RIAA to stop suing individual file sharers

vbimport

I just posted the article RIAA to stop suing individual file sharers.

The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) plans to transition from suing individual file sharers and will instead focus on having Internet access cut for repeat offenders.
This is a…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15331-RIAA-to-stop-suing-individual-file-sharers.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15331-RIAA-to-stop-suing-individual-file-sharers.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I seriously doubt this will go anywhere. It’s just the next illogical step the RIAA takes since it largely loses in court and has precedents firmly established against it to HAVE to prove user x downloaded the content FAR beyond just having a general IP address.

Yeah, I’m betting they aren’t going to have much success with this one. In their previous lawsuits, they were at least claiming to be following a legal process. This new tactic is going to face a few challenges, not the least of which is that pesky constitutional thing about due process. The ISPs will be opening themselves up to massive lawsuits if they terminate/cripple someone’s access based simply on a claim from the RIAA, their going to need an actual court ruling against that individual, where evidence and a defense was presented, and a conviction obtained, otherwise they’ll be screwed. This new tactic should result in quite a few new lawsuits, but against the ISPs and RIAA instead of individuals. The lawyers are going to love it.

"
We have a good faith belief that this activity is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law. We are asking for your immediate assistance in stopping this illegal activity. Specifically, we respectfully request that you remove or disable access to the unauthorized music. "

In other words, we don’t have rock solid proof to take this to court. I hope this crap doesn’t get any traction.

Who cares if it will work or not? It sure beats the hell out of a hefty bill. I would rather a letter or 2, then suspension for a month. Theres more than one way to get internet.

This would be a great reason for me to dump one ISP and go with another. Let’s wait and see what ISP’s are on board once the reports start rolling in…

The RIAA suing people never did no damage to the overall P2P Network.