RIAA should give it all back, says lawyer

I just posted the article RIAA should give it all back, says lawyer.

Merely defending clients against copyright infringement lawsuits isn’t good enough, according to one lawyer battling the music industry.

Instead, K.A.D. Camara (pictured below) is calling for the…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15979-RIAA-should-give-it-all-back-says-lawyer.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15979-RIAA-should-give-it-all-back-says-lawyer.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I agree with the guy. $150,000 per song? Come on, not even a shoplifter gets that if you stole the cd right out of the store.

Yeah…I’ve never heard of anyone shoplifting for a store getting stuck with more than the actual value of restitution for the thing taken. Since it’s easy to buy a track for .99, that’s the most the RIAA should be entitled to charge per track. Everyone reads about “fair market value” for every item sold. Regardless of common sense and decency, I doubt we’ll ever see the RIAA give a cent back with the fact the way they violate civil procedural rules in their suits means they aren’t interested in what’s legal nor fair. Of course, far too many judges haven’t quashed their ex-parte proceedings either as the baseless acts they are.

Don’t they realize that in many cases a download can lead to the purchase of an entire album? My infatuation with Deborah Harry/Blondie began with a copied tape back in the 80s. Even though the BAND got SCREWED OVER by the record companies those same companies have made a fortune out of me as I’ve updated vinyl and CDs (and SACDs when they finally get released), DVDs, posters, t-shirts. After hearing a partial Russell Watson track, I went out and purchased the CD. Every MP3 track I have starts with a 6-character code, so even if the full name gets destroyed because of a DOS transfer, I can still identify (and present) exactly which disc (or vinyl) the track was ripped from. Why would I want a magnetic copy only without the backup of a physical disc?

dud use itunes, it the onnly program good for a large collection it also has a better mp3 encoder lame is just bad the original desiner for mp3 is better and apple uses that. and manages librarie perfectly. i have a huge collection and tried the all itunes the winner,since apple is evil and does not suport opren source well, i think i will give meiamunkey a try or i would prefer winamp for my flac and ogg

Napster greatly broadened my knowledge, contact to a variety of music I would’ve never have been in contact with otherwise! After all, that former community, at it’s beginng, was a formidable way for the poor student that I was to dive in a true diversity. Back then you could do that and not remain poor forever. This way you could become, one day, richer and buy the real thing along with the 10k$ sound system to enjoy it! Now, they make sure to hit the tinybidy nail with such a disproportionate force that you could remain poor for the rest of your, and their days. I dont see the profit in that. Now, I buy rare and expensive editions and I can’t protect them, I have to travel all around the world with them exposing them to those luggage guys who load planes, border inspections, rented car cd readers, hotel-motel personnel… Nah! I like my 67$ singles cds scratchless and unstollen. I don’t see the wrong or the infringement in that. Sue me

Knowledge is the true power. Give us us free! (Joshph Cinque)

Lame is bad? Ok, that was a stretch. Can I have some of that stuff you are smoking?

He ain;t smoking anything. The guy is obviously on crack cocaine!!
Lame is by far the better of all the mp3 encoders, but anyone with smarts wouldn’t use mp3 but .ogg-vorbis as it’s sound is far superior.

Also mediamonkey gold craps on iTunes from a bloody great height. Come to think of it, just about all music collection programs far out-perform that useless piece of spyware.

It’s simply a case of not being able to teach this old dog any new tricks. So stuck in it’s way’s the RIAA would prefer to simply force everyone to conform to there thinking, rather then accept and adapt a marketing stratergy that’s in line with new technology and habits.

It’s not all that surprising. Though it’s a long shot that Camara will win the case. Given that the american courts seem hell bent on siding with the RIAA in these “Troubled Times”. Though the in saying that, I haven’t seen the supreme court throw the little guy a bone for a while. If it goes that far, perhaps he may have a shot.

what I’ve always wondered is how much of all of that 100 million dollars RIAA has collected has ever actually reached back to the pocket so fthe artists they supposedly are defending. Not much I’m sure. I think the whole thing is a joke, and as the line from the movie Twister goes …“losers…move on…”

It’s not like the RIAA are using any of their court winnings to pay the six cents a track royalty to the recording artists.

I bet it just goes to more money for cocaine to the upper echelon so they can further drive that industry back into the stone age.

Oh well, a big fan of Ogg & MPC myself, but I don’t think anyone can deny the advances made by nero in the AAC/MP4 encoder in the recent days!

Still though, Ogg for Lossy + APE/FLAC/WavePack for lossless are my codecs of choice, with full APEv2 tag support & MusicBrainz tags, almost ANY program (Foobar2000 & Winamp for me) will be just pefrect for ur library (mine is 5000+ tracks)

How about the fact that many shoplifters are never prosecuted. Many are arrested then booked and released. The courts are so full of larger criminal offenses that shoplifting has almost been deemed a misdemeanor.
The fact that the legal system would allow such a gross fine for such a minor offense is stupid in itself. Sounds like the RIAA is fast becoming the Gestapo of the music industry.
I hope that Mr. Camara is successful in sending the RIAA packing. This whole thing has been so blown out of proportion it has become laughable.