Ritek DVD+R

Does anyone know what would cause this:

ImgBurn also did this so I thought I’d try it with CD-DVD Speed. OWS is not present on this model so it’s not the issue here.

In my experience the original Pioneer DVD-writers often speed down the burning speed if the PIE raises. Maybe you see at the scan a higher PIE at the mark with the speed down.

My 215 also often have this behaviour

Thank you. I understand this feature is referred to as OWS or “Optimal Write Strategy”. The problem is, this feature is supposed to be present only on DVR-116 and higher, so I can’t disable it. ImgBurn throws an error if I try to in the advanced settings. Oh well, I guess the burn quality is probably at its best at 8x anyways with these discs.

I also wanted to ask about the jumper blocks on the back of the drive. Besides Master/Slave/CS, there are two more pairs of jumpers. I tried them both, I don’t know what it is they do exactly. Any idea?

Sold as: Maxell DVD+R 16GB (obtained without spindle label, only bare discs)
MID: Ritek F16
Burned with: Pioneer DVR-115D Firmware “1.22-General”, 16X (~8x)
Hub Code: SEI912300700A07 (Manufactured December 30th, 2009)
Stamper Code: VR5F16-00704 PD

RitekF1616x3

This was burned at “16x”, but actually only went up to 10x or so in the beginning and then throttled to 8x for some reason. Oddly, a better result than when burned at purely 8x (but this might have something to do with the way I filled the disc. This time I did it with CD-DVD Speed, but I usually do it with ImgBurn. The difference is ImgBurn fills the disc with zeros and CD-DVD Speed writes actual data). Either that wasthe cause, the 8x burn was a glitch, or perhaps the discs are getting better towards the middle of the pile. Either way, this will be the new benchmark reference disc for the 1-year deterioration review.

I may do some further testing because of the quantity of these that I have.

The other jumper settings are only reserve

The PIE increased a bit before the writer is shifting down, but there is not much to see. But I remember many burns from my 215 which shows a big increase of PIE before it speeds down. Happened often if I burned 16x or higher. And the 215 offers with a lot of 16x-media higher speeds, but was rarely able to reach the chosen speed because of speed down.

But overall it´s one of the best writers I ever had (and I had/have a lot)

Pioneers actual BDR-drives are also very good DVD-burn-quality but can´t remember it speed down 16x burns.

So far this is the only disc where the Pioneer has performed well (as in, given a writing quality in order of magnitude greater than any other burner for this particular media). That’s why it’s important to have a bunch of different drives for different media.

I wonder if by “reserve” they mean it’s not electrically connected to anything (and it’s meant to store “reserve” jumpers), or perhaps they mean they’re not telling us what it is. On old Plextor CDRW drives, the extra jumper pair was to enable UDMA33.

Either way, some more tests should be run here soon enough to see if the straight 8x burn matches the quality of the pseudo-16x burn. Running some write strategy swap experiments right now with an Optiarc and some Ritek G05.

Is the 115 directly connected to the mainboard or via addtional Controller/USB?

I use my 215, which is the 115 with a SATA-interface, mostly for older media. Had very good results with Ricohjpn R01 and OPTODISCR004

Very impressive indeed. Yes, absolutely… All my drives are connected straight to Intel IDE ports. Would never dream of doing something like that for these tests… In the future, I intend to do an update to a previous thread here which has to do with IDE ATAPI controllers. I’ve got SIL0680 and ITE8212 (both flashed to their latest ATAPI-particular BIOS), and I also hope to test AMD/ATI’s PATA controller (which is compatible from SB450 to SB900). I hope to conduct the AMD test with both PCIIDE.sys and AMDIDE.sys (or amdide64.sys).

OK, thats a good confuguration. I have drives which shift down the burning speed if Buffer Underrun was prevented to much because of slow connection.

Sadly my ITE which I bought more than 10 years ago wasn´t flashable and with Raid-Bios it was not compatible to ODDs

The Sil0680 works good and reliable, but it´s better to use not more than one drive at the same moment

Send it to me I can swap the BIOS chip for you if you want. I had to desolder my ITE to flash it.

Don´t own this controller anymore because it was complete useless the time I tried it :frowning:

Not relevant with the topic, but the only controller I have found so far that works with two optical drives simultaneously without slowing down is an Asmedia 106x PCI Express x4.

Writer: LiteOn iHAS 124 W
Firmware: HL0G
Media: Edeka DVD+R 16x
MID: (RITEK F16)
Burn Speed: 12x
Software: Nero 7
Burned 2019
Scanned 2019

Burned 2/08/2019 @8x
Burned with: Optiarc AD-7200s
Discs, Sony dvd+r 50 spindle
MID: RITEK f16
Imgburn

1 Like

Identical result with DVR-215D drive I picked up today (16x, throttling mode engaged):

At 4x:

Better at 8x:

So writing at 16x which triggers the “throttling” mode on the 115D and 215D produces a good result for this media, but not straight out actually writing at 8x. Does anyone understand well enough the intricacies of Pioneer firmware to be able to fully explain this phenomenon?

Is this automatically activated?

My 215 also like to speed down while burning if 16x or higher speed is used. Sometimes it´s clearly to see the slowdown is at the point the PIE raises.

Maybe the 4x writing-strategy is not optimized for this media

Yes. I have no way of controlling it.

I can hypothesize what’s happening… at 16x, it rises steadily but then drops back to 8x for the majority of the burn. The reason why this 8x isn’t the same as setting it at 8x manually is because the “throttled” 8x is a different writing strategy.

The question is which write strategy does the throttle mode employ… I can experiment further by swapping write strategies… I have plenty of these discs, I don’t mind wasting them.

I know this behaviour from original-Pioneer DVD RW drives (BD-R-drives not). But in your scan I don´t see the reason why it speeds down, the error-rates were at this point OK

This could be something very specific in the firmware for Ritek F16… Only someone familiar enough with this or someone smarter than us, or perhaps someone who could reverse-engineer the firmware could tell us.

…I’ll have to test 16x speed with something other than Ritek F16 to see if it really ever is willing to do a 16x burn.

I had speeddowns on my 215 with RITEKF1, PRODISCF02, MBIPG101 R05, CMC MAG M01

I had sucessfull high speed burns with 20x for MCC 03RG20.

18x-burns with CMC MAG. AM3, TTH02, UME02, AML 003, SONY D21 and even one time with MBIPG101 R05

Speeddowns with MCC004, TYG03 and YUDEN 000 T03 from 20x to 16x; but with the TY the speeddowns came after 90% of the disc

1 Like

Do you have anything higher than a 115 or 215?

It would be interesting to see if there’s a different result with this disabled:

pioneers

There’s no OWS support on the 115/215 (I think we discussed this earlier).