RICOHJPN R03: Would You Trust It For Archiving?

vbimport

Is there anyone here, and this is especially directed at R03 fans like Dalen, who would trust RICOHJPN R03 for archiving?

I’m getting ridiculously consistent scanning and TRT results with my Office Depot branded R03s, from spindle to spindle, but I’m wondering if there is anyone out there who would trust it’s longevity?

Should R03 remain permanently in the everyday use category, or is there anyone out there who uses them as one of their archival medias?

[QUOTE=negritude;2091171]Is there anyone here, and this is especially directed at R03 fans like Dalen, who would trust RICOHJPN R03 for archiving?

I’m getting ridiculously consistent scanning and TRT results with my Office Depot branded R03s, from spindle to spindle, but I’m wondering if there is anyone out there who would trust their longevity?

Should R03 remain permanently in the everyday use category, or is there anyone out there who uses them as one of their archival medias?[/QUOTE]

I probably have 100 R03 in my backups and they seem to hold up perfectly fine. I’d bet most on my printable Ricoh’s but the cheaper Maxell’s seem fine too. Somehow i seem to prefer Verbatim for backups but have nothing bad to say about my JPN R03 (or R01 - i’d still use the R01 if they were available) :slight_smile:

Though I love this MID for everyday use, I never considered them for archiving…so I’m interested to see where this thread goes :slight_smile:

I have quite a few in my “everyday use” disc set, so I may pull out some of the older ones and scan/TRT them.

I don’t use them specifically for backups, but I would easily consider it. I think I have discs [only from 3 years ago] that have held up well, as far as internal disc degradation goes. I don’t know how scratched, etc, they’ll be, though. I’ll try to find one or two and see. :slight_smile:

I haven’t used RICOHJPN R03 long enough to have an opinion on how they are for archival, but they’re at least good enough for the daily data stuff and they also work in my picky DVD player (used for testing only).

[QUOTE=Arachne;2091228]Though I love this MID for everyday use, I never considered them for archiving…so I’m interested to see where this thread goes :)[/QUOTE]

The only reason I brought this up is that I’m finding the D0110 and D0127 series disks to not only burn well, but to burn well consistently, at least under the Office Depot brand. To me, better than perfect burns are burns that are similar within a spindle and across spindles, and the R03 I’ve been using has all of that.

I’m just wondering if RICOHJPN R03 has been overlooked in the same way that OPTODISC R16 was. It could be a great media that people never considered before because they are so Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden obsessed.

Well yes, the RICOH JPN R03 I’ve used (Maxell-branded) has been pretty consistent over several spindles, bought at different times.

That’s good enough for me, but before I’d use it as archival media, I’d have to recheck my original burns and see how they stand up after a period of time (or if anyone could post some re-scans, that would be great, too). :slight_smile:

Avoid RICOH JPN R03 made in India discs

[QUOTE=Gary Kokkin;2091519]Avoid RICOH JPN R03 made in India discs[/QUOTE]

I bought them (made in India) about a week ago. 25 pieces in cakebox. 8 discs burnt so far on my Pioneer DVR-111 and no problems yet.

Which problems you’ve experienced with these?

I just picked some up in an office depot sale.

So far, they’ve been pretty good burns. I’ve still got some 3 years ago that i backed up cartoons on for my son. The ones that aren’t scratched to all hell still play wonderfully.

I’m pretty sure my Ricoh R03 discs are made in India. I remember i was surprised but have never had a problem with MII discs. Also never had many of them :wink:

[QUOTE=Gary Kokkin;2091519]Avoid RICOH JPN R03 made in India discs[/QUOTE]

I don’t think we’ve seen any MII Ricoh in North America. All the Office Depot branded Ricoh media is MIT, as is the Maxell. Some of the Memorex might be MII, but I doubt it.

Two sample burns. I’ve seen burns with other drives that are much better, but the key for me is that all my R03 burns are pretty much like these. Not a single dud among them and consistent.

[QUOTE=negritude;2092018]I don’t think we’ve seen any MII Ricoh in North America. [/QUOTE]

I haven’t seen any, either. All mine are MIT (RiTEK).

Nice burns, negritude - though I scan on a LiteOn, my burns are similar to yours.

My first Ricoh 50 cake is MII :iagree:

Is there any way to tell if the Office Depot brand +R is RICOJPN R03? I purchased a 50pk during the sale but got Ritek F16 which seem to be ok but certaily nothing too special. I would really like to try the R03.

Moe

[QUOTE=zipplemeyer;2092308]Is there any way to tell if the Office Depot brand +R is RICOJPN R03? I purchased a 50pk during the sale but got Ritek F16 which seem to be ok but certaily nothing too special. I would really like to try the R03.

Moe[/QUOTE]

http://club.cdfreaks.com/2087142-post29.html

[QUOTE=Albert;2092355]http://club.cdfreaks.com/2087142-post29.html[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info Albert. Next time I’ll know which spindle to grab.

Moe

[QUOTE=negritude;2091171]Is there anyone here, and this is especially directed at R03 fans like Dalen, who would trust RICOHJPN R03 for archiving?
[/QUOTE]

R03 seems quite stable. I have burned a few Ridisc and Maxell branded
R03s over the last couple of years and so far, I haven’t seen any signs
of early degradition.

The first scan is a Ridisc Xtreme RICOHJPN R03 (MIT)
I can’t remember the burner or burn speed. It looks
pretty good after more than a year.

The second disc was burned and scanned today. This is
another Ridisc Xtreme RICOHJPN R03 (MIT) burned at 8x
in a Liteon LH-20A1P.

Hmm I would ask:

Is there a reason not to trust them? I don’t think I’ve read any stories about them degrading. If the bonding looks good and you get such good consistent scans, I’d personally trust them. They may indeed be an overlooked MID that performs well with good stability.