? Ripping DVDs to “scene”-like AVIs

Hi,

I recently got a standalone DVD player and am basking in the DivX playback functionality. I love that I can put a bunch of AVIs on a DVD+RW and watch several hours without having to change the disc.

What I want to do now is to rip some DVDs to AVI so that I can put multiple seasons of a TV show and multiple sequels of movies (like trilogies) on a disc. I am familiar with various—convoluted—guides and programs for ripping DVDs to AVI, but that’s not what I want (I could probably get something like that just using VDubMPEG). What I want specifically is to create AVIs like the kind that “scene” groups do. You’re probably familiar with how groups rip high quality movies to 700MB AVIs or HD rips of tv shows to 175/350MB AVIs. That’s what I want to do.

Can someone point me to a nice—read straightforward—guide on doing it this way? (I am open to an alternate method though.)

Thanks a lot.

[QUOTE=Synetech;1970342]Hi,

I recently got a standalone DVD player and am basking in the DivX playback functionality. I love that I can put a bunch of AVIs on a DVD+RW and watch several hours without having to change the disc.

What I want to do now is to rip some DVDs to AVI so that I can put multiple seasons of a TV show and multiple sequels of movies (like trilogies) on a disc. I am familiar with various—convoluted—guides and programs for ripping DVDs to AVI, but that’s not what I want (I could probably get something like that just using VDubMPEG). [B]What I want specifically is to create AVIs like the kind that “scene” groups do. You’re probably familiar with how groups rip high quality movies to 700MB AVIs or HD rips of tv shows to 175/350MB AVIs. That’s what I want to do.
[/B]
Can someone point me to a nice—read straightforward—guide on doing it this way? (I am open to an alternate method though.)

Thanks a lot.[/QUOTE]

What should be the difference between such “scene releases” and xvid/Divx created by a good guide like http://www.videohelp.com/convert#4;13 ?
There is none.

[QUOTE=chef;1970763]What should be the difference between such “scene releases” and xvid/Divx created by a good guide like http://www.videohelp.com/convert#4;13 ?
There is none.[/QUOTE]

Honestly I have no idea. I just think that if they manage to do an HD or DVD rip to a nice, high-quality AVI, then I want to know what software and settings they use.

I’ve already taken a quick look at a bunch of guides at videohelp and doom9 but many of them are too convoluted, need a dozen separate tools, and are not easy to use—and worst of all require a massive amount of reading. I think the best guide would be a nice, short one that uses pictures and videos to demonstrate, along with a test video to be converted.

Anyway, I got around to trying AutoGK last night and it seems pretty good. In fact I found a copy of an old version in one of my dump folders, so I must have wanted to try it out a while back but didn’t.

[quote=Synetech;1971111]Honestly I have no idea. I just think that if they manage to do an HD or DVD rip to a nice, high-quality AVI, then I want to know what software and settings they use.

I’ve already taken a quick look at a bunch of guides at videohelp and doom9 but many of them are too convoluted, need a dozen separate tools, and are not easy to use—and worst of all require a massive amount of reading. I think the best guide would be a nice, short one that uses pictures and videos to demonstrate, along with a test video to be converted.

Anyway, I got around to trying AutoGK last night and it seems pretty good. In fact I found a copy of an old version in one of my dump folders, so I must have wanted to try it out a while back but didn’t.[/quote]

Ask the people on the ‘Scene’.

That’s what they had to do too

Q>) What do you get when you take the ‘F’ out of shortcut?

A>) There ain’t no ‘F’ in shortcut…:disagree:

Keep trying until you get what you like. You might learn something…:iagree:

Using several or their own coded tools is what most “scene people” do, AFAIK.

[QUOTE=chef;1971346]Using several or their own coded tools is what most “scene people” do, AFAIK.[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of the demo scene (well the really old days of the demo scene, pre-standards and APIs). :slight_smile:

Yep, that is the scene where most freaks start with coding and their career. :slight_smile:

The thing I need most is the settings to use. AutoGK is easy to use, but the results were not great with my test (quite blocky). What I want is a good guide that explains how to determine the best settings to use, but pretty much every one I’ve seen just shows how to do a basic conversion without even addressing that there are settings that can be adjusted.