RIAA & broadcasters want FM radio mandatory on smartphones

vbimport

RIAA & broadcasters want FM radio mandatory on smartphones.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/08/8H4G46.jpg[/newsimage]The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) and radio broadcasters typically don't see eye-to-eye on many things, but both sides feel that FM radio should be mandated on mobile phones and other electronics.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/riaa-broadcasters-want-fm-radio-mandatory-on-smartphones-33362/](http://www.myce.com/news/riaa-broadcasters-want-fm-radio-mandatory-on-smartphones-33362/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

What about AM too ? There are sports and news stations I would listen to before the utter crap selection of FM radio we get in Montreal.

I disagree with the author, I think consumers would want this and its a great initiative IMO.

I had FM radio on an old Creative Zen Micro MP3 player that I used years ago. Initially, I thought it was cool that it had FM radio on it, but afterwards, I tested it out and the reception was spotty and I rarely ever used it.

I think it’s a terrible idea to “mandate” FM radio on anything. If consumers want it, they’ll demand it from the companies making the products or someone new will come in and sell a ton of devices, basic supply and demand of the free market.

Making it mandatory would be a terrible idea.

Is this to arm the local radio markets so they can combat internet radio?

What the RIAA hasn’t had enough fun jacking up the recording industry? Now they want to tell folks how to make smart phones? Somebody tell these RIAA bitches to shut the fuck up and get a real job.

[QUOTE=ivid;2538965]I disagree with the author, I think consumers would want this and its a great initiative IMO.[/QUOTE] I think the author is spot on.

[B]Allowing[/B] companies to include capabilities such as FM into mobile devices is good.

[B]Forcing[/B] companies to include capabilities such as FM into mobile devices is very, very bad!!!

My Cowon S9 pmp has FM radio, but I rarely use it. One of the above posters mentioned AM radio and I’d be all over that. I’m not sure if theres a technical limitation or something, but its never included.

My media player is already full of music, but I wouldn’t mind being able to hear sports games over it.

btw why don’t they ever have FM sports channels anyways?

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2538997]I think the author is spot on.

[B]Allowing[/B] companies to include capabilities such as FM into mobile devices is good.

[B]Forcing[/B] companies to include capabilities such as FM into mobile devices is very, very bad!!![/QUOTE]
Totally agreed.

I used to have radio on portable MP3 players … and currently in my car.
Given the garbage that somehow qualifies as music these days (obviously by deaf idiots) that is played on the radio … I listen to the radio for maybe 5minutes a month … on average.

I’ll even listen to the missus’s lady Gaga (which she often leaves in the car CD player) before I’ll listen to local radio channels. If I’m not in an incredibly mellow mood … I’ll generally turn it off.

Sounds like the radio industry last gasp to prop up a dying technology . 3G fone ??then stream the radio, most likely commercial free. If the RIAA is involved it’s not good for the consumer…

While FM radio would be nice on a smartphone, it should not be mandatory. I wouldn’t be surprised if most smartphone users never listen to music at all through their handset, let alone stream radio through it. So why force them to pay for an FM tuner that they will never use?

A built-in LED flash light would be more practical than a built-in FM radio.

I’d want a HD radio that supports both AM and FM, I have 2 now, one in my car and one on the A/V system.
The FM sounds like a CD and the AM sounds close to FM with a bit of MP3 jitter thrown in, plus the FM has HD2 stations that play all kinds of cool music and other things with no commercials so far, and it’s free.
I think the main issue right now is the HD radio chips are pretty power hungry, and not many people really know about it.
The range isn’t as good as normal radio but in a well served city you can get a lot of cool stations that don’t cut out, and at least the HD1 station should be the same as the analog version so it just drops back to it anyways.

I would love to have radio on my cellphone once again. On the other hand, don’t friggin tell me what I have to have, I’ll make that choice myself, thank you very much. These guys are just wealthy criminals who use the court system and government to their advantage. I’d rather do without radio than have it and its cost shoved down my throat.