Rip speed on 2500 | Scanning software for Nec 2500. :-)

1. What is the default rip speed for a Nec 2500 drive?

2. Could some one PLEASE write a program thats make the same work as kprobe for the Nec’s? I hate Nero Cd Speed. :a It cant be so hard? :wink:

1: DVD-Video rip speed is 5x CAV. Audio rip speed is 32x CAV.

2: Software is not enough - you need hardware support for it as well. And if it was easy to make such a program I think programs like NERO CD-Speed and DVDinfoPRO would had it long time ago.

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]1: DVD-Video rip speed is 5x CAV. Audio rip speed is 32x CAV.

2: Software is not enough - you need hardware support for it as well. And if it was easy to make such a program I think programs like NERO CD-Speed and DVDinfoPRO would had it long time ago. [/B]

and with the riplock unlocked it is? :slight_smile:

DVD-Video single layer 12x CAV

DVD-Video dual layer 8x CAV.

Quick question.
If the burner is capable of ripping dual layer at 8x then why did NEC decide to only use 5x? :confused:

Here are some reasons that they might claim:

Make the drive quieter.
Make ripping DVD Videos a more annoying task.

I’ll go with door #2 Bob.

With ripspeed unlocked i only get 5x average and with original firmware i get 3x average.

Well, DVD-Video dual layer is 8x max, so 5x avg is reasonable.

So is there any evidence that unlocking rip speed will hasten wear on the drive? I wonder if there is a chance that they have put the limit on the drive because going faster will wear it out, or do damage.

Or perhaps the quality of data it can read at the faster speeds is lower than how well it can read at the 5X speed.

While I have no doubt that NEC would limit rip speed just as a big ‘screw you’ to its customers, I also would believe the limit could be for ‘our own good’.

UV254, I have used the stock firmware for a while now, but I plan on switching to the modded firmware soon. I want to get a feel for the rip/write quality using the stock and then I can compare the performance after the mod. I dont think that increasing the rip speed will decrease the quality of the extraction, but I could be wrong. I would say though that most people will get a better quality write using 4X versus 8x.

Bob