Ricoh DVD+RW

vbimport

(Sold as) TDK DVD+RW 4x. Burnt at 4x

(media code RICOHJPNW11 seems to be the same for Ricoh DVD+RW so I thought this appropriate post in the Ricoh +RW media forum)

Liteon 812S US0J writer

Hi Guys, anyone had this problem before? The burn seem to go fine in nero (it did mention that it needed to format the disc…?) either way, explorer can view and copy all the disc contents fine, but kprobe thinks the disc is unformated?? Clicking the Check Size box in kprobe 2.0 just returns “Disc is unformatted” in the status bar at the bottom. (See attached pic).

Heres some info from DVDinfo Pro 2.43:

Media Information                            

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID RICOHJPNW11
Media Product Revision Number 01h
Book Type DVD-ROM
Media Type DVD+RW
Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
BG Format Status Suspended
Data area starting sector 30000h
Data area end sector 23053Fh
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

Note: I notice other users seem to get more info (from this application?) i.e. (take from rdgrimes post on page 1 of this thread)

Format Type UDF 1.02
Volume Name WHEREEAGLESDARE
Application id
Implementation id AHEAD Nero
Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 9/26/2003 1:07:28
Format Capacity 4.38GB(4.70GB)
Free Blocks 0

why am I missing these?

Heres also some infor from DVD Identifier

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+RW:RICOHJPN-W11-001]

Disc Type : [DVD+RW]
Manufacturer ID : [RICOHJPN]
Media Type ID : [W11]
Product Revision : [001]
Disc Application Code : [General Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x - 4x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [Not Supported By Method 2]

[DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]

and from the ‘media code’-block

0000 : 01 0f 01 00 00 03 00 00 00 24 89 6f 00 00 00 00 …$.o…
0010 : 00 00 01 52 49 43 4f 48 4a 50 4e 57 31 31 01 39 …RICOHJPNW11.9
0020 : 23 00 8a 86 68 02 26 00 8a 86 70 02 28 00 8a 86 #…h.&…p.(…
0030 : 6a 02 28 22 12 10 e0 00 f0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 j.("…

Also I just found I cant read the disc period on a another computers DVD ROM (LiteON) drive. (Which even read princo -r’s ok… arent DVD ROMs usually able to read +Rw (and -RWs?) ?

lastly kprobe scan… or lack of scan
:confused:

Regards

Moved to appropriate forum.

This is a posted issue with Kprobe2 and has been fixed in version 2.0.1 I think.

aww ok, cool thanks then man

im grabbing http://kprobe.cdfreaks.com/23ab4c/KP2Setup2.0.1.exe
now

the one i had installed was v2.0.0 (per the about screen)… why then was the install/setup.exe -> KP2Setup2.2.0.exe ?? kinda suggests v2.2.0 … anyways il be uninstalling and putting 2.0.1 in soon.

any ideas then about the extra fields im seemingly missing from disc info in DVDinfo pro ?

and the thing with the disc being inaccessible on the other pc’s liteon dvdrom…?

cheers

Originally posted by lulchul
[B]aww ok, cool thanks then man

im grabbing http://kprobe.cdfreaks.com/23ab4c/KP2Setup2.0.1.exe
now

the one i had installed was v2.0.0 (per the about screen)… why then was the install/setup.exe -> KP2Setup2.2.0.exe ?? kinda suggests v2.2.0 … anyways il be uninstalling and putting 2.0.1 in soon.

any ideas then about the extra fields im seemingly missing from disc info in DVDinfo pro ?

and the thing with the disc being inaccessible on the other pc’s liteon dvdrom…?

cheers [/B]

The confusion about the version is due to some moderator having fat fingers and typing it wrong.:o 2.0.1 is the newest as of this writing.

The info returned in the media codes will vary depending on whether you are looking at a blank or burned disc.

As to your RW disc being unreadable in a DVD-ROM, it probably does not support +RW media and might want to have book-type set to DVD-ROM to read the disc.

ok. no probs.

2.0.1 is in and functional for me now.

ok to regarding info varying from whether media is burnt or blank.

my US0J firware has been bitsetting hacked prior to flashing with bs_auto.exe. worked fine. also check my post with the info from DVDinfo pro, book type IS set to DVD-ROM…

so not sure why cannot read it?..

also, this is the worst part, the k-probe scan gets to about 90% then gets a servo error! :frowning:

this has happened with cheaper longtech media, but also now with this good media, im concerned my hardware is faulty.

Its only the 4th disc I’ve burnt since owning the drive (812S) for 4 days now. Only other disc I’ve burnt was Princo’s, they had shocking pi/po’s, but no servo errors…

check the attached pic, no graph cause the test wont complete - probably would if I waited 2+ hrs…(it took normal time to get to around 90% then a good 20mins to progress from 90 to 95%… so i just took this screen capture…

notice pi’po’s are very low, which is good

servo error but?! :confused::sad:

heeelp me… should I be looking at returning this drive? the burn seemed to go fine, I havent tried copying all the data back to hdd yet, nor ran nero cd-speed etc yet.

Update: now the % has stopped at 95.5% (see pic) and the status has changed to PUH Skipped at LBA xxxxxx and is Climbing… oohhh :frowning:

so not sure why cannot read it?..

Book type is no guarantee that a disc will be read-able in a picky drive. Some of them aren’t fooled.

Not sure ahy you are having scanning trouble, running some RW tests here now. Be sure that you do nothing with the optical drives on your system while scanning. I’ve noticed that this will trip Kprobe into having such errors.
Other problems with the discs themselves can cause these errors, the way they are burned or even flaws.