Rewriteable discs::Compatibility issues?

Hello, All
This is a noob-level question: Is it generally-understood that rewriteable discs are less compatible with various optical drives than non-rewriteable ones?
The reason I’m asking: I’ve stayed away from rewriteable media in the past. There are 2 fairly-new dvd drives on this desktop (Memorex Memorex DVD16+/-DL4RWlD2 and NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A), and those drives haven’t had any disc-recognition problems with blank media for months. Recently I bought some rewriteable media for a project, specifically Memorex DVD+RW. And neither one of those drives can recognize those discs! I’ve tried several different blank discs in the pack, and also gone to the drive-manufacturers sites and downloaded fresher firmware. No luck at all.
So I’m just wondering: Is this something that’s fairly-common with rewriteable discs? Or is Memorex just an inferior brand? Or WHAT?
Thanks for your time [:smiley:
riprap

Rewriteable media is less compatible with DVD players than normal recordable media.

Memorex use various suppliers for their media, and not all of them are equally good. I suggest you try some Verbatim rewriteable media if you want to use rewriteable media.

[B]Hello, DrageMester
Thanks much for your insight! I’ll try to get the Memorex returned and try the Verbatim.
Have an excellent weekend [:stuck_out_tongue:
riprap [/B]

You should crossflash your NEC to ND-2510A to get DVD+R DL support. :flower:
Also, your Memorex DVD16+/-DL4RWlD2 is actually a LiteOn SOHW-1693S, you can crossflash by first modding the EEPROM. :slight_smile:
Good luck!

Hello, kg_evilboy
I believe 97.6% of your post went over my melon…

(You know what really frosts me is that the Memorex drive & the Memorex DVD+RW media are both manufactured by the same corporation----and they can’t even get it onto the same page to make their own media compatible w/ their own drives??? What’s up with that?)

Let me ask you 1 question: [B]Would a “crossflash” of the NEC drive > ND-2510A also give me DVD+RW suppt? [/B]
Thanks much for your time!

riprap1951

[QUOTE=riprap1951;1933075]
Let me ask you 1 question: [B]Would a “crossflash” of the NEC drive > ND-2510A also give me DVD+RW suppt? [/B]
Thanks much for your time!

riprap1951[/QUOTE]

The nec 2500 can already deal with DVD+RW media.
But only 2.4x and 4x rated DVD+RW.

1. The ND-2500A is not “fairly-new”, it was released in December 2003.
  2. The Memorex burner and the Memorex media are not manufactured by the same company.

Buy 4X +RW media, and your burners might recognize it, or buy a new burner.