RIAA, MPAA help bust piracy operation in New York

I just posted the article RIAA, MPAA help bust piracy operation in New York.

In  what is a both an obviously concerted PR and legal campaign, the RIAA and MPAA  took down a huge piracy operation that included music on  CDs and still non-released to the public DVD...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12349-RIAA-MPAA-help-bust-piracy-operation-in-New-York.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12349-RIAA-MPAA-help-bust-piracy-operation-in-New-York.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I’ll tell you why they only arrested one person, its so the RIAA/MPAA can move the operation somewhere else, set up another fall guy and then “take down” that operation as well, so they can show “proof” as to how blatant and widespread piracy is. I believe they’re behind these large operations, afterall, who’s really going to buy some crappy videocamera capture of a movie? The only other source for an unreleased movie is an insider and probably planted by the MPAA themselves.

They should go after these people selling movies and music illegally, instead of targeting downloaders who have no intention to resell.

I agree that most people would prefer to buy an original movie DVD, music CD etc rather than a low quality pirated version; cost is the major factor in this decision for some people. Personally I don’t want to buy poor quality movies, or watch a torrent dowloaded movie at home before the theatre release date - the movie theatre has a lot more to offer than just first release date. Also agree with other people that downloading a single song, or listening to content from an artist is much more likely to make you want to buy the CD if you are a music lover. The issues of draconian copy protection on CDs just makes me less likely to buy them. Maybe I’ll go back to making compilation tapes and re-install a casette player in my car :slight_smile:

:X I’m an expat living in Asia, and the “Pirated” DVD’s for sale on the streets could only be from one source, the studio its self. Who else could put together a press DVD, package incert, artwork, ect.,ect. It is my thoughts that these crumy DVD’s are the line setup run, and the greedy Bas*ards either reward themselves or their “family’s” by selling the crap on the street. Buy 10 and may 5-6 will play thru w/o stopping or some other fault. If it is a hand held cam movie, no doubts as to piracy, but if the DVD has the studios name embossed in the pressed disc, then I don’t think it should be called a pirated disc, maybe stolen by employees or management, but not “pirated” All the “street disc” are pressed type and NOT a DVD R. jmho of course:p

I’d have to say, the truth about the rampant pirated dvds sold in Asia is that it isn’t from one source. It’s different groups of people operating to produce these DVDs (the pressures, the printers, etc etc). And yes, jerryf01, they are the pressed type and not a dvd-r One of the problems most authorities faced is that if you shut one down, another springs up. Shut two more, another two pops up. Reason why I don’t buy these sort of stuff is that these peddlers sell dvd9(s) that are in fact dvd5(s), selling the so called “DTS” versions that cost between a dvd5 and dvd9 discs. :r Guy on the street do know that if it’s just released on cinema, it’s definately a bad handcam copy. But why do these folks still buy them? dirt cheap. cheaper than a cinema ticket, cheaper than the original disc. and in Asia, they don’t draw high wages.

Good, balanced reactions, everybody–thanks! Certainly, price is the biggest factor. Provided it is not a pirated copy using a movie camera, and it is copied from a retail DVD, the quality doesn’t have to suffer, as there is software to allow backups of such titles in most cases. This kind of ‘reproduction’ would certainly make it tempting to buy at a low price, even if it was just in a jewel case with no cover art, etc. As I have argued in other articles, and as the MPAA had the nerve to criticize China for its closed markets for titles and widespread retail distribution of the same, they don’t admit they create part of the same problem in the U.S., by pricing DVD titles higher than they should, then are not ‘transparent’ with their costs, nor honest in general with how they proceed in some legal cases at least. Either way, it is contradictory that they create the very problem they wish to eradicate because of their actions.