Ritek expands BD-R production

vbimport

I just posted the article Ritek expands BD-R production.

Due to increasing demand from existing clients, Ritek (Taiwan) is in the process of doubling their monthly production capacity for Blu-ray recordable discs. Existing DVD production lines will be…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14943-Ritek-expands-BD-R-production.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14943-Ritek-expands-BD-R-production.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Good news. 750,000 discs per month surely will drive the price down.

i’d rather see 8x bluray DL 50gb discs. current discs are only 4x, some are 2x. Very little 50gb discs about, 90% are 25GB discs. Gunna be a long time till we see good priced 8x 50gb discs, atleast 2yrs i reckon.

i’d rather see 8x bluray DL 50gb discs. current discs are only 4x, some are 2x. Very little 50gb discs about, 90% are 25GB discs. Gunna be a long time till we see good priced 8x 50gb discs, atleast 2yrs i reckon.

Panasonic has 6x BD-R DL discs out already. Their new LF-PB371JD burner can write them at 8x.
See here: http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/Panasonic-8x-BD-R-burner-debuting-September.html

Meh, I use Hard Disks. Cheaper and faster - enough said.

Hard Disks are cheaper and better, but it really sucks when one dies. You lose alot of stuff, and you’ve gotta redownload it if you can, which takes alot of time, and can have problems if you have a capped ISP.

I haven’t used bd-r’s yet, but i would assume at some point (if they aren’t already) they’ll be more stable and more affordable.

Alot of people are pro-hard drive, but damn they drives keep getting bigger and bigger, which means when one dies, you lose that much more.

I have a fair amount of hard drive space, but I like to use optical discs to back it up, and archive it. I trust blank media more than I trust a hard drive.

Any optical media is going to have a higher failure rate than hard-disks. Gone are the days where I know anyone that uses optical media to back-up. If you’re that concerned with losing data, then you run hard-disks in a raid array, mirrored. Still cheaper and more reliable than using optical. Why anyone would want to spend £20 on a 50gb bd-r (4x) is beyond me, especially when you can buy a 250gb hard-disk for £30. The cost per gigabyte is an absolute rip-off for bd-r, and it makes me sad to think people are wasting time and money on this junk. Optical puts the ‘fill’ into ‘landfill’ !

well yah its a ripoff for bd-r now, but the price will come down. Dual-Layers are ok. A buck for 8.5gb’s or 20 cents for 4.5. so for dual layer thats 850 gigs for 100 bux, or with single layer 2200 gigs for 100 bux. So its competitive with hard drives (and a little cheaper if your files can fit on a single layer dvd). Optical media may fail, but the odds of 500gb’s worth of discs simutenously failing are none to slim.

I use quality dvd’s for my burners, and i used to use cd’s back in the day. And they all still work. I’m not against hard drives… I just don’t trust them.

I look forward to the day when bd-r pricing comes down… the extra space on optical media would be greatly appreciated.

I’m pretty sure BDRebuilder, BDShrink, CloneBD etc will come out so if BD-R price is down, making blu-ray backups will be a lot more fun.

I think I am going to have to get a BD drive for my comp soon.

hax0rth0r: I have three BD drive and love them. I usually shop ebay for cheap BD blanks and can get BD-R 25GB for $4-5 shipped. That’s better than DVD+R DL price per gb ratio. :cool:

@ hax & blue - LOL, what an enormous waste of money. I bet you still use floppy disks aswell :doh:

“If you’re that concerned with losing data, then you run hard-disks in a raid array, mirrored”

Ah yes cause Raids are easily portable and easily to add on other peoples systems. They are also real easy to hook up to your tv and watch movies with and easy to store and organize. Do you know exactly what you have on Hard drive 4 right now without looking at it through your computer and I mean every file? Also if you meant a mirroring raid then the price per gigabyte goes down so if you spend $70 for 1 250gig hard drive that means your going to need to at least buy a second for 70 so that’s $140 for 250 gig’s. If I bought 10 disc’s at 8 dollars a piece (Blue said he can find them for 4-5 bucks but i’m high balling it) that’s 80 bucks. I just saved $60 by going blu ray and I have portablilty with my media to go along with it…

@ blue: I think I’ll get one when I get paid again.
@ Vic_M Whats wrong with floppy disks?? lol.