problem went back to the blue green pack the FujiFilm03 were in & found they are now GO5’s . I should have case to ask for a refund.

I’ll second that on the riteks. People warned me but I took the risk since thier were some ritek dual layer on sale for 1$ ea. They burned horrible on three diffrent drives. Luckilly I was able to return them.

oh, sorry, u want printables ? hmm, don’t know of any cheap outlets

Hi Eyeless In Gaza I checked out the Muller discs in Cole’s & they are clearing them out for under $5 for a 25 pack. Are you sure these are Taiyo made ? Pack has them as being made in Hong Kong & even @ even 20 cents too dear for fakes, I have enough bad discs on hand .

Taiyo Yuden would be marked as Made in Japan (MIJ). Stay away from Hong Kong media, near or at the bottom of the barrel. Also stay away from Verbatim as it’s been of variable quality for a while (and prone to being faked). Ritek is worth a try if you can get it. You might want to search the LG forum and see what’s hot there right now.

-Evan-

the few packs that i have purchased from Coles as Muller are >>>

Media Information                            

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID TYG02
Format Capacity Blank Disc
Free Blocks 411107328
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Manufacturer Rated Speed 8.0x 11080KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 8.0x 11080KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 6.0x 8310KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
2x Speed OPC beta 08
2x Speed OPC power 0E
2x Write Strategy field 1 11 87 78 80
2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta 06
4x Speed OPC power 13
4x Write Strategy field 1 0D 10 0E 07
4x Write Strategy field 2 97 07 0D 0B
4x Write Strategy field 3 80 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 06
4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 18
4x Write Strategy field 4 17 85 78 75
4x Write Strategy field 5 D6 89 A8 92 01 20
4x Write Strategy field 6 10 00 00 00 00
Data area starting sector 30000h
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1
###################################################

i have had very good burns usings them with sony 1673s and pioneer A09xl. i also have had superb burns using verbatim, tdk and princo a-grade. you see, it very much depends on your drive + firmware + burning program combination
as to whether or not you get good, fair, bad, or ugly burn quailty and NOT JUST the make of media used. of course, if you get a bad batch of discs then nothing can make up for that . . .

Hi QuaiBoy I agree the made in Hong Kong put me off but the clearance price of $4.75 for a 25 pack pretty good & as Eyeless said they give good burns I might try some for my kids movies

For sure, if they burn great then all the power to ya. I just wouldn’t trust them with anything overly important. Using them as kid frisbees (I mean, movie backups) is a great idea. :wink:

-Evan-

@ QuaiBoy you can also try TDK from Dick Smith or Tandy they are CMC MAGE01 normaly you can pick them up for about $35 a pack of 50 = 70c each and most LG will give you a good burn using this disk I used my LG 4160B with A304 firmware to burn this disk.

My 4120B does not like the 8X TDK’s at all. I used to use the 4X printable TDK & the LG loved them
I bought A 25 pack of the Muller 8x DVD+ from Coles in Brisbane for $4.35 as they are clearing them out, Scan as Verbatim MCC 003[000] but we are smart enough to know that being made in Hong Kong that would be a fake code,maybee that is why Coles is giving them the flick. They work in my BenQ but not the LG

Downunder64 Have you tried different firmware? The TDK you tried might not have been CMC MAGE01 I have had TDK that were Ritek and they were crap. As far as MCC 003 goes they are rubbish they are sold under a few different names I tried them under the Lazer brand and they were :Z

Hi coathi
I have not tried the TDK’S lately, but at the time I was having problems I Emailed TDK & they said the 8x would not work in the LG & even arranged for me to get a refund . They will get my support next blanks I buy.

By the way those MCC003’s burnt very well in my Benq 1640 I don’t know how long they will last but @ 17cents each will be great for the kids Frisbees after they watch the movie