Ripping (encoding) DVDs

I’m slowly amassing a DVD collection, but as DVD rips they’re taking up too much space.
I’m using DVDFab 6, ripping the DVDs as DVD5 files, which outputs roughly 4gig folders.

I’ve tried encoding one or two into avi files, using Auto GK, preset size to 700MB (one cd) and audio to VBR 128k, using the Xvid codec.

I know, naturally, the quality will decrease, but it seems worse than other avi’s friends have given me or I’ve downloaded of similar sizes. Is it just me? Or maybe the films in question…

If under 1 gig is what you are looking for there is an large amount of software to do that. DVD neXt COPY will 1 Click will so will fab but if you want it for free try handbrake that is a very decent freeware program.

Really, I want avi’s of the quality I’ve come to expect from downloading films, and at the same size (~700MB).

It could be in my head, or simply the colour range etc of the random point’s I’ve compared.

Try handbrake it is free and you can have a variety to choose from. It does take time and two pass encoding is recommended since you want the highest quality. It can save in .avi format too.

Try handbrake it is free and you can have a variety to choose from.
I had never heard of handbrake before, seems pretty straight forward, thanx for the heads up Dr. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dr. Who;2445507]Try handbrake it is free and you can have a variety to choose from. It does take time and two pass encoding is recommended since you want the highest quality. It can save in .avi format too.[/QUOTE]
Same goes for AutoGK. If 700 MB quality isn’t good enough, simply choose 1 GB or something.