Right speed to burn an audio cd

vbimport

I konow you have talked about it a thousand of times… and I know too there is not a general rule, but reading the pages of this forum I have not find the answer yet.

So I do apologize for this question, maybe silly, but not for me :slight_smile:

Reading the forum it seems to be that slow speeds are not reccomended and I came to the end that 16x might be the perfect solution: it is a good compromise … not too slow (old rule for old drivers and medias), not too fast to guarantee a good compatibility! So I made some test by using the T.Y. I had at home and yes, 16x was the right solution.

http://club.myce.com/f57/max-speed-i-should-burn-audio-cd-best-sound-quality-54837/

Today I bought 100 new T.Y. (the same ones I usually buy) and after several test I saw that 2x is (AGAIN) the best speed, like it used to be:

(Media: T.Y./Drive: Plextor Premium II)

2x:
Media/sec 0,4
Max/sec 14

Total C1: 1966

16x:
Media/sec 1,1
Max/sec 19

Total C1: 5519

What has been changed? Something in the chemical composition of the new T.Y.?

Is 2x still a good ?

I guess I need a clarification, please! :o

Don’t know if a right speed is better or not like is with games discs etc. Why not burn with eac at fast speed and slow speed see if you can tell. I have done that and when extracted and compared they both are identical. So for me writeing with eac at fast speed is ok.

Of course using nero or other tool may have different results and not be exact as eac.

Do you get the same results happening for each burn with those ty’s. Is it different with data only or using another disc for test comparing ?

I made this test only for audio cd because audio cd is waht I care and I repeated it several times with different burning software. More or less the results were always the same: very good at 2x, not that good at 16x.

I use EAC too, but only to extract the audio tracks.

My point is that everyone is looking for quality buying good media and good drivers… so why that hurry in burning audio cd?

Many modern drives do not allow extremely slow speed burns. For example, my Samsung SH-S203B, which is an extremely good quality burner for dvds, only allows burns down to 16x as its [B]slowest[/B] setting when I use TY cds.

The slowest speed allowed in my LG GGW-H20L is 24x for TY cds.

And my Optiarc 7240s and BenQ 1620 will let me burn them at 8x, but I have never had problems burning at 16x. My stash of TY cds is pretty old though, and I rarely burn cds anymore.

That is the point! I always got good result by 16x! Why now 2x by same media and same driver?

Oh I think it depend on the burning software and computer performance…a better software will give the faster speed on the same computer…hope this could help you, but if you using windows media player, you will get a slow speed to burn audio cd…:smiley:

^ Software cannot overcome firmware of the drive. If the drive doesn’t allow slow speed burns, it won’t do it at that speed, regardless of what your software is telling you.

I had said the computer performance…guy…it means the burner speed…thanks>>:)

[QUOTE=AVU2;2563251]I had said the computer performance…guy…it means the burner speed…thanks>>:)[/QUOTE]

Right! :iagree:

[QUOTE=AVU2;2563243]Oh I think it depend on the burning software and computer performance…a better software will give the faster speed on the same computer…hope this could help you, but if you using windows media player, you will get a slow speed to burn audio cd…:D[/QUOTE]

Once again:I used to get the best result at 16x.

Bought new media, same brand, same type, same seller, same everything… and all at once the best speed is 2x.

This test was made with the same media, same driver, same software.

[QUOTE=FlyingLuka;2563264]Once again:I used to get the best result at 16x.

Bought new media, [B]same brand, same type[/B], same seller, same everything… and all at once the best speed is 2x.

This test was made with the same media, same driver, same software.[/QUOTE]

I’m not convinced.
Please post the description and full ATIP here.
Or check available burnspeeds using your preferred burnsoftware.

If your burner has an PATA connector, it could be a PIO/DMA glitch…

[QUOTE=chef;2563302]I’m not convinced.
Please post the description and full ATIP here.
Or check available burnspeeds using your preferred burnsoftware.

