Ritek acquires technology to manufacture 100 gigabyte discs

I just posted the article Ritek acquires technology to manufacture 100 gigabyte discs.

Ritek has announced it has acquired a technology using near-field recording (NFR) for DVDs from the Center for Nanostorage Research (CNR) of the National Taiwan University (NTU). With…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8740-Ritek-acquires-technology-to-manufacture-100-gigabyte-discs.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8740-Ritek-acquires-technology-to-manufacture-100-gigabyte-discs.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Looks like the good old red laser still has some life in it yet. Now we just need a company committed to making the recorders and players for these discs.

When I’ll see it, I’ll believe it.

ya, but if they make the recording marks super small, then will damage to it ( ie a small scratch on the surface) be more likely to result in data loss? i would think that would be the case.

man, now we’re freaking talking! if this comes to fruition it would be excellent. it would be wonderful backing up all my trance and house to one disc!!

macrovisionsux, the marks were already that small on CDs and DVDs anyway. The trick is to put a protective layer over the recording surface to reduce the chances of damage. It would be great if it was available tomorrow, but by the time this comes out, we’ll all have three times the amount of data to store.

cquinn, wow, i didnt even think of that… yeah, 5 years out and we’ll all have terabyte hard drives needing backup:d

The smaller the pits, then more of them will be unreadable by a scratch on the disc than if the pits were bigger. The trick here is to interleave the sectors and have a strong error detection/correction algorithm.

The trick here is to buy HDDs. They’ll come cheaper. Think about it. A 200 GB HDD costs under $ 200, and that equals (considerring storage space) about 25 DL DVDs which cost $ 10 each (cheapest price @reasonable quality I could find). According to arithmetics, it’s cheaper and faster to buy a HDD. Consider hotplug SATA HDDs and you’ve solved the puzzle.