Ripping to Mobile HELP!

vbimport

Hey all,

I just started using DVDFab and I love the software. Recently I have been experiencing some strange problems with it though. First, some hardware specs, I’m on a Win XP box, Intel 915D 2.66ghz chip, 2gb of ram and I’m using a Pioneer DVDR115 drive (got the suggestion for that drive off this forum).

Anyway, when I rip to mobile using xvid.avi at almost any high frame rate (I have tested from 3k all the way to 5k) I get a weird pixelation issue. Every now and then, and it’s totally random, the screen will have green pixels in certain sections, even in the black letterbox bars. Sometimes the whole screen is green. Also, sometimes the pixels are black but most times green.

I’ve tried uninstalling using the instructions on the guide found on the forum but that didn’t seem to help. And I did everything, the defrag, the reg cleaner… still no improvement.

In the mean time I am ripping using h264.mp4 audiocopy and it takes so much longer, but no green pixels or anything. Does anyone have any idea what’s going on with the xvid.avi? What could cause this to happen? If you need any more info please let me know.

Thanks!

Firstly, may I ask the question?

Why so high a bitrate?

I get great results at 1100KB @ DVD resolution, so why go higher?

Do me a favour and try the generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy profile at 1100KB, 2 pass and post back results.

Also have a look at the quality.

[quote=GregiBoy;2002427]Firstly, may I ask the question?

Why so high a bitrate?

I get great results at 1100KB @ DVD resolution, so why go higher?

Do me a favour and try the generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy profile at 1100KB, 2 pass and post back results.

Also have a look at the quality.[/quote]

I will give it a go. I was thinking the higher the bit rate, the better. Especially since I am watching the movies using media sharing from my computer to my xbox360. So the movies end up being on my 51" TV. Trying the settings you recommended now. Thanks so much for the reply, I really appreciate it.

Ok, I gave it a go on 1100 and the quality is too low. No green pixels though. So I am going to slowly bump it up to see if there is a point where the quality is good and the green pixels are gone.

If anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks.

Great idea. Let me know how you you get on.

I suspect that the “green pixels” are caused by the XBox not being able to decode to the TV fast enough.

What resolution did you use?

I find the best results for a 16:9 DVD are 720 x 400 for PAL, 704 x 400 for NTSC.

If you go larger than that, what you are doing is making the software “upscale” the video and you get less than optimal results.

Leave the upscaling to your TV as they have invested heaps of $$$ in the chips that do this.

Glad I could help.

Greg

[quote=GregiBoy;2002500]Great idea. Let me know how you you get on.

I suspect that the “green pixels” are caused by the XBox not being able to decode to the TV fast enough.

What resolution did you use?

I find the best results for a 16:9 DVD are 720 x 400 for PAL, 704 x 400 for NTSC.

If you go larger than that, what you are doing is making the software “upscale” the video and you get less than optimal results.

Leave the upscaling to your TV as they have invested heaps of $$$ in the chips that do this.

Glad I could help.

Greg[/quote]

Hey Greg,

Thanks again for the help. The green pixels appear on both my computer and on the xbox during the playback. So I don’t think it’s an Xbox problem. I rip my 16:9 to 768x432 and for full screen 4:3 I do 640x480. So maybe my size (768x432) is too big. That was the default though so I didn’t think to change it.

Also at 2650kbs I still was getting low quality with green pixelation. I am looknig at a full screen version of Kung Fu Hustle. And during the fight scenes is where I get the most pixelation and quality loss.

Thanks

[QUOTE=azlord2;2002911]Hey Greg,

Thanks again for the help. The green pixels appear on both my computer and on the xbox during the playback. So I don’t think it’s an Xbox problem. I rip my 16:9 to 768x432 and for full screen 4:3 I do 640x480. So maybe my size (768x432) is too big. That was the default though so I didn’t think to change it.

Also at 2650kbs I still was getting low quality with green pixelation. I am looknig at a full screen version of Kung Fu Hustle. And during the fight scenes is where I get the most pixelation and quality loss.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Here’s another tip…

Rip one of these dvds to a folder on your HDD.

Download GSpot (Google it)

Then use GSpot to open one of the VOB’s in the set. This will give you the resolution at which the DVD is composed.

If you need some guidance here, post the screenshot of the GSpot info.

Then match that resolution as your target resolution in FAB and then it will be doing a pixel-for-pixel transform rather than an interpolation which will occur if the sizes don’t match.

Hope this helps.

[quote=GregiBoy;2002996]Here’s another tip…

Rip one of these dvds to a folder on your HDD.

Download GSpot (Google it)

Then use GSpot to open one of the VOB’s in the set. This will give you the resolution at which the DVD is composed.

If you need some guidance here, post the screenshot of the GSpot info.

Then match that resolution as your target resolution in FAB and then it will be doing a pixel-for-pixel transform rather than an interpolation which will occur if the sizes don’t match.

Hope this helps.[/quote]

Hey Greg,

Thanks again, I downloaded GSpot and took a quick look. I selected the path to a VOB file on the DVD, but for some reason, it said the dimensions were 720x480… which is widescreen, the movie is actually full screen. Does that sound correct? I know you mentioned ripping the VOB to my desktop first, I didn’t do that. Is this the reason for the inconsistency?

I tried another rip earlier, and bumped the dimensions to 576x432 and there were no green pixels or weirdness when playing on my computer. I’m going to take a look now on the TV and see the quality.

I will post back and let you know what happens.

Thanks so much for your continued help!

I’ve tried everything and nothing seems to get me a file that doesn’t get green pixels, or very bad pixelation. So, with that said, I am reformatting my drives, reinstalling windows and the codecs and then trying again.

Hopefully this will help.