Rip Times?

vbimport

I’m looking for some baseline rip times people are getting from various burners/rom drives.

I’ve conducted a few tests of my own, using the ‘Clone mode’
Clone mode involves no transcoding so the impact of the speed of the PC should be minimal.

For my tests, I used the move GalaxyQuest - I think it’s about a 2 hr movie.
All tests are DVDFab 5.0.6.0 clone mode, all checkboxes cleared to an ISO file.

11m24sec - Nec 3550(ide) - intel P4 2.4 - xp - 2gigs ram, i865 chipset
21m03s - Samsung 203N(sata) - intel Q9450 2.66 - vista - 2gigs ram, iP45 chipset
21m45s - Emprex 8x (ide) - AMD x2 4800 2.5ghz - srv2008, 8gig, amd600 chipset

it would really help me if anyone could post numbers - even rough estimates - it seems to me that the numbers I am getting from the samsung are too slow, some confirmation of that would help!

Hi basementjack:
Lets keep all the posts about trancoding times in this thread. You cannot compare trancoding times unless you are comparing the exact same processor and Ram. There are also other variables, like the amount of compression in the rip. So this is not as easy a question to answer as you may think. I can rip some discs in anywhere from 6 mins to 20 minutes all according to the compression and what computer I am using.

i tried comparing dvdfab 4120 to 5030, see thread http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/faster-dvdfab-4-1-2-0-5-0-3-0-a-246590/. My computer specs are in my signature, i get a sl movie in the PLDS or Philips drive in 4-6 minutes, a dl movie in 10-12 minutes, my burn times for a sl disc in the mad dog drive are about 4-7 minutes, a dl disc in about 10-12 minutes. hope that helps your question:cool:

I think basementjack is just interested in transcoding times in Clone Mode of DVD Fab, I may be wrong though.:smiley: Some drives have a riplock which can limit their ripping speeds but there are tools that can remove that riplock on alot of drives.

Thanks Alan, is there another thread I should post this to?

Edited after reading the past 2 posts…

Yeah Alan is right, I’m just interested in read time - without format conversion.

(as background to this, I have an old PC that can rip a DVD in 11 minutes. I built a cheap server, and threw in an old 8x drive and it rips in 21 minutes - this made sense to me, since it’s an old drive… Anyhow, finally getting around to building a better server, and thought I’d do it right so I bought a new burner - but to my disappointment, it’s taking as long as my old 8x - 21 minutes. So I’m really just trying to find out how long that part usually takes for people on most drives - if my drive is defective, I’d like to get it replaced!)

[quote=basementjack;2096496]Thanks Alan, is there another thread I should post this to?

Edited after reading the past 2 posts…

Yeah Alan is right, I’m just interested in read time - without format conversion.

(as background to this, I have an old PC that can rip a DVD in 11 minutes. I built a cheap server, and threw in an old 8x drive and it rips in 21 minutes - this made sense to me, since it’s an old drive… Anyhow, finally getting around to building a better server, and thought I’d do it right so I bought a new burner - but to my disappointment, it’s taking as long as my old 8x - 21 minutes. So I’m really just trying to find out how long that part usually takes for people on most drives - if my drive is defective, I’d like to get it replaced!)[/quote]
There is another alternative if you think the drive is riplocked. You can go the NEC forum where you can Find Liggy and Dees Firmware, this will allow you to remove any riplock on the drive, which would also help your speeds. I am not sure if the Nec 3550A had a riplock on it though. Here is the [B]link[/B] to the unoffical and Offical firmwares. I do not recommend flashing a drive if you are not familar with the process. Please do some research and flashing firmware is something you at your own risk. I hope this helps. I forgot the link LOL
http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/NEC-ND-3550A/

if you are only interested in read speeds, then it’s almost irrelevant that you are using dvdfab.

you could take a previously copied DVD & time how long it takes to copy that back to your hard drive on each PC, just using windows copy.

the limiting factor will be how fast your PC can stream data from the optical drive; the extra overhead of decrypting only with no compression applied , when you rip an original DVd should be negligible. so it’s not so much the drive itself, as the interface between the drive & the rest of the PC that you have to look at- That takes you into bus speeds & motherboard designs.

PS I’m also pretty sure that preforming the same copy operation in Vista is slower than in XP, but to prove that for sure would require two identical PCs. Mine are not identical but my DEll vostro PC with vista is slower than my previous Dell X E521 pc with XP at file copying.

That is correct , it would require two identical PCs, and even then you would have to make sure that all the internals of these 2 PCs were set to Optimal performance.:wink: And I think basementjack is interested in trancoding speeds, not just read speeds, two different things. This subject has been brought up many times and I think there are so many variables its really hard to make comparisions , but I guess you could make a “ball park” comparsion using the same internals and the same movie.

While I don’t have 2 identical PC’s I do have 3 to play with, 2 of which would be pretty easy to open up and swap drives out.
I think I may do that in my AMD machine - pull out the 8x emprex and put in the samsung sata and do a rip and see how fast it goes.

Cybmole brings up an excellent point - in that you could likely do this benchmark via a file copy or some other benchmark besides fab.

I picked fab to benchmark for a few reasons -
a) There seems to be a decent community of fab users on this forum.
b) I’m more concerned with fab’s read performance than I am all other apps combined.

Thanks so far to everyone who’s replied! Keep the comments coming!