RIAA wants LimeWire closed for good

vbimport

I just posted the article RIAA wants LimeWire closed for good.

The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) is requesting a U.S. federal judge to close the popular LimeWire file sharing program due to a large number of copyrighted files being shared through the program.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/riaa-wants-limewire-closed-for-good-30569/](http://www.myce.com/news/riaa-wants-limewire-closed-for-good-30569/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

The RIAA and MPAA are dreaming that if Limewire is closed anything will change. When one door closes more open up…

What they are looking for is a legal precedent to shut down file sharing programs like this so they can use the domino effect to stop them all. What they don’t understand is that you cant stop innovation.

I don’t quite understand how they would shut it down? I don’t think I’ve ever used limewire, however I used other p2p program back in the day. Back then there was no central server, they popped up after metallica took down napster. The idea being its hard to take something down when theres no central server.

I guess what I’m saying is they could prevent whoever makes the software from creating new versions, but its out there, all over the internet. You can really make it go away?

I believe Limewire phones home every time it’s run, and it also has to update the node ip addresses if it works like Kazaa or gnutella, so it could be force updated to shutdown. That does not stop someone from reverse engineering it however.

that makes more sense.

but all that being said, such an open network just begs for snooping from the RIAA/MPAA. You’d have to be pretty brave to grab stuff off there in the first place.

[QUOTE=Zod;2523620]… such an open network just begs for snooping from the RIAA/MPAA. You’d have to be pretty brave to grab stuff off there in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Pretty brave or in some cases clueless.

The technical level of the folks on this forum is generally quite high. The technical level of the average internet user is quite a bit lower. Unfortunately, in many cases it is very low.

In general, that’s how you end up with the giant “bot armies” that spew most of the SPAM on the net. People don’t know how to properly configure their machines. Also, in some/many cases people don’t know the risks of the actions they take on the net.