Ricohjpn r03 04 good scan? PIE Errors increasing with sequential burns

vbimport

I was just wondering if this is considered a good scan. I read that anything under 4 for PIF is good. I have jutter(DVD) unchecked, and PIE of less than 280 is also good. So i guess this means this is a good scan? I was just wondering because most of the other discs in the spindle measured with a PIF high of 2, and were only occasional spikes at that, but this disc seems to have big blocks of em. It seems that when i burn multiple Discs, at about the 3rd of 4th disc i burn in a row, the PIE Errors seems to go higher and happen more consistently. But if i turn off my computer for a couple mionutes and turn it back on, the disc burns turn out a lot better. Is that normal?

I’m curious… if you scan this disc again after your machine’s been off for a while, does the scan look better?

nah, the scan looks about the same :’(… is it a bad scan though? all my sony discs seem to have a constant 2 PIF errors for the first quarter of the disc, then it gets spaced

The scan is within specs, but I wouldn’t consider it a good scan; the seemingly “solid” blocks of PIF are a sign of mediocre media or burn. (The blocks aren’t actually solid, but due to the limited resolution of the graph they look that way).

For a 16x scan, it’s not so bad. However, considering there are discs that scan both better and worse at 16x than they do at lower speeds, I’d place it somewhere in the mediocre scan category. :iagree:

Looks like a bad burn/bad media. If you scan @ 4x, there will probably be less PIE but more PIF.

Hmmmm… I see you are using a 20A1P drive they are not the best at scanning @max speed or even @ 8x speed
like cd pirate said try slowing it down to 4x speed and you should see a big difference in the PIF and PIE amounts. If
they still look about the same at a 4x scan then it is definitely time to try a different kind of media in there. :wink:

[QUOTE=getit29;2022614]Hmmmm… [B]I see you are using a 20A1P drive they are not the best at scanning @max speed or even @ 8x speed[/B]
like cd pirate said try slowing it down to 4x speed and you should see a big difference in the PIF and PIE amounts. If
they still look about the same at a 4x scan then it is definitely time to try a different kind of media in there. ;)[/QUOTE]

With latest firmware : KL0N , 16x scanning is very reliable (at least for me) although 8X is still very unreliable .

TRT will show you whether the disc is good or bad

My old 20A1P used to scan more erratically the warmer it got. I never really burned too much media with it, but I would suspect that its writing performance might be affected by drive temp as well. Just thought I’d say it. :slight_smile: