RIAA sues university students for running file-search services

I just posted the article RIAA sues university students for running file-search services.

As part of their campaign against campus music  swapping, the RIAA has sued four university students who  operated file-search services on their school's internal networks:       The       ...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/5670-RIAA-sues-university-students-for-running-file-search-services.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/5670-RIAA-sues-university-students-for-running-file-search-services.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

And so they take the file trading off the networks and trade by swapping CD-Rs, loan their own CDs around so others can copy them…wotcha gonna do now RIAA, mount a spy on all their PCs? Face it RIAA, you lost the Piracy war as soon as CD-R devices arrived. Hell, I even know of police officers who hire CDs from the library and copy them for personal use. They don’t sell them on, they probably don’t even make (or let make) friends and family copies. If you can’t convince law enforement officers that it’s wrong, how ya gonna convince joe public it’s wrong? Personally I have no problem with the busting of organised piracy rings where money is changing hands, but I’m sorry freebe copies to friends and family…that’s just tough. If you can’t secure your product, then either put up with copying or stop producing the product in the first place. As many of us have said before, 99.99% of music output is purile garbage anyway.

Suing students? Don’t they realize that students are poor? What are they going to sue them for? Their ramen noodles? Come on RIAA… why don’t you do something productive, like finding ways to get people to buy your (overpriced) CDs?

frankly, unless this twit sherman has absolute proof that these networks were used to trade illegal files, he better build up his bank account for counter litigation. This should bear watching, if the court proceeds then the burden of proof is placed upon the accused. When they said “innocent 'til proven guilty” , they obviously didn’t really mean it. Didnt we get rid of this type of jackboot law in 1945…someone slap me,I think I’m dreaming… :X

the kids deserved it. did anyone read the article? what the f*** are college kids doing with over a million files shared over an intranet? owning them legally? psss ha. remember napster?

And at the same time the broadband companies are breathing down our necks to get broadband, get brodband, get brodband, well when everyone has it guess what? the world is gonna be one big college campus. I guess they can sue all the college students they want but remember, Making drugs illegal didn’t stop drugs. Making murder illegal didn’t stop murder. Making speeding illegal didn’t stop speeders. Passing laws won’t make people stop doing things. Laws only apply to the people that follow them, and you can’t catch everybody. Or the two guys that held my girlfriend at gun point in a robery wouldn’t be living the high life. But we’re more worried about copyright’s then we are violent criminals aren’t we?

when you take risks , you can get in troubles we all know that…and we have to live with it

I’d consider the RIAA a group of legal organised criminals, i.e. by sueing an individual or company is really the same as legally robbing them of their cash. The only difference is that they don’t resort to physical violence (guns, knives, etc.) or pick-pocketing. Let’s face it, if Music was properly priced like your everyday groceries, piracy would by very close to nil. Imagine if the bread bakery decided to up the price of bread 10-fold and introduced a law to make it illegal to do home-baking (equivalent to downloading music) and illegal to give away home-baked bread (equivalent to giving a copy for your CD away). If this happened, I’m sure people would still bake and give/sell away bread even if they knew it were illegal. Try telling this to the RIAA.

Can RIAA sue the 4.5 million people currently on KaZaA? or the roughly 1 million people currently on Edonkey2000? Or maybe the lesser amount of people currently sharing and swapping files on thousands of other p2p or LAn networks? I’m skeptical. All they want is more money.

I use gnutella, nobody ever mentions gnutella, but just for the record; that’s what I use.

RIAA made a bad PR error in sueing university students. I trust RIAA as much as I trust Iraqs Information Minister.

How dare you compare Iraqs obviously Honest Information Minister to the RIAA you Swine!:B

Quote: “How dare you compare Iraqs obviously Honest Information Minister to the RIAA you Swine!” Response: hehehehe… Don’t worry, all the RIAA is doing is stirring up a storm! Suing students if a bad idea – it will just encourages more students to do the same. It’s human nature. In worst case scenario, if the RIAA shuts down the Western world, the Eastern world is always opened for file trading. Try to sue a Chinese student for illegal file sharing Mr Sherman and u might just get an AK-47 assault rifle shove up your arse!

Quote: “How dare you compare Iraqs obviously Honest Information Minister to the RIAA you Swine!” Response: hehehehe… Don’t worry, all the RIAA is doing is stirring up a storm! Suing students if a bad idea – it will just encourages more students to do the same. It’s human nature. In worst case scenario, if the RIAA shuts down the Western world, the Eastern world is always opened for file trading. Try to sue a Chinese student for illegal file sharing Mr Sherman and u might just get an AK-47 assault rifle shove up your arse!