Ricoh Japan R03 - Good or Bad?

First of all, hello to everyone in this forum. You have developed an awesome site with tons of information. Yes I’ve searched, but I can’t find a straight answer to my question.

I’ve been buying Ricoh R03’s (16x) under the dynex name brand from Best Buy. I get great burns, very few coasters, and awesome scans using ‘CD-DVD Speed’ in Nero. I always scan with my BenQ 1640, but I’m burning DVD’s using both that and my Plextor 716-A using Nero Burning-ROM. The quality score I receive is always between 94% and 99%.

Here is a scan from a burn I made 5 days ago. Source DVD was encoded to my HD and then riped to the DVD at 12X.

General Information
Drive: BENQ DVD DD DW1640
Firmware: BSLB
Disc: DVD+R (RICOHJPN R03)
Selected speed: Maximum
PI errors
Maximum: 14
Average: 5.49
Total: 62046
PI failures
Maximum: 10
Average: 0.45
Total: 5662
PO failures: 0
Jitter
Maximum: 11.5 %
Average: 9.00 %
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 9:36
Number of samples: 17716
Average scanning interval: 8.00 ECC
Glitches removed: 0

Quality score on this scan was 94%. To me, this looks like a quality scan, and it is similar to most of my burns. Here is a scan I just took from an R03 (Dynex branded) I burned about 6 months ago at 16x on my Plextor.

General Information
Drive: BENQ DVD DD DW1640
Firmware: BSLB
Disc: DVD+R (RICOHJPN R03)
Selected speed: Maximum
PI errors
Maximum: 16
Average: 5.67
Total: 64265
PI failures
Maximum: 11
Average: 0.41
Total: 5008
PO failures: 0
Jitter
Maximum: 11.3 %
Average: 9.55 %
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 9:42
Number of samples: 17638
Average scanning interval: 8.04 ECC
Glitches removed: 0

Quality score also 94%. Even though I get great scans, I’m still worried about longevity. Does anybody know for sure if this is quality media or not?

Thanks,
PowderHound

Ricoh is usually pretty decent but not what I would call “outstanding media” Just out of curiosity, how much do you pay for these discs? Also at what speed are you scanning them?

I’m scanning at the ‘maximum speed’ setting, which on the last scan started at about 4.1x and finished at 8.31x.

Dynex is Best Buy’s ‘house brand’. Every couple of weeks, you can find 100 packs of these on sale for $40 after an instant rebate, and if there’s an open box tag on it, you can get an even better price if you talk to a manager. I just figure that if it’s good media and you can get it locally for cheep, go for it.

Personally I do consider Ricoh 01 and 03 as ‘outstanding’ even if not ‘the best’.
02 is not all that great, though.

My batch of RICOHJPNR03 is excellent but I’ve heard many others with a bad ones. Maybe I’m just lucky. Look here for some RICOHJPNR03 burns in various burners: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1130842&postcount=70

Well I can say this when it comes to stability.
1 It has a relative good stable azo dye.
2 It uses riteks bonding mechanism. (Which means ugly looking sides of the disc. But so good bonded that these disc’s won’t fall a part. Also better bonded means that it will be harder for water/air to penetrate the dye/metal layer from the sides.) Really other compannies (specially TY) can learn much of how to bond a disc from Ritek.

Ricoh 01 looks like had the best production control check, for each batch,before release to market-That check, made them, more expensive many times, than YUDEN000-T01

Thanks for the responses everybody. Here’s a couple of scans I did yesterday. My new lowest quality score recieved is a 92 on a disc I burned about 5 months ago.

Your first burn is decent, although it would be better to see the PIFs spread out more evenly rather than in concentrated spikes. This is what most of my Ridata branded RICOHJPN R02 discs scan like, almost identical results.

Your second burn is very poor. Jitter is not very good, and huge concentrations of PIF errors. This is alot like my RICOHJPN R02 discs that have visible defects in the dye. Although it’s not a coaster and it will probably read back Ok, I would reburn it if the data is anything important.

I don’t know what is causing the chunks of PIF errors in these RICOHJPN discs - the smaller chunks, the larger chunks are from visible dye defects(same problem with my RICOHJPN R02). Perhaps they are from dust during the manufacturing process or dye problems that are too small to see. I don’t know what the hell is wrong with Ritek, but they are putting out marginal products and this now includes RICOHJPN media. Most of the older Ritek media burns very well, and RICOHJPN R01 discs are some of the best media around.

Thanks for the infos and the heads up scoobiedoobie :slight_smile:

When seeing these scans, I thought “dust! smudges!”, but as you mention dye defects… it’s a pity that Ricoh discs now suffer from quality control problems :frowning:

Someone asked about price, and so it’s worth an anecdote to show how silly the retail system is with this stuff. I got a spindle of 75 Dynex DVD+R (Ritek R03) plus 25 CD-R for $23 at Best Buy the day after Thanksgiving here in the U.S., and there’s a $20 rebate on them as well. So 75 good +Rs for $3 at the end of the day. But they won’t play at all on my Pioneer DV-45A, and I don’t know about my car DVD player, so they may be relegated to strictly data purposes :frowning:

Rob T