RIAA reports on CD piracy becoming more sophiscticated

vbimport

I just posted the article RIAA reports on CD piracy becoming more sophiscticated.

The RIAA 

has announced its latest report on piracy, but this time about the
unauthorised sale of CD-R copies of music. According to the RIAA, the main
thing that has chanced in…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10581-RIAA-reports-on-CD-piracy-becoming-more-sophiscticated.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10581-RIAA-reports-on-CD-piracy-becoming-more-sophiscticated.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

You know, I always accepted the fact that people download and burn cd’s from the internet. I really had not idea how much stuff was getting sold though. Maybe the RIAA should put the focus on that? Still something doesn’t sit right with those numbers, are there really that many conterfeit cd’s out there? or are they including all sorts of contraband, like live bootlegs.

Those numbers are out there they have to be just making up some numbers

I’m starting to wonder if the RIAA has been asleep for the past 25 years. It has been no secret that organized groups have made high quality reproductions of everything from CDs to tapes and videos as far back as the early 80’s. It has also been no secret that well connected groups have placed product on the shelves of national music retailers over the years. It has been no secret that flea markets from coast to coast have been permeated with bogus CD products as well as uncountable independedent record stores, convenience stores, gas stations and other outlets. I don’t think the RIAA can tout that this or that is increasing with much credibility. These guys are either hyping up the extent of the problem to push politicians for some new legislation or they have been totally out of the loop for decades. I don’t think you are going to see the RIAA stop going after online file sharing. After spending years shooting off about what a big problen it is they would look more silly then they already do if they had to back off from their “in stone” position. Perhaps they will take a break from trying to brainwash and “educate” the public and spend some time learning just how much bogus physical product is out there for the public to purchase. If they do they will just shit themselves inside out realizing how much money and time they have been wasting chasing old ladies and kids with computers.

“sales of pirate CDs moving to indoors such as retail outlets including music shops (close to the official CD pricing) to convenience, liquor and many other corner shops.” i have always wondered about those “best off” tapes and cds offered at the convenience stores on the side of the interstate, they always seemed like cheap quality to me. i wonder if the RIAA just needs to take more road trips rather than planes to find these “illegal havens for music purchasing” “the main thing that has chanced in recent piracy is how sophisticated CD-R piracy is becoming with Jewel cases containing authentic looking inserts as well as the discs themselves being printed to look like the real thing.” like rla said “I’m starting to wonder if the RIAA has been asleep for the past 25 years.” as i was in a statewide enternment board meeting last summer where they said this was the “new thing” that pirates were doing, adding the “liner notes” into the pirated copies. im wondering if they ever bothered to tell the RIAA that or they just assumed that since they know it that the RIAA would, who would think that organizations with a common goal would COMMUNICATE. but then again, the dates in this RIAA research is when, 2003 compared to 2004. “58% increase in seizures, totalling about 1.2 million” so lets do that math if 1.2mil = 100% for 2004, then previous (guessing 2003) is 42% less making 87,000 couterfeit discs for all of 2003 (and for the sake of arguement, statistically, there are 50 states, and we will say that each state has 2 big cities [remember we are using RIAA statistical method here], that means that in the year 2003, only 8700 cds were illegal copied cds sold on the streets of each big city (2 per state, 50 states); and thats 25 cds a day! [obviously there would have to be seasonal highs and slumps, but on average 25 cds a day] i wonder how many cds were sold (legally mind you) in the US, for the entire year of 2003. “Latin music accounts for around half of the pirated CD seizures.” is it just me or does this have racial profiling written all over it?! i know the cops have gotten in trouble of this, and i guess the RIAA hasnt learned to make such wide sweeping generalizations in race relations. “growing number of these smaller-sized facilities” hasnt the RIAA heard, we are in a recession economy, even the pirates have to reduce their bottom-line to keep profitability.

One group of thiefs stealing from an other group. That almost looks like justice. :slight_smile:

TYPO: it should be thieves :frowning: Why isnt there an edit button?

There is one: left to "Reaction posted by…) :wink: and it’s active for 15min
[edited by H3rB3i on 14.07.2005 13:40]

Go to these open street flea markets in Chicago and other big cities and numbers like what’s shown above can easily be concieved. These flea markets are huge 3-5 block strips of tables with stolen goods that were taken from the night or week before. Latin music is not a surprise to me also you can go to grocery stores in Texas and see a stand out front with hundreds of latin cd’s for sale and also at the chicago flea market.

Possibly the most useless post, perhaps even worse than a flame, is to post to correction a grammar or spelling error. Give me a break, we can figure it out. BTW: the EDIT function is the tiny pencil icon at the top left of your post.
[edited by Rhelic on 14.07.2005 14:55]

There’s nothing sophisticated about CD piracy today. You’d be surprised how many pirates simply buy the CD from a store, dupe the CD then simply color xerox the front and back cover. What’s getting more sophisticated is the quality of the xerox, not the quality of the pirate. People were doing the same thing with tapes and black & white xerox machines back in the day too.

This is all a game concocted to keep the real issues at bay. Who are the players? Who decide what YOU should care about tomorrow, today? The divided attention of the masses keeps most confused and subdued with no definite direction. Those not in the high ranks of the RIAA or other corporations are the lower class. Anything they say, goes. However, notice the language used against the lower class: pirate, theif, criminal, or other evil sounding name. Then, compare to the contradictory tone for their cause: protect, secure, digital rights and other mumbo jumbo. The rhetoric from the big guys with big pockets tends to be much louder than from the lower class not in bed with them.:B