Ripping Problems (Blu-Ray)

vbimport

I’m a total n00b and I couldn’t find the Blu ray region to post a question, so I hope it’s okay to ask here.

I just got a new Blu Ray burner (ATAPI iHBS112) and successfully ripped a movie (Brothers) that took about 40 minutes to rip/burn using a BD25 disc and setting the option on DVDFab as such, BD25 as opposed to a dual layer BD50.
Suddenly, when I go to rip another movie (The 4th Kind), it was incredibly slow. Where it was ripping at about 12 mb/s with the first movie, it only ripped at .72 mb/s on the second movie and took roughly 11 hours to rip. Thankfully, the burning only took about 20 minutes. I don’t know why this happened.

I even tried ripping dvds, and it works fast with dvds just not on blu rays.

What I really don’t understand is that when I go to rip and select the BD50 option, it rips at 12 mb/s, but I don’t have any 50 gig discs. Why would it go normal speed for BD50, but go .72 mb/s when I rip for a BD25?! I could really use some help guys, thanks. :frowning:

I also reset my DMA, which didn’t seem to help

Hi illuminati999

The reason it takes longer when you use the BD25 setting is because it is not only ripping it is also doing the compression process at the same time, and compressing 50 gigs down to 25 gigs your compressing a lot of data.

also depending on the protection structure will determine the rip time, Oh yeah one more thing since you stated the BR drive is new you may want to check the firmware of the drive to make sure it is up to date because even though it is new it may have been sitting in the store for a few months and a newer firmware may have been released within that time, if by chance a newer firmware/driver was released it may have been released to improve the reading ability :wink:

[B]SJ[/B]

I have the latest updated drivers for it. But I remember trying to rip the 1st movie (Brothers) again after I saw this huge decrease in speed and it was at .72 mb/s when I had tried it successfully it was at about 12 mb/s. When I do the main movie on the movie to make room on a BD25 disc, I get 99%. Certainly that can’t be the reason for the dramatic decrease in speed, can it? :frowning:

[QUOTE=illuminati999;2549045]I have the latest updated drivers for it. But I remember trying to rip the 1st movie (Brothers) again after I saw this huge decrease in speed and it was at .72 mb/s when I had tried it successfully it was at about 12 mb/s. When I do the main movie on the movie to make room on a BD25 disc, I get 99%. Certainly that can’t be the reason for the dramatic decrease in speed, can it? :([/QUOTE]

If you’re doing movie only then it may be less than 25GB which means compression isn’t needed or require very minimal compression.

I haven’t played around with backing up Blu-rays yet but I’m told it’s relatively common for a movie only version to fit on a BD25.

From what you seem to be saying your particular movie only required 1% compression which is as low as it gets.

[B]Wombler[/B]