If your burner has an PATA connector, it could be a PIO/DMA glitch…[/QUOTE]

Sure Chef! No problem! My buner is connected to a laptop by usb 2. It was like this when the burning speed was fine at 16 and the connection is still the same.

The first screenshot is 2x, the second 16x

Hi,

we all know that “scanning” is anything else but accurate.
These results could be very well within the borders of (in)accuracy, also manufacturing variance (even if the media is from the same box) has to be taken into consideration.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2563399]Hi,
…, also manufacturing variance (even if the media is from the same box) has to be taken into consideration.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Ok Michael, tell me what to do, and I’ll do it :slight_smile:

Seriously, I wouldn’t mind about this difference.
Of course, you could do a test series - but then you’ll run out of blank media :wink:
You could also scan these discs with another drive (if you have a Nexperia Benq or a NEC drive), plus you could scan a factory pressed CD for comparison.

EDIT:
I have some scans for you :wink:
#1:

Error	Maximum	Total	Average	
E11	113	280410	60.17
E21	24	13357	2.87
E31	24	5418	1.16
E12	236	22094	4.74
E22	4	6	0.00
E32	0	0	0.00
BLER	132	299185	64.20
Jitter	10.5%	n/a	7.17%

#2:

Error	Maximum	Total	Average	
E11	18	5530	1.19
E21	11	894	0.19
E31	14	881	0.19
E12	169	3893	0.84
E22	0	0	0.00
E32	0	0	0.00
BLER	22	7305	1.57
Jitter	8.0%	n/a	6.98%

One is the orignal factory pressed disc (brand new!)
The other one is a copy, made with a LG GE20NU10 @16x on a Verbatim Pastel (TY) CD-R. This drive supports these discs at 4x if required.

Which is the original, and which is the copy? :bigsmile:

Michael

Thanks Michael for your patience.

Unfortunately Nero CD/DVD speed does not work with Plextor dirve. I also tried to run regedit and delete the words “plextor” into a specific key but, in spite of it, Nero CD/DVD speed works in a very limited way giving ubreliable result. Viceversa, Plextools does not work with another drive.

My second drive is an Optiarc… I tried the scan with Nero cd speed, but also in this case very limited result… I mean NOT complete.

I can only use the combination Plextor/Plextools without restriction. :iagree:

P.S. I read somewhere that pressed CD have more errors than self made CD… is that true?

Hi,[QUOTE=FlyingLuka;2563498]
Unfortunately Nero CD/DVD speed does not work with Plextor dirve.[/quote]IIRC, this is by purpose. :frowning:

My second drive is an Optiarc… I tried the scan with Nero cd speed, but also in this case very limited result… I mean NOT complete.

This is odd :confused:

P.S. I read somewhere that pressed CD have more errors than self made CD… is that true?
Look at the scans I posted :bigsmile:

Michael

Why did you say it is odd?

I work with a laptop and this is the only iternal burner I was able to find after the first one got broken.

It was hard to find and the only ide I was able to buy. They only made sata nowdays, at least here in Italy.

Anyway I know CD/DVD speed is quite racist and squeamish. It only works with certain brand and certain model. Of course for some stupid marketing reason…

That was one more reason for me to quit using Nero forever and start burning with other softwares less exepansive, maybe less complete, but defenitively less buggy!

[QUOTE=FlyingLuka;2563514]Why did you say it is odd?

I work with a laptop and this is the only iternal burner I was able to find after the first one got broken.[/quote]Ah, okay. Some Optiarc laptop drives are recycled QSI hardware, which behaves different than genuine NEC Optiarcs.
I have an AD-7200A (desktop drive) in an USB enclosure which allows scanning.

It was hard to find and the only ide I was able to buy. They only made sata nowdays, at least here in Italy.

Not much different here in Germany :frowning:

Michael

Anyway Michael, my main driver is a Plextor Premium II into an USB enclosure which allows scanning ONLY by Plextools.

Is there any scan I can do by this method to let you fully undesrtand the conflict speed between 2x and 16 x ? :flower: