Right place to post scans showing disc aging?

vbimport

Where’s the right place to post scans showing disc aging? The scans subforum seems focused on scans of newly written discs.

Two threads right here in this forum :slight_smile:

Aging and older DVD media scans
Scans of aging and older CD media

Too bad there’s no database-driven part of the site that’d allow organized submission of such scans and precise searches. Seeking info in a single thread is difficult.

I think I’ll post in that forum and maybe create sort of an index thread for my scans with links to scans on the global thread and overall statistics.

Or something. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=shae;2101628]Too bad there’s no database-driven part of the site that’d allow organized submission of such scans and precise searches. Seeking info in a single thread is difficult.[/QUOTE]I agree. :iagree: - but the problem is the consistency of scanning methods over time. Most of the time, the comparisons are just too unreliable. :doh:

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2102374]I agree. :iagree: - but the problem is the consistency of scanning methods over time. Most of the time, the comparisons are just too unreliable. :doh:[/QUOTE]With enough meta-data included it could be possible to make sense of it afterwards, and possibly also update the presentation method after more “evidence” is gathered about drive behavior.

[QUOTE=shae;2102638]With enough meta-data included it could be possible to make sense of it afterwards, and possibly also update the presentation method after more “evidence” is gathered about drive behavior.[/QUOTE]Yes, it is possible: I’ve done that with my own database for my own collection, and I like to think that my analysis results are statistically sound and reliable.

Not an easy task BTW: only after about +/- 150 comparative scans + metadata were collected and cross-checked, could I start making some sense out of the mess it was… LOL :bigsmile: - now I have about 2000+ checks in this database, and I’m very confident in the information I get from the statistical cross-checks.

I’ve always been interested in an online database dedicated to media stability in real-life conditions. I’m not sure many users would agree to go through the hassle of collecting all the mandatory relevant meta-data, though.

Even without all meta-data is may still be useful.

What software do you use to keep track of all of this?

[QUOTE=shae;2103648]What software do you use to keep track of all of this?[/QUOTE]I created the relational database with an old version (3.0) of Filemaker (I like these older versions because they open up almost instantly :cool:).

I’m still on the looks for cataloging software that will do what I want and be flexible enough. And I can definitely sympathize with wanting it to start quickly. :slight_smile:

v3, isn’t that from 10+ years ago?

[QUOTE=shae;2103718]v3, isn’t that from 10+ years ago?[/QUOTE]Yep LOL - I have also v5 and v8. I keep going back to V3 for speed reasons. Only thing missing in v3, for my needs, is auto-sort in external tables. I just live without it most of the time.
I rarely use v8, bloated stuff for large database administrators, no use for people like me with simple needs.
v5 is just great, fine balance between power and user-friendliness, just not fast opening enough to my taste. :stuck_out_tongue: