RIAA, MPAA wish for anti-piracy spyware

vbimport

I just posted the article RIAA, MPAA wish for anti-piracy spyware.

If the music and movie industries had their way, they’d have spyware on every computer for the purpose of catching copyright infringement.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/riaa-mpaa-wish-for-anti-piracy-spyware-28562/](http://www.myce.com/news/riaa-mpaa-wish-for-anti-piracy-spyware-28562/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Maybe they should install cameras on our computers so they can watch us too.

The RIAA and MPAA should just be merged in with the Department of Homeland Security. This would eliminate a lot of overhead with warrants, etc.

[QUOTE=redk9258;2510491]Maybe they should install cameras on our computers so they can watch us too.[/QUOTE]

That story has happened already a school used the webcam laptop to spy on the student to see what he was doing and when they told him they say him doing pills which turned out to be candy. The parents took the school to court and as far as I know they are in court right now…

Have you looked at the ‘Settings’ for Flash? :eek:

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2510520]Have you looked at the ‘Settings’ for Flash? :eek:
[/QUOTE]
You bet I have, it is kinda scary what MIGHT be able to be done with the right hack or virus. I don’t have a web cam hooked up but I do like to see what all the programs I use seem to think they want access to.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2510520]Have you looked at the ‘Settings’ for Flash? :eek:
[/QUOTE]

Yep. I don’t have a camera hooked up to my computer. Heck, I don’t even have a facebook or myspace account.

Oh that’ll never work! BOOO! :bigsmile:

I don’t think they would be able to do that, and if they do, bypass it somehow?!

If the music and movie industries had their way, they’d have spyware on every computer for the purpose of catching copyright infringement.
Why would you do that?

Just install Wireshark on the backbone and you can spy any user you want.

They probably have spyware written for this purpose already, and they are seeking permission to release it on an unwitting world. It would probably install itself the same as current spyware does, and report back to riaa or mpaa whatever it finds, or thinks it finds. If they can’t get permission to do it legally, you can bet they will somehow “accidentally” let some version out that erases whatever it interprets as pirated.

[QUOTE=RTV71;2510502]The RIAA and MPAA should just be merged in with the Department of Homeland Security. This would eliminate a lot of overhead with warrants, etc.[/QUOTE]

Please don’t suggest this, they both have the money to bribe, sorry, make large political contributions to the corrupt Congress to not only make this happen but to make copyright infringement “a matter of national security.”

Personally I expect them to put a "root kit " type application that will allow them to remotely scan your computer for audio and video files, analyze them and report directly to them. Look for a “license agreement” to show up buried on the DVD that allows them to install the scanner when you use insert in a computer.

Don’t think the corrupt US Government will allow it? Who do you think wrote most if not all of the original DCMA and changes to it? Politicians don’t have time to write laws, they spend every free second extorting money from people who want them to do their jobs. The last few bills they passed show they don’t even read the bills they vote on. I hope it doesn’t happen, but I know what they can do with money…

I know for a fact the RIAA has a monster server room at their DC offices, at least 10 times bigger than an office that size would have. Now why do you think they would do something like that…

[QUOTE=redk9258;2510559]Yep. I don’t have a camera hooked up to my computer. [/QUOTE]
I’ve got a webcam with a flip-down privacy screen. Ensures that the camera can’t view/capture anything when you don’t want it to. Webcams with no manual cover/shutoff are a bit disturbing.

This is just further proof that the RIAA and MPAA really want to be the proctologists of the Internet.

“I’m sorry Dave, I can’t watch you pick your nose, that would be illegal…”

That’s OK, HAL…I’ll just tilt the cam at the ceiling…

"No Dave, you cannot move my optical device from its pertinent position, that would jeopard - - - -

SNIP!!

Bye HAL…