RIAA says the DMCA and US copyright law is a failure

vbimport

RIAA says the DMCA and US copyright law is a failure.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/08/sf2n8X.jpg[/newsimage]The RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) stated on Monday that United States copyright law is broken and that it "isn't working" any more. 

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/riaa-says-the-dmca-and-us-copyright-law-is-a-failure-33615/](http://www.myce.com/news/riaa-says-the-dmca-and-us-copyright-law-is-a-failure-33615/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I think the RIAA is the failure.

Clearly the RIAA is a failure. They are unable to do their job, so they are trying to recruit ISP’s advertisers, pay processors and search engines,they feel that pretty much anyone on the internet should just do their job because they can’t. I don’t think I like the idea of the RIAA having their hand in any of those things, it sounds like big brother to me…
Is the DMCA flawed? Absolutely! But the RIAA would like to believe they should be able to put into law whatever measures that would make their job easier no matter what rights they trample over. No one should trust these bozo’s to make any suggestions for a change of laws, it would only result in a loss of freedoms for innocent people, and the pirates will just sail on.

The RIAA has lost focus. Fighting Piracy is a lost cost. There’s too much of it to stop. ISPs nor the Government have the resources to stop it all.

If the RIAA had spent the money and resources that they’ve used to sue people, to revamp their industry and adapt, they’d probably be better off.

It seems there’s a market for monthy subscription, all you can eat type services (like netflix for movies). Maybe they should be trying stuff like that.

I don’t think ISPs should be held liable. You don’t hold electric companies liable because the provide the power for marijuana grow ops?

Lets re legislate and put creative works in a public trust administered by a board appointed by the FCC or Copyright Office and lets stop writing legislation designed to protect the profits of these industries that financially terrorize the public and artists to protect their own greedy interests. The RIAA and its cronies need to move on to new activities like finding employment for the record execs.

The scary thing is Mr. Obama is influenced by the RIAA, with all the ex RIAA lawyers etc… on his staff and the stances his government has taken. RIAA will surely pressure him and his government to act on the weakness of the evil DMCA.

Before you judge my comment… wait and see.

Yes, the DMCA has one major flaw. It has no clear cut statement that individuals can break encryption on media that they own in order to use that material when and where they wish. It may be implied however, in fair use rights that predate the DMCA.

Other than that, I have very little objection to the DMCA. It’s safe harbor provisions have been a boon to online creative expression.

[QUOTE=ivid;2540340]The scary thing is Mr. Obama is influenced by the RIAA, with all the ex RIAA lawyers etc… on his staff and the stances his government has taken. RIAA will surely pressure him and his government to act on the weakness of the evil DMCA.

Before you judge my comment… wait and see.[/QUOTE]

How the topic and what you came up with doesn’t make sense let alone have nothing to support your claim. MPAA/RIAA was there in the Repub long before Obama came in and they did nothing…

[QUOTE=Zod;2540302]The RIAA has lost focus. Fighting Piracy is a lost cost. There’s too much of it to stop. [/QUOTE]

Couldn’t agree with you more on this point they lost the fight and now are crying fowl. What a bunch of **^( they loose at their own game and guess what all those pirate and p2p are still there and growing and evolving and well they aren’t going to stop to see what the problem with the MPAA/RIAA is. Since they lost the business model already it’s their own game they can’t play. Sue happy was their model but that now they are getting sued by the artists in return they also cry fowl…what gives…

[QUOTE=UTR;2540293]I think the RIAA is the failure.[/QUOTE]

I second that.

I agree, the RIAA and MPAA helped “Co-write” these laws with Congress. If they don’t work or not what they wanted, then it would be the RIAA and MPAA’s fault. Maybe if they would have changed their business model, like say after CD’s hit the market, they would be in a better way. I agree with some of what they say, not the parts of their own Corporate greed, and inability to know good music when they hear it. Maybe the artists should go their own ways, and start their own little Union, and make it more accessable and cost effective for the public to legally own their music and movies without a bunch of greedy fucking lawyers screaming they’re going broke, or breaking grandmas bank some stupid teenage grandkid downloaded something they had no knowledge about. Yes, I’m talking about you, The RIpoff Association of America

To many lawmakers and judges kids and family members use limewire and utorrent exc, this will never work.

[QUOTE=AIRBUD7;2540699]To many lawmakers and judges kids and family members use limewire and utorrent exc, this will never work.[/QUOTE]

Yeah don’t forget Tor either. If they try to monitor this stuff people will hide their IPs. I guess since the RIAA can’t stop the sharing then they will try to stop people from finding it by blocking it in the search engines. Good Luck with that. If thet happens I can see a torrent search engine applet or toolbar that will help bypass this stuff. The RIAA just needs to close up shop and call it a day.

These dinosaurs still don’t get it…embrace new technology,and use it to create a new business model to gain some new revenue,instead of living in the past and keep whining about the 'good old days" …
Targeting ISP’s is unethical…you can’t blame Winchester or Smith and Wesson for a shot down person,so how could it be possible that a service provider is responsable for the way it’s customer uses the www…

[
Targeting ISP’s is unethical…you can’t blame Winchester or Smith and Wesson for a shot down person

Actually several states did try and join together to sue the gun manufacturers. The gun manufacturers stated that if they were going to get sued then they would see to it that the liquor companies would get sued also. The lawsuit against the gun manufacturers quietly went away. I wonder why? Common sense prevailed. Suing ISP’s would be like suing the phone companies for not stopping the terrorists from using the telephones when planning their attacks.

The only difference between the internet in its infancy (dial-up) and the present is broadband. They are becoming more and more afraid as the speeds increase. It is funny that when dial-up (telephone) was used no one went after pirates then. Now broadband often is the carrier for the telephone service. Is it not still analogous to dial-up only much faster? Does broadband suddenly change things therefore we need to go after the ISP’s?
I just can not follow the logic or lack of it that the RIAA is trying to apply here.

Coolcolors, are you aware of all the ex-RIAA lawyers on Obama’s staff ? Of how many millions of $$ the RIAA and MPAA spend lobbying the government. I know they lobbied the repubs too but I didn’t see them making copyright changes a high priority vs. other problems the government should be focusing on.

In the week since this article, there has been a story about how much lobbying the RIAA and MPAA are doing and then about how Obama’s government is looking to reform the copyright laws.
RIAA pays and Obama’s government acts. Its blatant.