Ripping Music cd`s

vbimport

Hi I am a new member who would really appreciate some help or guidance.
For the festive period I decided to buy a boxed set of Christmas Music,rip the music onto my computer, set music player to random and pipe the music.
My experiment has only affected one of the 2 discs and I am reluctant to continue because of this:I am not sure now what procedure I set out on but the result was that my save to folder on the PC received 4 large files of music as opposed to 4 times 6 music tracks.
When I look at the contents of the original music disc there are 4 files 1kb each and labelled Track 01 etc.These files play alright from the disc but I have lost random play of 24 tracks.
Has the manufacturer built in to the disc an anti copying software? Can the original disc be made to read all tracks with original names?
Could someone explain simply why this has happened?

I use ExactAudioCopy for ripping but it takes some setting up.

dBPowerAmp’s dBpoweramp CD Ripper might be easier for you.
It remains fully functional after the trial.

foobar2000 & CDex can also rip CDs.

The 1kb files are called pointer files & do not contain the actual music data .
When you rip to .wav you will see how much larger the music files are.

Many players will label the tracks when you select the folder you ripped to.
WinAmp .
Even WMP if you select the files correctly.

Cholla, thanks for your reply.I understand all that you say and will practice with that info.
The bigger problem?? is that both purchased discs had several tracks on them.Lets say 24 on each.All suitably named/labelled.
[U][B]On the disc[/B][/U] that I attempted ripping when viewed in windows explorer [U][B]after[/B][/U] show 4 (only) files, very large,and when I play a file on [U][B]that disc[/B][/U] there are several tracks within each file.Its as if there is software within the disc re-organising the file structure of that disc.
My original question was about understanding why this has happened and if there is anyway of correcting the disc.:confused:
If I keep ripping this [U][B]disc[/B][/U] would I end up with all the individual tracks in one file? I joke but that`s how it feels.

I don’t know why Windows Explorer is reading the CD disc that way.
Your CD/DVD drive doesn’t do anything to a disc when reading(ripping).
It also can’t write(burn) anything to a commercial pressed CD .
Even a writable CD that is closed can’t be written too.
So something in Windows has become corrupted.
What happens with other music CDs you have ?
One not from this set ?
I have never had what you are experiencing happen so I don’t know how to fix the problem. There should be some basics to use to try & diagnose it.

Can you post a screenshot of the filestructure?Are there some .exe files instead of music files?

Cutswood, what program did you use to copy to hard drive?

Cholla
Thank you for your second reply.

I am sorry to say that I have got things horribly wrong. You confirmed that I could not change the arrangement or file system on the disc.That was good information and will remain very reassuring.

Your answer made me examine the disc box and view the internet advert for this product.

I have included a web link showing the advert and the compilation of the discs .The disc (1) with the “problem” is in fact showing [U][B]4 files[/B][/U] with multi tracks per file.
Disc 2 shows track arrangement as with most music discs.
When ripping I really [U][B]thought[/B][/U] that disc 1 arrangement was similar to the individual track layout of disc 2.
Then when I ripped [U][B]only[/B][/U] 4 files I thought I had corrupted the music disc.

Now proceeding to cut each music track from its file.

I want to add that in the first place I found it very difficult to assemble the problem into the written form but within 2 replies from you I was re focussed and back on track!!!.

Once again thank you.Your help is really appreciated.
Best Regards
Thanks also to the other correspondents

Your welcome cutswood . Happy to have helped.
I checked the link & from it it Disc 1 is 4 large tracks of several songs each.
Disc 2 has a lot of songs but appears to be tracked like an average CD.

[QUOTE=cutswood;2668066]Hi I am a new member who would really appreciate some help or guidance.
For the festive period I decided to buy a boxed set of Christmas Music,rip the music onto my computer, set music player to random and pipe the music.
My experiment has only affected one of the 2 discs and I am reluctant to continue because of this:I am not sure now what procedure I set out on but the result was that my save to folder on the PC received 4 large files of music as opposed to 4 times 6 music tracks.
When I look at the contents of the original music disc there are 4 files 1kb each and labelled Track 01 etc.These files play alright from the disc but I have lost random play of 24 tracks.
Has the manufacturer built in to the disc an anti copying software? Can the original disc be made to read all tracks with original names?
Could someone explain simply why this has happened?[/QUOTE]

Well a better way I would say get either the free version of Winamp or paid version of which I think is worth the money. And let it rip and create the directory and then after that you can move tracks around and recreate your own tracks with title and name and you will know which song is which. That is why I got Winamp it has good track record of ripping and re-burning the music back and working. But I will leave that up to you to decide but if you have to getting WinAmp Pro would be a very good investment for you. There are some possibly CDs that have those protection aka Sony rootkit but that will require another different software or workaround that you can look for on the net. But I have software to kill those rootkits and I so far encountered very few but not sure on the newere CDs what kinda rootkits they have placed on the CDs.

Hi coolcolors,
Thanks for your reply.
I thought I had caused a particular problem for myself (I use windows media player 9 normally for playing and when I rarely copy from cd).
Hence the visit to the Myce site.
But I like to learn and will put your advice in the locker for later.
Once again thanks for taking time for my problem.

Frankly, if you are going to spend money on a program, dBPoweramp is probably your best bet. It’s easier to configure than EAC, has great error correction, has the ability to divide up the workload during ripping amongst multiple CPU cores, the ability to encode tracks into two formats at once, has the ability to transcode, the ability to adjust volume and sound settings on tracks, and some other features as well.

[QUOTE=yojimbo197;2668257]Frankly, if you are going to spend money on a program, dBPoweramp is probably your best bet.[/QUOTE]

I agree…it’s a great app,only thing missing,is full support for cuesheets…