Ripping & burning from the external drive

vbimport

Could I rip directly to the external & burn off of it? Or would I have to rip to the external & then burn off of the main computers drive?

It would be best to rip using the internal HD and burn from there as some external hd’s via usb port are slow, This is what I would do myself

I have a laptop so I pretty much have to. I even burn DVD from an external HD to an external DVD Writer, at 8X.

I usually rip to my external HDD I haven’t had any problems doing this,
I always rip & burn with an internal DVD drive though.
My USB is all 2.0 but I will probably eventually get a 3.0 card.
A 1.0 would be slow for this so I would avoid using an external if that is what you have.
As Jimbo posted the internal HDD is the least likely to have problems .
My reason for using the external is less fragmenting of my internal HDD.
Also I haven’t had problems but some people do .
So give the external a try. Look at the results. If you are satisfied use the external .If not the use the internal & view the results. Can you tell a difference ?
If speed is your main concern was there a speed difference between the two harddrives?

I have firewire also on my laptop & external drive!

[QUOTE=midnightmike;2525644]Could I rip directly to the external & burn off of it? Or would I have to rip to the external & then burn off of the main computers drive?[/QUOTE]
Yes you can rip to and burn from an external HDD, however as pointed out by Jimbo using the internal HDD would be the better choice the reason for this is because a internal hard drive has a faster and more reliable transfer rate

[QUOTE=midnightmike;2525658]I have firewire also on my laptop & external drive![/QUOTE]
Using a fire-wire is good to use when doing video backups, I don’t know what program you use for ripping and burning of videos but I suggest you set it to delete any temp files it may create during the process to reduce the build up of fragmentation.