Risk in overclocking?

Hi, I have a LTR 32123S and I want to know which risks makes overclocking to 40S. I think that isn´t worth to do it only to gain Mt Rainier and 1 minute less in toast CD´s, so I prefer to copy CD´s slower if that means my CDR works fine.

Would someone report me any problems caused by overcliocking it?

Thanks

Hello escalant,

I’ve overclocked mine and two others and so far not even the slightest problem. I understand you are reluctant to overclock it. Here is my advice. Overclock it (I think it’s not the right word, but you know what I mean), and then use it at max 32. Why ? Because you benefit the P-CAV feature and trust me it worth it. And burning in 32x should not stress the mechanic more than before. So you have better quality CD and you feel secure :wink:

But IMHO, you can safely burn at higher speed :wink:

Bye,
Fred

Thanks, I think I´ll overclock it :slight_smile:

Does it mean that originally my burner doesn´t copy at 32? And can it copy at 40?

Ah, is it possible go back and recover my burner with the older firmware so it´s LTR 32123S again?

Originally posted by escalant

Does it mean that originally my burner doesn´t copy at 32? And can it copy at 40?

No it mean that if you prefer to not stress your drive then overclock it to 40x but burn your cd at 32x. Basicaly, you have a 40x drive but you burn only at 32x. Why 32 ? Because it’s the original speed(before overclocking) of your 32123S. So you are sure that you never exceed original characteristic. But if you wish you can select any other speed, like other 40x writers.

Originally posted by escalant

Ah, is it possible go back and recover my burner with the older firmware so it´s LTR 32123S again?

No problemo, simply use MTKFLASH with a 32123S .bin

One more advice : backup your firmware before a flash. Go to the MTKFLASH guide to known how.

Bye,
Fred.

I think you are a little bit out of line here. I dont think the mechanics will suffer from the higher speeds because its the same stuff in the 32x burners as in the 48x ones (please correct me if im wrong here). As far as i understand its a chip thingie this with overclocking your drive and in no way related to hardware issues, maybe besides the laser…once again, please correct me if im wrong:-)

Yes, internal components sould not be stressed more than before. The laser is also probably the same in the drives (laser is just about the only thing that wears out, but it takes a long time for it to do).

For the P-CAV !

No problems reported so far other than what you car read in the sticky one.

Originally posted by E-Buzz
I think you are a little bit out of line here. I dont think the mechanics will suffer from the higher speeds because its the same stuff in the 32x burners as in the 48x ones (please correct me if im wrong here). As far as i understand its a chip thingie this with overclocking your drive and in no way related to hardware issues, maybe besides the laser…once again, please correct me if im wrong:-)

To E-Buzz :
We are talking about 32123S so this is not the same as 32125W wich is the same as 40125W and 48125W. The firmware that allow it to burn at 40x is here only to sell their stock of 32123S to a higher price. But the 32123S modified to 40125S is definitively not a real 40125S.

My point was to encourage escalant to overclock his drive and tell him that if he want to feel secure, then he should write at 32x. So no speed gain (well in fact a little) but P-CAV.
Personnaly I burn at 40x with my modified 32123S.

To Airhead :
I agree with you : when you speed up your writer you increase the power of the laser and then you could lower its lifetime. But mechanicaly, the 32123S can read at 40x so it can certainly write at 40x without any problems.

Originally posted by fredsky
[B]

To E-Buzz :
We are talking about 32123S so this is not the same as 32125W wich is the same as 40125W and 48125W. The firmware that allow it to burn at 40x is here only to sell their stock of 32123S to a higher price. But the 32123S modified to 40125S is definitively not a real 40125S.

My point was to encourage escalant to overclock his drive and tell him that if he want to feel secure, then he should write at 32x. So no speed gain (well in fact a little) but P-CAV.
Personnaly I burn at 40x with my modified 32123S.

To Airhead :
I agree with you : when you speed up your writer you increase the power of the laser and then you could lower its lifetime. But mechanicaly, the 32123S can read at 40x so it can certainly write at 40x without any problems. [/B]

Ahhhh, thank you for clarifying this, now i know the difference:-)…