Ripping A Movie To A Single File

vbimport

Hi. :slight_smile:

I am wanting to know how to rip a full movie using DVDFab Platinum to a single file.

When I rip it now, it creates 4 .vob files all 0.99GB each. Which is no good because I am wanting to create a XviD AVI after using DVDFab with Super 2007. and I want it to be one long movie not 4 .avi parts.

I have tried clicking customize and selecting the option “no menus, play the titles continually” but still I get the four 0.99GB vob files.

This is so annoying!..as anyone got the solution.

The simplest solution would be to upgrade to DVD Fab platinum that does the transformation to AVI brilliantly and in one go.

Yes, it has a price tag attached to it. But the convenience, the added extra features, and the sheer simplicity makes it well worth the money.

But if you are short on cash i would use the built in command called COPY in Windows. Go to a command prompt, type help copy, and you get this. Take an extra look at the last sentence and your problem is solved.

Copies one or more files to another location.

COPY [/D] [/V] [/N] [/Y | /-Y] [/Z] [/A | /B ] source [/A | /B]
     [+ source [/A | /B] [+ ...]] [destination [/A | /B]]

source       Specifies the file or files to be copied.
  /A           Indicates an ASCII text file.
  /B           Indicates a binary file.
  /D           Allow the destination file to be created decrypted
  destination  Specifies the directory and/or filename for the new file(s).
  /V           Verifies that new files are written correctly.
  /N           Uses short filename, if available, when copying a file with a
               non-8dot3 name.
  /Y           Suppresses prompting to confirm you want to overwrite an
               existing destination file.
  /-Y          Causes prompting to confirm you want to overwrite an
               existing destination file.
  /Z           Copies networked files in restartable mode.

The switch /Y may be preset in the COPYCMD environment variable.
This may be overridden with /-Y on the command line.  Default is
to prompt on overwrites unless COPY command is being executed from
within a batch script.

To append files, specify a single file for destination, but multiple files
for source (using wildcards or file1+file2+file3 format).

If you have Platinum you can of course write the MPEG-4s using the DVD to Mobile modes. If for some reason this is not a solution in your case, you can either have Platinum write to an ISO which will provide a single large file, or read the .99GB files into DVDShrink, which has an option to write the output as a single huge VOB. It is either in Edit->Preferences or on one of the tabs in the box that comes up after you click “Backup!”. It is an inverted default option, i.e. the checkbox says “Break files into 1GB chunks (recommended)” and you must uncheck it to get the single file output. Paddy97’s solution may also work, I’ve never tried it. It’s the easiest of all:) , but the structure would no longer match what’s in the IFO file, if that is important to whatever you are using to convert to MPEG-4/AVI.

I have Platinum and would like a convenient way to simply create a copy as a single file as mpeg, avi, or mp4.

Yes, the generic will let you pick a variety of resolutions that are all smaller than the original, but what I would like is to be able to simply pick an option that uses the full resolution and creates the single file suitable for playing on a PC.

Does DVD Fab let you create your own profiles? It looks like you could copy and edit one of the XML files that it has. What parameters would you put for “just copy it” ?

Jek
Yes, you can create and modify profiles, but all of the DVD to Mobile functions create single files (AVI, MP4 etc.) of the main movie unless you have them set to split by chapter or file size. Look in the Profiles folder for the Readme on profiles. I think just about any of the Generic ones would produce single files to watch on your PC.

There is a VOB passthrough profile which produces one VOB file of the movie.

Is that what you are lookong for?

AutoGK will do it for you

[QUOTE=nitrobass24;2060083]AutoGK will do it for you[/QUOTE]

This is a DVD Fab forum.

Please refrain from recommending other software.

Hi!
You also have the possibility to merge a serie of VOB files using the DOS"/B" command. You can also use it to merge .avi files, for example.

Open Command prompt, change directory to where your files are located, and then:

c:\mymovies>copy /b VTS_01_1.VOB + VTS_01_2.VOB VTS_ALL.VOB

or

c:\mymovies>copy /b FILE01.AVI + FILE02.AVI FILE_ALL.AVI

Really fast “old school” way to do it!