Ritek and Ricoh relationship

I recently ordered some of the new Ritek 8x DVD+R media from Meritline. After two weeks I finally received my shipment. I opened one and checked it with DVD Identifier. What it told me was that I had Ricoh media!

RICOHJPN-R01-002 (2.4x - 4x)

That sounded familiar so I popped in some TDK branded blanks I had previously had a problem with and they showed exactly the same ID as the “so called” Ritek media.

I called Meritline and was told by the only live person I could get on the phone (tech support) that Ricoh and Ritek are the same company and that the Ricoh media was actually better.

What gives? Are Ricoh and Ritek the same?

I kept calling back until I talked with someone in customer service. I told her I had ordered 8x Ritek and received 4x Ricoh. She said I could return it. I said I wanted them to pay the shipping back because it was their mistake. She put me on hold and after 10 minutes of waiting I got transfered to an unknown voice mail box and that was the end of the call.

Meritline advertised 8x Ritek and sent me 4x Ricoh that I can buy locally cheaper than what they charged me for it.

Anyone run into this issue.

I have only ordred from Meritline once before. I may never order from them again. Their customer service was as bad as I have experienced. It would help if they could speak English.

Thanks for any information.

[B]I recently ordered some of the new Ritek 8x DVD+R media from Meritline. After two weeks I finally received my shipment. I opened one and checked it with DVD Identifier. What it told me was that I had Ricoh media!

RICOHJPN-R01-002 (2.4x - 4x)

That sounded familiar so I popped in some TDK branded blanks I had previously had a problem with and they showed exactly the same ID as the “so called” Ritek media.

I called Meritline and was told by the only live person I could get on the phone (tech support) that Ricoh and Ritek are the same company and that the Ricoh media was actually better.

What gives? Are Ricoh and Ritek the same?[/B]

It is true. RITEK make most, if not all of Ricoh’s DVD+R/RW discs.

[B]I kept calling back until I talked with someone in customer service. I told her I had ordered 8x Ritek and received 4x Ricoh. She said I could return it. I said I wanted them to pay the shipping back because it was their mistake. She put me on hold and after 10 minutes of waiting I got transfered to an unknown voice mail box and that was the end of the call.

Meritline advertised 8x Ritek and sent me 4x Ricoh that I can buy locally cheaper than what they charged me for it.

Anyone run into this issue.

I have only ordred from Meritline once before. I may never order from them again. Their customer service was as bad as I have experienced. It would help if they could speak English.

Thanks for any information. [/B]

This is a screw-up by RITEK and/or Meritline and has been talked about before elsewhere. Real RITEK 8x DVD+R should have a RICOHJNPR02 or RITEKR03 manufacturer’s ID.

Read this thread for more details:
Ritek 8x DVD+R Media Screwup

Also, read this news article:
Ritek 8x DVD+R Media - Update

Good luck trying to return these discs to Meritline - it seems that their customer service leaves a lot to be desired!
Attn: Meritline Member

Thanks for the great information.

It would appear that after all the mess that went on with this media Meritline would have stopped shipping this stuff. My order was placed on December 22, well after the Ritek letter to Meritline. They farted around and did not ship it until December 26 so they had more than enough time to know what they were doing.

Now, I would have thought that when I called I would not get the runaround like I did unless they intended to dupe as many folks as possible.

Perhaps they will answer their phone tomorrow. At this point I want a full refund including shipping and I want them to pay to get these non 8x blanks back.

Lots of luck to me I guess…:wink:

There is a more indepth thread about this at CDRLabs http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=14048

Thanks…I have been there. The most interesting place is Meritline’s own forum. Their customers are giving them a beating over this. Unfortunatlely, Meritline has apparently put its telephones on auto pilot because I called several times an hour all day yesterday and not once did I actually get to talk with a live person. About half the time the line was busy. I guess everyone is calling them.

Originally posted by terminalvelocd
[B]It is true. RITEK make most, if not all of Ricoh’s DVD+R/RW discs.

[/B]
I think you are mistaken. Ritek sells Media code RITEK and RICOH. Ricoh sells only RICOH.

Any of these 8x DVD+R’s worth buying? Are the burns better than those made to 4x media at 8x? Are they better when burned at 4x?

