RiDisc 2x DVD-R

I am looking at purchasing some RiDisc 2x DVD-R (Yellow) and from a random sample the MID is MCC 00RG200

Any good? Also how high speeds could I get up to?

I’m now sure why you’d want to buy any 2x media, as 2x will be the max speed for them unless you have a Benq1640 and use the overspeed feature. Get some good 8x media like Verbatim 8x DVD-R made in Japan (TYG02).

My NECs are flashed with Liggy firmware

Unless you have like an ND-1300A, I wouldn’t bother with any 2x media.

In case you’re just looking for cheap media you can try the unbranded (TDK) 2x from SVP - burns very well with 3520. I don’t use them a lot (since i burn them @2x) but scans are very good even compared to “good” media. I’ll definately buy more of those :slight_smile:

Yeah, I can also vouch for these discs ! I bought some for fun as they were so cheap, not knowing if they would be real TDK-manufactured discs (I still don’t know). They turned out to be very good :smiley: . I use them for my 1X standalone recorder.

I tried them with my PC burners and they burn much better in my Nec 3540A (@2X) than in my Pioneer 109 (stuck @1X).

Ridiscs… mmmmh I’ve been bitten more than once by this brand. I can’t recommend it.

But as others here have pointed out, unless it’s for a 1X standalone recorder or a 2X burner, why bother with 2X discs when prices are so low these days? :slight_smile:

Imo, as long as the disc writes pretty well, the big question should be “what’s the disc’s average lifespan”. With recent artificial longevity tests performed, MCC dyes did very well and I would rate this higher than slightly lower PIF/PIE scores.

Any guess as to how long those unbranded TDK’s would last ?

Dave

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: In my book, that’s pretty wise! :cool:

About the TDKG02, difficult to say with these unbranded ones (are they genuine? no one knows!), but I have a dozen TDK-branded ones recorded in February 2003 (by someone else) and they are in great shape.

The information so far suggest that the TDK discs of SVP are genuine.
But it should be possible to track them back with the right info.
All you would need are the serials and doing some research.

Yes, but for this, the serial should be readable… LOL
I mean on these discs (at least the ones I have) the serials are hardly visible, and I can’t be sure of whatever character/number are actually there.

I see something like
MAB609ML31054818 DO” but it’s what I see, I’m almost sure someone else would see something different. :confused:

A friend of mine sees the same, just he sees an “H” instead of an M
MAB609HL31054818 DO

Just for you to have an idea of how difficult it is, I post the best scan I could do :doh: LOL Dust is more visible than the characters!! (that’s without even mentioning the awful bonding defects on this one…)

0000 : 01 40 c1 fd 9e d8 50 00 02 98 0c 13 76 78 80 00 .@…P…vx…
0010 : 03 54 44 4b 47 30 32 00 04 30 30 30 30 30 30 00 .TDKG02…000000.
0020 : 05 88 80 00 00 00 01 00 …
** INFO : Format 10h - Physical Format Information Of Control Data Zone
0000 : 25 0f 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 26 12 7f 00 00 00 00 %…&…

Heh - You need to catch the right 1/100 mm angle to see it clearly

Here’s a guess on one of mine (I wouldn’t put all my money on this)
MAB605HL23224704 (DO) Seems we see some charachters the same :wink:

The print is very thin and clear. Serial number is very close to the hole. Right ?
Which is allmost impossible to scan. So far I have seen one person able to give me a very hard readable scan with this type of serial. Most times it turns out unreadalbe at least my own attempts do. :slight_smile:

I can say that this media was manufacturerd by a manufacturer (CMC magnetics) who was allowed to use the code.
But I can’t guarantee about the quality being the same as the disc’s sold through TDK.

Also I have verbatim with CMC MAGnetics MID (I have to look up the exact one.)with allmost the same code. Never had problems with these verbatims but I heard a lot of bad stuff about them.
example:MAB605HD10113019 4
If I’m correct.
Minus
AZO
B -> 2nd generation ?

Interestingly, the color (recordable side) is the same as MCC’s. But then again, it’s the same as TTG02…

Anyway, these discs are so incredibly cheap that I personally don’t mind that much if they’re genuine TDK or not. I trashed only 2 out of the first 45 I picked, because of bonding defects visible at the hub. NO coaster.

They’re handy for my @1X standalone recorder (JVC with LG drive), high reported PIEs (on 3540A) but nothing really worrying, perfect reading curves, no readability problems, and they outlived most of my other discs in my “chinese steamer test” (LOL) so I guess they’re pretty stable. Time will tell.

As long as people don’t use these discs for important data (but who would do that with 2X discs nowadays?), they’re a real bargain. :iagree:

Great feadback Francksoy :clap:

Thanks,

Dave