Ritek and CMC are preparing to begin production of HD-DVD discs

vbimport

I just posted the article Ritek and CMC are preparing to begin production of HD-DVD discs.

More news
from Digitimes today as the website reports that Ritek and CMC are
preparing to begin the production of HD-DVD discs. The production lines of
CMC should be up and running in…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10131-Ritek-and-CMC-are-preparing-to-begin-production-of-HD-DVD-discs.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10131-Ritek-and-CMC-are-preparing-to-begin-production-of-HD-DVD-discs.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I think RITEK & CMC make crappy DVD blanks, particularly CMC, and sometimes very variable in quality, I would not trust them with HD-DVD… I hope this is not over for DVD… I don’t want to be FORCED to get new authoring software or dvd recorders.
[edited by Rimmer66 on 13.04.2005 10:14]

DVD is still just gaining steam. Check back in two years when we have affordable dual layer media :wink:

Rimmer, You won’t be “forced” to do anything. As others have already pointed out in other threads, HD-DVD and Blu-ray will probably take a while to gain acceptance because people just laid out money to buy movies in DVD format and DVD players. Most won’t be so willing to do so for the new format so soon. I think the make or break for either format is gonna come from the computer market as computer users are more willing (and are almost forced to due to HD and program bloat since it even takes a lot of DVD R’s to back up a HD) to utilize new storage technology. As far as authoring software, they will all, eventually support both HD and BR writers. So when you normally upgrade your software, at some point, one of those upgrades will include the capability to write HD and BR discs, whether you choose to use that capability is up to you. I really don’t think you have to worry about DVD’s going away so quickly.:slight_smile: