Ripping/burning, quick question

vbimport

Hi all.

What I’ve been doing is ripping main movie only with dvd fab, encoding with dvd shrink and then burning with imgburn.
My question is, if the main movie only is under 4.3 gb, why do I need to use shrink at all?
Couldnt I just go straight from dvd fab (ripping movie only under 4.3 gb) to burning with imgburn?

I’ve read heaps of guides on this website and others, and most say that you need to transcode with shrink or other alike programs. Would my method work?

Thanks.

If it already fits then you don’t need to use DVD Shrink.

In fact if you’ve the full version of DVDFab then you don’t need DVD Shrink at all as DVDFab can do all you require including the compression if needed.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Hi, I wish I was able to use dvd fab pro version.

I’ve bought a 2 year subscription to dvd fab before and I’ve used the free trial. Their has always been an error with the program and I’ve never been able to successfully burn a dvd.
It rips and encodes/transcodes the dvd fine, but when it spits the dvd out asking for a dvd-r, the error occurs. When I insert the dvd-r, within seconds it is spit out again and asks for another dvd-r.
I dont even think it gives the pc enough time to read the blank media.
I’ve reformatted the pc, upgraded from xp to vista and downgraded again, bought new media, bought a new dvd burner, nothing seems to work.

On my old pc dvd fab was the only program I used and I used it a fair bit. Do you know what could be wrong? Or should I post in the dvd fab section.

Thanks very much

A clean uninstall and switching to the ImgBurn burn engine would have been what I’d have suggested.

That’s a difficult one to troubleshoot though as you’re no longer using the full version and can’t confirm if it works. :wink:

In any case the workaround would have been to rip and process with DVDFab then burn the files separately with ImgBurn as you do at present.

This is the main ‘Movie copy software’ forum and you’re allowed to discuss all such software here.

I can move this thread to the more specific DVDFab sub-forum for you though if you prefer.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Hi I’ve sent a technical support email to dvd fab so hopefully they will know what the problem is.

On a different note, does anyone know if encoding/converting a movie that needs no compression (Under 4.3 gb) countless times ever affects quality?
What I am currently doing to all my films that do not have subtitles is -
Ripping the film to desktop using dvd fab hd decrypter.
Using convert x to dvd 3 to add the subtitles and then burn to a disc. The files I convert are vob files,and I do not know what they are converted to, all I know is they are converted to dvd format.
Does doing what I am doing effect quality of the film at all?

Thanks.

Since this thread is about DVDFab maybe the Mod squad member will move it to the DVDFab forum where us DVDFab users can help :smiley: and maybe even help with the Vista issue too :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=pearce;2469715]Hi I’ve sent a technical support email to dvd fab so hopefully they will know what the problem is.[/QUOTE]

No problem.

On a different note, does anyone know if encoding/converting a movie that needs no compression (Under 4.3 gb) countless times ever affects quality?

Any re-encoding reduces quality however in practice most programs are clever enough to realise that re-encoding isn’t required if the files are already small enough.

What I am currently doing to all my films that do not have subtitles is -
Ripping the film to desktop using dvd fab hd decrypter.
Using convert x to dvd 3 to add the subtitles and then burn to a disc. The files I convert are vob files,and I do not know what they are converted to, all I know is they are converted to dvd format.
Does doing what I am doing effect quality of the film at all?
Thanks.

I’m not familiar with ‘ConvertXtoDVD’ so I can’t answer that one but check out DVDSubEdit which is very highly regarded and can edit subtitles directly within the VOBs.

This avoids the need to demux and remux and you don’t need to re-encode either.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2469725]Since this thread is about DVDFab maybe the Mod squad member will move it to the DVDFab forum where us DVDFab users can help :smiley: and maybe even help with the Vista issue too :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Yeah I would have done up until that post before yours SJ but as the thread is now discussing ‘ConvertXtoDVD’ amongst other programs it seems it’s better left here ATM.

Your advice would be just as welcome here though with regard to the DVDFab end of things.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Hi.

Does dvdsubedit only edit subtitles that already come with the dvd files? or can it add new subtitles to the files?

Thanks very much

[QUOTE=pearce;2469862]Hi.

Does dvdsubedit only edit subtitles that already come with the dvd files? or can it add new subtitles to the files?

Thanks very much[/QUOTE]

I’ve never had a need to use this software myself but yes it can do both.

There’s a useful manual on the site I linked to above.

[B]Wombler[/B]