Ripping Volume Levels are Clipping

vbimport

Hello all,

I have searched all over the net for an answer to my problem and came up with nothing. So here I am hoping for an answer.

Frequently when I rip a music CD (using my Samsung or Memorex DVD drives), when I look at the waveform, the music levels are heavily clipped.

I have ripped using SoundForge 7.0, Windows Media Player, and a couple of other programs, all with the same result. I have reduced all recording levels on the sound card to zero (even though I know it’s not going through it), same result.

Reducing volume levels or normalizing or anything else after the ripping operation does not, of course, eliminate the clipped peaks.

I cannot find a way to attenuate the data amplitude level coming out of the cd rom drive so that the signal levels are not clipped, other than doing a real-time analog recording and having control over the recording level that way.

How can the digital signal’s amplitude be reduced coming out of the cd-rom drive?

Thank you for any guidance on this.

Digital Dog

Use a better software for ripping and better drives if possible.

If you could be a little more specific as to what a better drive and software is, I’d appreciate it.

Am I to infer that “better” drives or software will allow me to control the signal level coming out of the drive?

Thanks.

digital dog, you have created two threads in different forums with the exact same content (except for the title).

This is called “cross posting” and is not allowed on CDFreaks.
One of the reasons for this is that it may create double work for other members of the forum, and people will waste their time responding to something that have already been answered in the other cross-posted thread.

Why don’t you read my reply to your post over in the other thread you started?!

There’s a good chance that my reply answers your question, especially if you read the Wikipedia article I linked to. :wink:

I’m very sorry about the cross thread. Won’t happen again. Thank you for the reply on the other thread.

This one will be closed.

The other will remain open