Ripped BD won't play on standalone BD player

I have a problem playing ripped BD content on standalone BD player.

I ripped original BD as ISO image using AnyDVD HD with BD protection disabled.

Then using LG BH08LS20 burner and Verbatim BD-R 4x media i successfully burned BD and verified content using Nero 8 Burning ROM.

When I try to play this disk in my Panasonic DMP-BD35, the playback starts but then the player indicates “STOP” on display right when movie is supposed to load. It plays on my HTPC just fine, without mounting on virtual drive, it plays straight as a regular bluray movie.

I suppose it is a AACS issue.

Is it possible, in theory, to replicate your own BD movies as a backup and still have them playable on standalone players? I have small kid so fingerprints are an issue and I wanted to be able back them up and keep away.

Any suggestions or explanations would be appreciated.

Hi ,

I have same player and same BD drive I use Verbatim a lot.
It is not clear weather you had taken protection off.
If not the disk will not play. I usually test my disks on RE first.
(You can do it quick just burn all files but delete movie one) and see if menu loads ok.

I had same stop error on my BD35 a lot. Usually it is because movie was ripped using old version of ANYDVD and java files were messed up.
More info here http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=25842

Unfortunately not all BD-re media works on this player.
One that worked for me is TDK DL 50 GB like this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-TDK-bluray-disc-BD-RE-DL-blu-ray-50GB-blueray-dvd-2X_W0QQitemZ130314605221QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Blank_Media?hash=item1e575b12a5&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

TDK BD-re 25 GB did not work.

Hope it helps

Kind regards
DVD fan

[QUOTE=DVD_fan;2449931]Hi ,

I have same player and same BD drive I use Verbatim a lot.
It is not clear weather you had taken protection off.
If not the disk will not play. I usually test my disks on RE first.
(You can do it quick just burn all files but delete movie one) and see if menu loads ok.

I had same stop error on my BD35 a lot. Usually it is because movie was ripped using old version of ANYDVD and java files were messed up.
More info here http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=25842

Unfortunately not all BD-re media works on this player.
One that worked for me is TDK DL 50 GB like this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-TDK-bluray-disc-BD-RE-DL-blu-ray-50GB-blueray-dvd-2X_W0QQitemZ130314605221QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Blank_Media?hash=item1e575b12a5&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

TDK BD-re 25 GB did not work.

Hope it helps

Kind regards
DVD fan[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for your help. I will try your suggestions.
According to the thread from Slysoft I should uncheck BD-Live and Region Code removal in order to be able to play on BD35. Have you had success everytime when you burnt BD-J disks on BD-R or BD-RE with these 2 unchecked? What about BD-J certificates being altered (or replaced) by AnyDVD? Have you had to put original certificates back?
Could you send me a screenshot of your AnyDVD setup screen when you ripping BDs?

Thanks again. I never knew this was so complicated, i thought it was a straightforward rip/burn operation…

[QUOTE=jellysat524;2450010]Thank you so much for your help. I will try your suggestions.
According to the thread from Slysoft I should uncheck BD-Live and Region Code removal in order to be able to play on BD35. Have you had success everytime when you burnt BD-J disks on BD-R or BD-RE with these 2 unchecked? What about BD-J certificates being altered (or replaced) by AnyDVD? Have you had to put original certificates back?
Could you send me a screenshot of your AnyDVD setup screen when you ripping BDs?

Thanks again. I never knew this was so complicated, i thought it was a straightforward rip/burn operation…[/QUOTE]

Actually, I will take my questions back as it seems like (according to slysoft) this problem has been fixed when latest versions of ANYDVD HD have been used. So i guess my older version was messing up Java files, just like you said. You I guess now you can check BD-Live and Region Code removal and be able to play on BD35, right?
Also, as for your BD-RE “test burn”, what exactly do you see happening on your player when you play “test” BD-RE with MOVIES directory removed? Do you get Java menus loaded? I know this would have been a really long process at 2x if I had to fully burn it everytime…

Hi ,

This problem has been fixed with new version of ANYDVD you do not need to keep region and BD live option uncheked. Just make sure your verson of ANYDVD is latest.

You only need to remove biggest file from directory stream. That is the movie file. When you load your disk you should be able to see and navigate menu, start any trailers or extras. You will not be able to start the movie. But if you can use menu your java is fine.

I have only used one type of BD50-RE dual layer RE disk. Others might work…
BUT from my experience BD35 is very picky on BD-RE25 single layer media. I have bought some time ago Verbatim BD-RE25 and it is working on BD35 fine. Since then I have bough two other Verbatim BD-RE25 they are different packaging but same type (In terms of speed version and even MID is the same as first one I have bought) they will not play on BD35. I have also bought some TDK BD-RE25 and they will not play back

That is my experience with BD35 and RE media. I have heard that Sony BD players are less strict about disks format and there is a good chance that they would play back your BD that BD35 will give stop error on. They also much quicker in loading disks.

Even tough I have some trouble with my BD35 RE compatibility I would not swap it for a different one just yet. What is important for me is that backup disks I burn would be as much compliant with all BD players as possible and as I believe Panny is a good way to ensure that.