Ricoh dual layer and HP 840e

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the HP DVD840e. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi everybody,
Before yesterday I had never burned a dual layer DVD.

Also I had never had any serious media problems at all.

But I cannot get the HP 840e to burn with Media ID RICOHJPND01C.

The media seem OK on my other burner LITE-ON DVDRW LH-18A1H.

Is there any known compatibility issue with this HP/Ricoh combination?

The failure is total. What I mean is that the media are still blank.

Also I just installed ImgBurn and the same happens. ImgBurn reports the media as Disc ID: RICOHJPN-D01-67.

Any advice or discussion welcomed,

Regards,
Ed

What brand are those Ricohs?

It says on the pack:
DVD+R 8x (Intenso) double layer Printable.

[QUOTE=ed800uk;2125400]It says on the pack:
DVD+R 8x (Intenso) double layer Printable.[/QUOTE]

Intenso DVD DL media are mostly made in China, Macao or Hong Kong and do have a fake MID codes. You should use another brand of media, preferably Verbatim.

At 2 quid a shot they sure should not be counterfeit!

I bought them at Maplin’s in a 10-pack cake.

Praise to His Noodly Appendage for your help!

I have some RICOHJPN-D01-67’s under the Infiniti 360 brand (made in Taiwan). Bought from SVP.

While my LiteOn and Samsung drives complete a burn successfully, playback is another story - and my LG E10N will only support them at 4x, if it burns it at all!

In the end, I just use them for testing now, nothing important. For important stuff, it’s Verbatim all the way :slight_smile: - at least I know I’ll get a usable burn!

[QUOTE=ed800uk;2125406]At 2 quid a shot they sure should not be counterfeit!

I bought them at Maplin’s in a 10-pack cake.

Praise to His Noodly Appendage for your help![/QUOTE]

Could you post us a serial numbers and stamper code?
R-amen!

Where do I find serial number?

[QUOTE=ed800uk;2125416]Where do I find serial number?[/QUOTE]

You can find it on the inner plastic hub of the medium.

No, totally blank. I compared agains other media where there is a sort of embossed printing, but ver tricky to read.

On these, no chance. They are printed to withinn 2mm of the spindle hole with matt white to allow inkjet labelling.

[QUOTE=ed800uk;2125428]No, totally blank. I compared agains other media where there is a sort of embossed printing, but ver tricky to read.

On these, no chance. They are printed to withinn 2mm of the spindle hole with matt white to allow inkjet labelling.[/QUOTE]
Is there any stamper code - the characters and numbers like these?

No, absolutely nothing to identify the DVD.

While cdfreaks server was unavailable, I went to PcWorld to blow another 20 quid, this time on a 10-pack of Verbatim 2.4x, and Praise The Sauce, it seems to be working!

One of the incognito white DVDs seems to have been written OK on my LITE-ON drive. So the HP is being much more picky.

Nero and Ashampoo chose 4x for the white disks. ImgBurn gave me a option and I picked 2.4x. All failed the same way, leaving the disk blank. Also the DVD could not be ejected from the 840e until after power cycling it.

LG drives [of which your HP drive is one] are very picky about what they write. Either give them the best, or don’t try at all. :wink:

Disclaimer: I subject my 840e to all sorts of single-layer cruddy media that I can find, and end up with decent results, but I know better than to try anything other than A-grade DL discs in it, which usually means Verbatim. :iagree:

That’s my experience too. I’ve used all single layer bargain basement DVDs on the HP 840e without problem.

Just for the record the Verbatim that are working well in the HP 840e are Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation ID MKM001. The embossed marking reads 808: 802 +RA FG D3 09053 and the outer mark which is in mirror writing reads ZE0388-DVR-V851C.
Regards to all,
Ed