RIAA chief: SOPA & PIPA were killed by misinformation

vbimport

RIAA chief: SOPA & PIPA were killed by misinformation.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2012/02/iNFh0G.jpg[/newsimage]Nobody wanted the anti-piracy SOPA and PROTECT IP bills to pass more than the Recording Industry Association of America. Well, beside the MPAA. The music organization's CEO Cary Sherman on Thursday blamed a purposeful misinformation campaign for lawmakers' failure to pass both.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/riaa-chief-sopa-pipa-were-killed-by-misinformation-59332/](http://www.myce.com/news/riaa-chief-sopa-pipa-were-killed-by-misinformation-59332/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

The bills were defeated because responsible, concerned citizens spoke up and contacted their elected representatives.

Wha t are they talking about? Those bills were [I]created[/I] by misinformation!

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2624038]What are they talking about? Those bills were [I]created[/I] by misinformation![/QUOTE]

Exactly, I was about to issue the same statement. The misinformation of course being that of the so called impact that piracy has on each of these various entertainment industries.

The problem wasn’t just current intentions, but potential mis-use late. The bills provided sweeping ability to censor the internet, opening it up to future abuse.

Can any of the RIAA/MPAA members ever provide real assurance that once the power granted by Sopa/Pipa were available, lawyers wouldn’t argue and promote heavy handed tactics to censor the web for practically any purpose? I highly doubt it.

Give a man a handgun, he uses it responsibly … give a man a bazooka, and you’re looking at fires & mayhem.

This was needed like a hole in the head. But it at least shows them we will not just let these idiots walk all over us. We need more proactive voices working within the government that actually listen to their electorate and not the talking heads of corporations who shove money in their collective pockets each year.

The people must be heard!

[QUOTE=DeadMan;2624063]This was needed like a hole in the head. But it at least shows them we will not just let these idiots walk all over us. We need more proactive voices working within the government that actually listen to their electorate and not the talking heads of corporations who shove money in their collective pockets each year.

The people must be heard![/QUOTE]

Congress cares about three things: lining their pockets, acquisition of power and their own agendas. The people are a means to an end. The US government is a pretense; a corrupt farce camouflaged in democracy.

The WikiPedia (among others) blackout did a lot to spur people to contact their senators and congressmen about it. Now if only FaceBook and YouTube would get on that bandwagon. Perhaps an intercept page that wouldn’t allow you to log on without sending that e-mail…

Silence while Hitler speaks!

[QUOTE=CharmedonWB;2624070]Congress cares about three things: lining their pockets, acquisition of power and their own agendas. The people are a means to an end. The US government is a pretense; a corrupt farce camouflaged in democracy.[/QUOTE]You hit the Nail on the head!!:iagree:

[QUOTE=CharmedonWB;2624070]Congress cares about three things: lining their pockets, acquisition of power and their own agendas. The people are a means to an end. The US government is a pretense; a corrupt farce camouflaged in democracy.[/QUOTE]
So … Just like all other governments then…

[QUOTE=debro;2624176]So … Just like all other governments then…[/QUOTE]

Well not all governments front the pretense as deeply as do we and not all of them claim to be democracies “governed” by the people.

There are already laws in place to combat piracy and the only misinformation I am hearing is the RIAA Chief’s anger that his agency’s misinformation didn’t fool the public or the tech industry.

RIAA chief got what he deserved, because SOPA & PIPA wasn’t going to protect consumers, it was just so the major media companies can do what their past heavy handed tactics failed to do: censor the Internet.

They’ll try it again, so people have to always alert, and always ready for another round of spin.

The existing DNS system already blocks many ranges of IP addresses. The lies that blocking organized crime sites like Pirate Bay would “break the internet” are just that, lies. What they would break is the billions that ISPs, search engines and internet ad networks profit from distributing content without paying for it.

[QUOTE=steeleword;2625135]The existing DNS system already blocks many ranges of IP addresses. The lies that blocking organized crime sites like Pirate Bay would “break the internet” are just that, lies. What they would break is the billions that ISPs, search engines and internet ad networks profit from distributing content without paying for it.[/QUOTE]
Blocking IP addressing would kill hundreds (thousands) of valid sites in order to remove one violating website.
The fact you and SOPA/PIPA even suggested blocking IP addresses, rather than DNS addresses suggest that you & the creators don’t necessarily understand how the internet works.

Here’s a 30 second run down of how the internet works now:

I want a torrent website - I apply to Amazon.com for a virtualised/cloud server, which is shared by tens/hundreds of thousands of legitimate websites. PIPA/SOPA allows an interested party to block amazons IP address.

Tens/Hundreds of thousands of legitimate websites are now down duee to PIPA/SOPA.

I have a cached copy of my website from a few hours ago … I apply to another cloud service provider, upload my server, and am operating again in a few hours.
Tens/Hundreds of Thousands of legitimate websites are left in turmoil wondering wtf is going on & why they’ve been SOPA/PIPA’d, most of them haven’t done a recent backup, most of them have customers attempting to submit orders and are losing hundreds/thousands of dollars in sales by the minute.

RIAA/MPAA content is just so small compared to the rest of the world. It doesn’t make economic sense to cause hundreds of millions of dollars worth of damage to the economy to chase a few millions dollars in possibly lost sales in content - that can’t be proven to be lost sales, and academics, independent studies and common sense argue is actually provides a beneficial effect on sales anyway.