I need to replace my DVD media supply and dont know whether to buy the same Memorex 4x thats been given me trouble (though with the new firmware update its improved HS0K), buy the Ritek G04’s or the new 8x R03’s…

Any info would be appreciated…

Originally posted by nmpaulcp
I think you are mistaken. Ritek sells Media code RITEK and RICOH. Ricoh sells only RICOH.

Nope, it has been known for some time now that RiTEK make CD-Rs and DVD+R/RWs for Ricoh. Ricoh supplies the technology and RiTEK does the manufacturing.

Originally posted by terminalvelocd
Nope, it has been known for some time now that RiTEK make CD-Rs and DVD+R/RWs for Ricoh. Ricoh supplies the technology and RiTEK does the manufacturing.

Not sure about who is manufacturing or supplying technology. I just stated that Ritek brand name have both media codes RITEK and RICOHxxx. Ricoh sells only RICOHxxx

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nmpaulcp
Not sure about who is manufacturing or supplying technology. I just stated that Ritek brand name have both media codes RITEK and RICOHxxx. Ricoh sells only RICOHxxx [/QUOTE

Yup, that sounds right! :slight_smile:

It’s funny though, in the past, Ricoh did sell some CD-Rs with RiTEK’s ATIP code…

i keep reading and hearing how ritek’s are supposedly the best dvdr’s out and most reliable, but how are ricoh’s compared to them??

how would u guys rank ricoh’s compared to say ritek, CMC, MCC, taiyo yuden?

thanks!

Ricoh does not make DVD-R, and Ritek makes the Ricoh DVD+R, so comparisons aren’t really possible.
Ritek DVD-R is average quality and can vary greatly from batch to batch. Ricoh DVD+R is equally variable in quality.
Nothing compares to TY media, except possibly Maxell -R.

I was under the impression that the media code corresponded with the actual manufacturer ie. Ricoh brand has only media code RICOH xxxx and Ritek will have media codes RITEK and RICOH xxx figuring Ricoh brand was made by Ricoh only. While Ritek was made by either Ritek or Ricoh. Is this correct ?

You have it backwards, Ricoh +R is made by Ritek using Ricoh materials. But media tests indicate it’s probably the same stuff.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Ricoh DVD+R is equally variable in quality.

I don’t agree. Besides some scratched overprinted Bulkpaq’s the Ricoh media I’ve bought have always been very good. I think it’s more of a firmware-media problem if you get so variable results.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
You have it backwards, Ricoh +R is made by Ritek using Ricoh materials. But media tests indicate it’s probably the same stuff.

What media tests? Ritek and Ricoh media have complete different ATIP info (OPC info etc) so I don’t think so.

It took me bugging the hell out of them, but I finally have my issues with Meritline resolved. I received my refund today.

These folks will NEVER get anymore of my business. Most readers of these forums know they (Meritline) don’t usually return calls and their customer support is almost non existant.

In the weeks I have been fighting with them to accept the media they incorrectly sent me (they knew what they were doing) and then to get my refund I have some information that might help others.

Evelyn is the operator and about the only one you might ever talk to.

If you need to talk to someone about a return you need to talk to Sang at extension 127.

If you paid by Pay Pal have a dispute or need a refund processed you need to talk with Val at extension 119.

Unfotunately, you have to stay on their case to get things set right.

The best thing to do is not do business with them in the first place.

I hope others with Meritline order problems can get them worked out. Use the extension numbers and try to talk directly to the folks.

CDL

Can somebody refresh my memory. Is ritek made by ricoh or is it vice versa? What is the relationship between the two? I read it somewhere but can’t remember. Thankyou.

Just use the Search feature > Advanced Search … typing there your subject
and you’re gonna get plenty of answers in a jiffy. :wink:

Originally Posted by koba

Ricoh (1st comapny to produce CD-RW and CD-RW burner) being one of the first comapanies producing DVD+R also has good quality medias. But the problem with Ricoh is that being one of the first to produce they dont have their own factory. Ricoh gave Ritek all the know-how on producing the Discs and still today Ricoh is just doing quality control on the discs Ritek produces for them.

Yeah so basically it’s ritek’s tools but with ricoh’s blueprints :wink: