Ripping from CD to hardrive- causes system to freeze

Hi Guy’s,

Im a part time DJ & I need to put a few tunes on the PC- . Problem is I cant Rip any music from CD to Hard drive. I have tried using PCDJ Red,Yamp,Free Rip Mp3, and Windows Media Player - they all do the same thing…

They start to rip and at about the 10% mark the system freezes. I cannot even get the CD out of the player unless I do a full system reboot.

I have used force aspi 1.7 - all aspi layers have been installed correctly. I am trying to rip at normal speed - no read ahead (Ive tried other speeds - that doesnt stop the problem)

I have even tried to rip from the line in on the soundcard- I get this error message…
"Wave inAdd buffer:
MMSYSTEM003 media data is still playing. Reset the device or wait until the data is finished playing. "

Another thing I have noticed is that in device manager- when I look at the cd rom properties, it has no digital playback option there to select (its kind of blanked out so you cant select it)- What does this mean? How can I enable this?

I am currently using…
Op system: Windows ME
Soundcard:Ensoniq es1370
CD ROM: Sony CDU55e

I think the CD rom is IDE?? Not sure what that means.
It works fine for everything else, (Data & listening to Audio)
I read somewhere that IDE may have trouble with 32bit digital systems- is this correct? Is my CD Rom digital?

If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it- Ive been trying to get this up and running for weeks.

Thanks alot-
Paulcee

Wow a lot of questions, but that is a good way to start on your way.

They start to rip and at about the 10% mark the system freezes. I cannot even get the CD out of the player unless I do a full system reboot.

Ok is this a problem that just start happening???
Have you recently added any hardware or made any software changes system??
If no to these, I would find the drivers for the soundcard and the cd-rom and try reinstalling them. If that doesnt work,
It is possible that there is a conflict somewhere in the computer
And it could be a bad cd-rom or a bad cd-rom drive.

His CD-ROM will not do Digital Audio Extraction which is required to rip :slight_smile:

A Taiwanese AOpen 48x (open the box, check the sticker on the device) will do the trick (or a Lite-On LTD-163 from cws.net.au if you’re serious :wink:

Hey Guy’s , thanks for you’re response.

Ive checked all the ripping programs- uninstalled/reinstalled - same thing happens.
Ive Reinstalled the CD Rom Driver in DOS!
Time for me to get a new CD Rom I think. It looks like there is no way for me to get this thing to use Digital Audio Extraction (I think it was made in '94)
I Should really do myself a favour and throw this bloody computer out! Yeah- going right off with the 2 gig hard drive!!!

So Im guessing that the moral to the story is…
if you dont have the Digital Audio Extraction option displayed in Device manager/CD Rom properties then you cant rip CD’s.
(I didnt find anything on the drive that said it supported this)

Well, at least now I can sleep at night!!!

If there’s any other way to check if a CD Rom supports Digital Audio Extraction then let me know.

Thanks heaps! - Paulcee.

If there’s any other way to check if a CD Rom supports Digital Audio Extraction then let me know.
You can check the retail box & any bumf included. The AOpen box clearly states “DAE”.

You can also check the reviews at CDRinfo.com…under Hardware

You mention copying from the line in on the computer. Does the system play the CD if so then download Total Recorder This records digitally from the wave output of your sound card, should be fine for a DJ.
:eek:

all new, and all 52x cdroms will do DAE.
they cost about $30 for a samsung.
You don’t need to pay more.
EAC (exact audio copy) is good for ripping…

Thanks for you’re help guy’s,

Ive worked out (with you’re help:) ) the following things…

*My CD Rom is shit (Cant do DAE)

*My Computer is shit (Obviously)

*Windows ME is equally as shit (Does not work well with my PCDJ Software)

Good news though, I can now record everything with Total Recorder, (works great - and records the mixes I do live on the PC)

Thanks for you’re help :slight_smile: Cheers - Paulcee