Ritek DL D01 = what burner

I have come to the conclusion that my LG 4163B is defective in design in relation to Ritek D01 Dual Layer discs. I am now on my second 4163B (I just bought a second new one at a great price).

With the old one I had a VERY poor record trying to burn Ritek DL discs…maybe 50% if I was lucky. So I stopped buying them. The error was almost always a tracking error, usually but not always when going to the layer change.

My solution was to stop buying Ritek discs and use Verbatim DL. With the Verbatim I’ve gotten a 100% reliability. The downside is that the Verbatim costs a lot more.

Now that I bought the new burner I decided to try that one on my main computer. I thought maybe the older one was less than perfect in build and maybe the new one will give me better results with Ritek DL Media. I also updated to firmware A105.

Well, I bought 2 3-packs of Memorex DVD+R DL (Ritek D01) I’ve burned 5 so far with only 2 good discs !!!
All the others had a failure at the layer change!!!

Now what I don’t understand is that merchants sell the Memorex-Ritek DL discs here by the boxfull. How can it be that everyone using them gets such a poor result. If that were the case people would be complaining and the merchants would stop carrying this product! My belief is that the 4163B can not burn on these discs…but I can’t understand why???
After all this time can’t LG get a decent writing strategy for these discs.

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM???
Maybe I should have bought a different burner.
Can anyone tell me what burner gets good reliability with Ritek D01?

What the hell?

This is now a triple-post!!

Sorry chef, I’ll stop right now :frowning:

I was hoping to get a recommendation on another burner … If I need one at all.
The media post is to see opinions on the media. The LG post is to see if LG4163 users are having the same problem, and this post is to hear from people who use this media reliably if they even exist…
My bad

Locked due to crosspost: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=151792

@chef , please use the “Report bad post” button -->