Ritek DVD+R

This is an infamous and very obscure writer. Could you post more test results with different media types?

I will try :wink:

But already had some coasters which can´t be scanned because if write canceling or hanging at leadout

Bought this drive for some € used, dunno if it´s a real bad writer itself or is much used/dirty

It is one of the most interesting drives ever produced - the MID strategies in the early versions of firmware were mostly random and nonsensical. The engineers have no clue how to properly made them. The hardware was very similar to early LiteOn drives but was quity buggy and unreliable (at least some batches or revisions).

The drive is heavy and “feels” well processed. BTC have a media-list for some of their writers, but it doesn´t mean it works good with that :wink:

http://www.btc.com.tw/english/3-1-4driver_download_dvd_dual.htm

http://www.btc.com.tw/drivers/zip/dvd_dual/ChangeList_DRW1108.htm

These pages are very hard to find, but still exist

Writer: LG GH22NS50
Firmware: TN03
Media: Edeka DVD+R 16x
MID: (RITEK F16)
Burn Speed: 12x
Software: Imgburn 2.5.8.0
Burned 2019
Scanned 2019

1 Like

Writer: Pioneer DVR-S21WBK
Firmware: PR00
Media: Edeka DVD+R 16x
MID: (RITEK F16)
Burn Speed: 8x
Software: Nero 7
Burned 2019
Scanned 2019

Good :slight_smile:

2 Likes

do you know anything about f16 longevity, because these are really nice scans but can you trust ritek?

Hard to say.

I made different experiences with same MID but different manufacture date. Can´t say if actual F16 is comparable with the media 10 years ago.

The oldest scan I had with F16 was labeled by Fujifilm. I can show the scan from Jan. 2008 and March 2017, but with different scan drives

In my experience Ritek DVD-media is much better than it´s reputation. Many ppl hate Ritek because of G05 which had big quality problems. I still have one from 2005 or 2006 which have higher error-rate than after the burn, but it´s still readable at max. Speed. I had worse ones, but overall I´m pleased with Ritek, except the BD-R and some old Cyanine-CD-R

Yes i saw this f series apparently uses fuji oxonal dye.
but have a look at this other person’s historical scans, makes ritek f16 look unstable

im unsure what to believe

It´s your choice :wink:

I have also bad experience with INFOMER30, but other ppl not.

My eorst experience I have with cheap Bulkpaq, MCC 02RG20 MID( Fake-MID). Some media had after one year extreme high error-rates,but this media varies so much, maybe other discs work much better and longer

What do you think of these results posted here:
https://club.myce.com/t/verbatim-ritek-f16-001/283675/20

Gonna try it on a Pioneer DVDRW here… So far the results are nothing like that guy’s. But these are Maxell F16, not Verbatim.

I have a whole spindle of Maxell F16s. I can replicate this test to see if it has poor longevity.

hey yes please if you can

Does anyone know what would cause this:

ImgBurn also did this so I thought I’d try it with CD-DVD Speed. OWS is not present on this model so it’s not the issue here.

In my experience the original Pioneer DVD-writers often speed down the burning speed if the PIE raises. Maybe you see at the scan a higher PIE at the mark with the speed down.

My 215 also often have this behaviour

Thank you. I understand this feature is referred to as OWS or “Optimal Write Strategy”. The problem is, this feature is supposed to be present only on DVR-116 and higher, so I can’t disable it. ImgBurn throws an error if I try to in the advanced settings. Oh well, I guess the burn quality is probably at its best at 8x anyways with these discs.

I also wanted to ask about the jumper blocks on the back of the drive. Besides Master/Slave/CS, there are two more pairs of jumpers. I tried them both, I don’t know what it is they do exactly. Any idea?

Sold as: Maxell DVD+R 16GB (obtained without spindle label, only bare discs)
MID: Ritek F16
Burned with: Pioneer DVR-115D Firmware “1.22-General”, 16X (~8x)
Hub Code: SEI912300700A07 (Manufactured December 30th, 2009)
Stamper Code: VR5F16-00704 PD

RitekF1616x3

This was burned at “16x”, but actually only went up to 10x or so in the beginning and then throttled to 8x for some reason. Oddly, a better result than when burned at purely 8x (but this might have something to do with the way I filled the disc. This time I did it with CD-DVD Speed, but I usually do it with ImgBurn. The difference is ImgBurn fills the disc with zeros and CD-DVD Speed writes actual data). Either that wasthe cause, the 8x burn was a glitch, or perhaps the discs are getting better towards the middle of the pile. Either way, this will be the new benchmark reference disc for the 1-year deterioration review.

I may do some further testing because of the quantity of these that I have.

The other jumper settings are only reserve

The PIE increased a bit before the writer is shifting down, but there is not much to see. But I remember many burns from my 215 which shows a big increase of PIE before it speeds down. Happened often if I burned 16x or higher. And the 215 offers with a lot of 16x-media higher speeds, but was rarely able to reach the chosen speed because of speed down.

But overall it´s one of the best writers I ever had (and I had/have a lot)

Pioneers actual BDR-drives are also very good DVD-burn-quality but can´t remember it speed down 16x burns.

So far this is the only disc where the Pioneer has performed well (as in, given a writing quality in order of magnitude greater than any other burner for this particular media). That’s why it’s important to have a bunch of different drives for different media.

I wonder if by “reserve” they mean it’s not electrically connected to anything (and it’s meant to store “reserve” jumpers), or perhaps they mean they’re not telling us what it is. On old Plextor CDRW drives, the extra jumper pair was to enable UDMA33.

Either way, some more tests should be run here soon enough to see if the straight 8x burn matches the quality of the pseudo-16x burn. Running some write strategy swap experiments right now with an Optiarc and some Ritek G05.

Is the 115 directly connected to the mainboard or via addtional Controller/USB?

I use my 215, which is the 115 with a SATA-interface, mostly for older media. Had very good results with Ricohjpn R01 and OPTODISCR004

Very impressive indeed. Yes, absolutely… All my drives are connected straight to Intel IDE ports. Would never dream of doing something like that for these tests… In the future, I intend to do an update to a previous thread here which has to do with IDE ATAPI controllers. I’ve got SIL0680 and ITE8212 (both flashed to their latest ATAPI-particular BIOS), and I also hope to test AMD/ATI’s PATA controller (which is compatible from SB450 to SB900). I hope to conduct the AMD test with both PCIIDE.sys and AMDIDE.sys (or amdide64.sys).

OK, thats a good confuguration. I have drives which shift down the burning speed if Buffer Underrun was prevented to much because of slow connection.

Sadly my ITE which I bought more than 10 years ago wasn´t flashable and with Raid-Bios it was not compatible to ODDs

The Sil0680 works good and reliable, but it´s better to use not more than one drive at the same moment