Ripping DVD movie audio

vbimport

How can I get the audio stream ripped from a DVD or MPEG and converted from AC3 to .wav for burning a CD?

Originally posted by rdgrimes

How can I get the audio stream ripped from a DVD or MPEG and converted from AC3 to .wav for burning a CD?

DVD (movie) audio to mp3

DVD Audio Rippers

This is how I would have done it:

Tools:

AC3Filter
DVD Decrypter
VirtualDubMod
Goldwave
ssrc

DVD:
Install AC3Filter (We’ll use it in Goldwave)
Demux audio from DVD using DVD Decrypter in IFO mode.

Open your AC3 file in Goldwave, mark section you want to record using the left and right mouse buttons. Press Cpy2 in toolbar to save the section you’ve marked.

Open up cmd and use ssrc to normalize audio and convert sample rate to 44100Hz and then burn.

Be aware, DVD uses DRC (Dynamic Rate Control) so your file may have very low volume in some parts while others are very high. If you want me to I’ll explain how to fix it.
MPEGs are no different form DVDs, just use vDubMod instead of DVD Decrypter.

//Danne

Wow ! What huge pics, what a long path !

Tool > DVD Audio Ripper 1.0.17 :

I’m more interested in “one click” solutions for dummies, installing 6 different freeware applications and getting them all to work is not what I need.
DVD Audio Ripper looks about right.

BoSkin:
Do you have any idea how DVD Audio Ripper downmixes 5.1 and what engine it uses for converting sample rate?
btw, my screenshots aren’t huge in 1600x1200 :slight_smile:
//Danne

Originally posted by DiiZzY

Do you have any idea how DVD Audio Ripper downmixes 5.1 and what engine it uses for converting sample rate?

No, but you can tell me if you know.

I didn’t mean your screen resolution.

That’s why I use the “long” path, I know what everything does.
I pointed out that my screenshots aren’t “huge” if you view them @ 1600x1200. It’s a matter of preference :slight_smile:
//Danne

I know what everything does.

I pointed out that my screenshots aren’t “huge” if you view them @ 1600x1200. It’s a matter of preference :slight_smile:

Good for you ! Also I know that you wanted to show it to the world.

The same as above.

You could try plato dvd2mp3 ripper at http://www.dvdtomp3.net/

BoSkin:
//Danne

I emailed back and forth with DVD Audio Ripper with that same question, and they basically told me that they don’t have a clue what it does. So they must not have written it.

Originally posted by rdgrimes

I emailed back and forth with DVD Audio Ripper
Pls email [COLOR=blue]DVD Audio Extractor and ask the author the same Q 'bout his program, which I like a lot.[/COLOR]

I have traditionally use a similar method as Dizzy outlined, however, a few weeks ago I tried out DVD Audio Ripper 1.0. Being a somewhat fussy creature I did extensive listening test and quite frankly I coudnt tell them apart. The original method is so darn long and complicated as you have to extract each chapter separately to get a separate audio track (yes I know there are some utils that can separate them from a large file) and handle each one separately. A week later you have done the conversion. DVD Audio Ripper is just darn simple to use and does what it says it does.

So we dont iknow how DVD Audio Ripper does the downsampling, who really cares, isnt listening to the final audio going to tell if its good or bad. Or do we just do things that appear to have the right specs without actually “listening” to the music?

Originally posted by ChickenMan

A week later you have done the conversion.

LOL :bigsmile:

Originally posted by ChickenMan

So we dont iknow how DVD Audio Ripper does the downsampling, who really cares, isnt listening to the final audio going to tell if its good or bad. Or do we just do things that appear to have the right specs without actually “listening” to the music?
:iagree:

My question with Ripper was how does the 5 ch get downmixed to 2, where do the rear channels go. I was mainly concerned that they didn’t just get dropped.
My own limited listening test seems to confirm that they get mixed into the front channels. Since DD doesn’t use a discrete center channel, there’s no mixing required for that.

So I wanted to know whether to use the 2ch or 5ch streams for converting to wav, but there doesn’t seem to be a clear answer, because often the 2 streams are mixed and mastered very differently. So you gotta pick the one that sounds best in the first place. I thought that the 5 ch stream sounded a bit more “spacious” than the 2 ch, did (after converting to wav), most likely because the stereo information was preserved in the down-mix. But of course it’s all subjective.