Ripping and playing cds

vbimport

I recently hooked up a 1.5TB music server to my home theater system. The plan is to copy most of my cd collection (2000+ cds) in .wav format. What is the best ripping software and jukebox software? I’m using the commercial version of Musicmatch for both. It seems okay, just wondering if there’s something better.

Also, is there a website that provides the cd inserts online? I plan to store all my cds away when I’m done. Anything else I should know? Thanks.

why .wav? you can get more on disc with another format. There are many fine software apps that support both mp3 and others if you don’t mind a “lossy” format, as well as some lossless formats.:slight_smile:

EAC is a great freeware tool for ripping CD’s…you can learn more about it here

.WAV so as not to lose quality. With any compression mode there’s gonna be some deterioration in the quality. The computer is more or less gonna replace my CD player.

Does anyone else do what I’m doing? I feel like I’m treading in unknown territory and I’m sort of winging it.

Consider WMP9 Lossless

In my opinion, EAC and MPC (Musepack) or APE (Monkey’s Audio). You’ll roughly get about 40-60% smaller files than using wave (PCM).
…and lossless files of course :slight_smile:
Here’s a great guide on how you configure EAC and APE properly:
http://www.rivarilu.demon.nl/eac/
//Danne

I did take a look at the EAC site. It just doesn’t seem plausible that there would be no quality loss if there’s compression. I can’t fathom how it’s possible.

Think of it as a zip algorithm for music files.
//Danne

Originally posted by jook
I did take a look at the EAC site. It just doesn’t seem plausible that there would be no quality loss if there’s compression. I can’t fathom how it’s possible.

You are not required to compress the files…though you certainly can…among your questions were…what is a great ripping program…EAC is one of the best…:slight_smile:

If your heart is really set on leaving the tracks as raw .wav files…you can do that with this, but you can compress to mp3 / ogg / other as well…if you choose.

1 cool feature of this ripper is that it’s particularly good at ripping “protected” audio cd’s, so regardless of whether you want to compress…we can talk all day about that…for ripping, I’d suggest you give EAC a spin…:slight_smile:

@jook

let ur ears be the judge: If ur hellbent on using wav, no probs, enjoy ur music. However, I notice that u knock the other formats without even listening to them. True, some ‘quality’ will be lost from a technical standpoint, but if u listen to them and they’re good enuff, then ur sorted. I’m not trying to change ur mind, I’m just saying to at least sample what else is on offer before committing to something. Who knows, u may even like compressed music and the capability it gives to reallocate storage. just my £0.02

Hey guys, thanks for all the tips. I’m using EAC now to rip (in WAV format) and I like its flexibility.

Yes, my mind is mostly closed at this point about ripping with no compression. I already shelled out the loot for the hardware – I have more than enough hard drive space to fit all my music in WAV format and, besides, it’s a lot faster to rip to WAV format.

I never meant to get into a discussion about compressed v. WAV - but while we’re on the discussion — granted, the difference might be hardly noticeable if at all - much of the time. However, when I’m paying close attention and sitting in the “sweet spot” with the amp at 200+ watts, I can tell the difference, slight as it may be. My feeling is that I have a great audio system and it would be a crime not to take advantage of the best possible music source. Regardless, right or wrong or in between, I have the hardware and I might as well use it.

When I asked for suggestions about the best ripper, I should have mentioned that I was only planning on ripping in WAV. And what about a jukebox? Any preferences?

When I asked for suggestions about the best ripper, I should have mentioned that I was only planning on ripping in WAV. And what about a jukebox? Any preferences?

You were clear enough on that Jook, we’re just a bunch of hardon’s more accustomed to taughting our “favorite” compression vs no compression at all. Most of us are just drooling over the 1.5 t and imagining how many dvd rips we could store there…LOL

As for jukebox software, winamp has a really good engine, but have seen alot of other stuff floating around that may be as good or better, I really dont care for musicmatch or realplayer. Lets leave this thread open and see if some better ideas float up…:slight_smile:

MAC is not itself a net aware(streaming) media and is a poor choice in a network audio solution at all, it just fills the bill for audio archivings.

Lossless codec has nothing to consider in terms of output quality, as they are all the same without mathmatical loss, considerations are only on usailibities and compression ratios, etc.

Winamp5.03 has just added the support for WMA9, FYI. But winamp itself is lacking in core engine quality IMO, I would consider it no more than a jack of all trade.

Hey guys, thanks for all the tips. I’m using EAC now to rip (in WAV format) and I like its flexibility.

For what it’s worth…if nothing else…glad we turned you on to EAC…:cool:

why not a lossless compression? ape works fine, wma9 should also be considered… you will save some space for sure, at least i would go for it no matter how friggin’ huge your HDD might be.
please, for your own sake, remember to download cds’ infos from cddb: you don’t want even think about 1.5 TB full of “unknown artist - trackXX” :bigsmile: