Ridiculous Microsoft Word grammar/spelling suggestions

vbimport

As pretty much everyone who regularly uses Microsoft Word knows, it is quite strict on grammar and spelling, regularly underlining words with red, green and even blue. However, it often finds grammar mistakes where the sentence appears fine and sometimes automatically corrects spelling errors to words you never intended typing, much like predictive texting.

Surely in Microsoft Word 2010 Microsoft must have improved its grammar/spelling correction capabilities over the last couple of generations. So let’s have a quick look at an e-mail I typed up a short while ago. Sure enough, there are several grammar/spelling errors, so it’s time to correct them…

Grammar error #1:

Was there a grammar rule about capitalisation that I somehow missed out on and that this sentence must start with a lower-case letter? Notice how it missed the double “that”.

Grammar error #2:

It doesn’t like my wink… So what’s with the blank suggestion?

Now on to a spelling error:

What’s wrong with the accent in my name? Microsoft has a major base in Ireland and there are plenty of Seán’s here, yet I’ve had this issue in every generation of Word since version 6.0 for Windows 3.1!

So, I chose “Add to dictionary” once again…

… which becomes grammar error #3:

What do you mean my name is a fragment and needs to be revised? :confused:

Forget that… :disagree: Back to my e-mail client and time to press send. :bigsmile:

Ouch!!

Remembers me of the words of a Professor always telling the sentence: “Word can do anything”… and I add “…even crappier”. :smiley:

LOL! I haven’t had any fun spelling or grammar suggestions in Word :doh:

I notice Word didn’t pick up on the “savs” (instead of “saves”) in one of your screenies, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2551498]I notice Word didn’t pick up on the “savs” (instead of “saves”) in one of your screenies, though. :p[/QUOTE]
This word was actually “says”, but the pop-up box covered the tail of the ‘y’. :wink:

For curiosity, I copied that e-mail into OpenOffice 3.2.1 Writer to see how it fared. The good news is that it didn’t show any of the false grammar errors that Word 2010 did above. On the other hand, OpenOffice still didn’t like my name, but at least it didn’t say my name is a fragment.

However, OpenOffice was not without a flaw either:

Forget Wi-Fi, we got Hi-Fi coverage here. :smiley:

Does Office 2010 offer a tool to defragment names? :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW judging by your avatar, it looks like you may have disabled one of the most helpful and useful features in Office ever created, so maybe you should invite Clippy back in? :bigsmile:

Yeah the grammar checker makes some horrendous suggestions at times although I find the spell checker pretty good.

It is handy that it highlights apparent errors but you need to know which ones to correct. :wink:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Kick the clipp0r. :smiley:

[QUOTE=Seán;2551533]This word was actually “says”, but the pop-up box covered the tail of the ‘y’. :wink:

For curiosity, I copied that e-mail into OpenOffice 3.2.1 Writer to see how it fared. The good news is that it didn’t show any of the false grammar errors that Word 2010 did above. On the other hand, OpenOffice still didn’t like my name, but at least it didn’t say my name is a fragment.

However, OpenOffice was not without a flaw either:

Forget Wi-Fi, we got Hi-Fi coverage here. :D[/QUOTE]

Ooops, my bad :o

Still, maybe you should change (the spelling of) your name. That’d clear things right up. :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2551848]Ooops, my bad :o

Still, maybe you should change (the spelling of) your name. That’d clear things right up. :p[/QUOTE]

Either that or we all change our names to Seán so that Microsoft will be forced to fix it! :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

I’ve an idea: I’ll leave them a personal recording. :slight_smile:

After dealing with enough Windows Vista:Z OS crashes and re-installations for a few neighbours, I often have to use the telephone activation method as the OS will not activate online. After I go through the telephone process (tedious, but works), it always asks if I would like to leave a recording on improving Microsoft products. So if the next version or service pack for Word recognises Seán, then I know they do take their recordings seriously. :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Wombler;2551852]Either that or we all change our names to Seán so that Microsoft will be forced to fix it! :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

LOL! Now there’s an interesting way to puss MS off, I like it :bigsmile:…might get a bit confusing on the forum though :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Seán;2551854]I’ve an idea: I’ll leave them a personal recording. :slight_smile:

After dealing with enough Windows Vista:Z OS crashes and re-installations for a few neighbours, I often have to use the telephone activation method as the OS will not activate online. After I go through the telephone process (tedious, but works), it always asks if I would like to leave a recording on improving Microsoft products. So if the next version or service pack for Word recognises Seán, then I know they do take their recordings seriously. :p[/QUOTE]

I dare you. :bigsmile:

On the subject of Vista crashes, I must be lucky then…neither of the machines I have Vista on crash that often - hardly ever in fact (famous last words? LOL). :eek:

[QUOTE=Seán;2551854]

After dealing with enough Windows Vista:Z OS crashes and re-installations for a few neighbours, I often have to use the telephone activation method as the OS will not activate online. :p[/QUOTE]
I have Vista & I have it working pretty well.
The only time I’ve had to reactivate (& it did require the telephone activation method) was when I did a system wide TAKEOWN & grant permissions with icacls.
BTW I don’t have MS Word

[QUOTE=Arachne;2551863]LOL! Now there’s an interesting way to puss MS off, I like it :bigsmile:…might get a bit confusing on the forum though :bigsmile:
[/QUOTE]

What makes you say that Seán? :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::wink:

[B]Wombler[/B]

It looks like I’ll be calling them sooner than I thought. A neighbour came for a visit to show me this:

Yup, Vista again. :doh:

In this case it’s caused by a failed HDD (WD Scorpio 160GB), but with it riddled with bad sectors, a clean Vista installation is necessary on a new HDD. This will most likely require product activation via telephone as with the last few Vista re-installations I carried out, so assuming this is the case, I’m going to leave my message. :slight_smile:

di ♥ vista " have to as its the only Thing I got at the moment .
also had to phone in a Office thing to activate .Got a South african Number then was Tranfered to another Number Spoke to some American "Asked where you baced "

India :bigsmile:
[SIZE=“4”]
My post is this link I found ,Just to let You all know Why di loves comic sans Font :p[/SIZE]

only found out reading comments its best 4 dyslexic people :flower:

[I]
ps… if di used MS Office 2007 ( sorry we run out of red ink ) and none of your words Make any sence :bigsmile:[/I]

Nice to see there are a few who had a lucky escape with Vista. :slight_smile: Kind of reminds me of the time with Windows ME, where I had one PC that seemed to work flawless with it and another PC that gave nothing but grief with the OS.

However, my idea of leaving the spoken suggestion has failed, at least this time. :frowning:

As usual a Vista installation for me never goes without a hitch. On the first go, I got stuck at the partition manager as buttons were greyed out. With the second attempt, the partition manger worked fine, Vista and the updates installed. Then came Windows activation…

Surprise surprise: :stuck_out_tongue:

So I went through the tedious automated telephone process and the activation went fine. After it read out the last step saying “To complete, press next”, it then said “Thank you for calling Microsoft, Goodbye!”.

Darn, no survey! :doh:

[QUOTE=Seán;2552828]Darn, no survey! :doh:[/QUOTE] Be glad you didn’t get some local Indian (who all talk like Apu from The Simpsons) missspelling your serial key fourteen times.

Then again, these people really don’t care. Just tell them you changed hardware and off you go, another licensed activated Microsoft product. Years ago i was once ordered by my chief to activate XP about 7 times on the same key.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2552897]Be glad you didn’t get some local Indian (who all talk like Apu from The Simpsons) missspelling your serial key fourteen times.[/QUOTE]

Hehe, maybe this is the reason Word 2010 has spelling problems. :stuck_out_tongue:

Despite countless times calling that activation number, I think it’s been about 5 years since I actually got put through to someone, which was when I tried activating the server OS for the second time on a server (first server had a problem.) From what I recall, the person was American, but I recall this person sure asked a lot of questions to verify I’m installing this on a single server before speaking the confirmation ID.

On the other hand, the phone number is freephone, at least here in Ireland.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2552897]Years ago i was once ordered by my chief to activate XP about 7 times on the same key. [/QUOTE]
So far I’m been pretty lucky with XP activations, as I think I’ve only once had to reactivate XP by phone despite years of reinstallations and changing hardware, motherboards, etc. that required re-activation. I’ve only had to reinstall Windows 7 once for someone and it also activated fine online. Windows Vista on the other hand is by far the worst OS for requiring telephone activation and from my experience is the OS that breaks down the most, requiring re-installation (start-up repair rarely works and system restore works temporarily at best.)

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2552897]Be glad you didn’t get some local Indian (who all talk like Apu from The Simpsons) missspelling your serial key fourteen times.

[/QUOTE]

LOL :iagree:

BTW, not only Microsoft seems to have ‘smart’ software. I’ve heard of some ‘funny’ “Ads by Google” examples as well.

Example: