Returning the Micro Advantage (BTC DRW1004)

I got over-enthusiastic :stuck_out_tongue: and bought not one, but TWO of the Micro Advantage SuperDrives (rebadged BTC 1004) at OfficeMax sale for $80 each - one for me and one for my brother.

Installed it yesterday night, and immediately flashed it to FW45 as per the instructions on MA’s website. Got about 6 error messages during the update, but the flash seems to have been completed successfully.

I rebooted the PC and burnt a movie on a Princo DVD-RW, worked fine. I gained confidence and burnt a movie on a Princo DVD-R. It works in my standalone Sony, but not my Apex. But the most curious part is that my Pioneer DVD-ROM is not able to read it. :confused:

Then I found this forum and gone thru several messages, and I realised that I might have bought more than I bargained for.

Anyway, I decided to give it another try and downgrade to FW43 as suggested in several posts. Half way thru the flash it messed up and shows the dreaded Windows BLUE screen of death :frowning: - I want to mention here that in the two years that I have been running Windows 2000 on this PC, I NEVER EVER got a blue screen… thank you very much BTC, you enriched my life.

On reboot, I found that the drive has disappeared.

After initial panic I found the DOS Flash method on the forum and used MTKFLASH and V43 from ‘The Dangerous Brothers’ site to successfully flash it to v43. Felt a bit happy that all is not lost.

Carefully tried a few CD-RWs, and then a couple of CD-Rs. Went fine, burnt successfully at 40X and 32X.

Gained confidence to try another DVD-R. (Princo 1X - 2X)

Attempt 1 - Burnt with Nero 6.0.0.19.
Showed Lead-In burning for about 8 mins before I got fed up and cancelled the process.
Needless to say, the DVD-R has been sacrificed to the sadistic DVD burner gods.

Attempt 2 - Another Princo DVD-R with RecordNow Max
After about a min, RecordNow Max spit out the DVD-R giving some error message. Atleast the DVD-R was not screwed up - Thank you Stomp - Ahead should learn a few things

Attempt 3 -
This time I decided to change my approach. So, instead of directly burning the files, I first created an DVD image file and then burnt it with DVDDecrypter - this is an approach that never failed in the past. But there is a first time for everything and, thans to BTC I got another nice DVD-R coaster.

I have by now given up on the drive. I am returning the un-opened drive first thing tomorrow.

As for the one I already installed, I am waiting to see if Marco :bow: pulls of a miracle with his promised FW47 release next week.

Otherwise I will just get myself a nice NEC ND-1300A :smiley: from Newegg.com for $100 and save myself all this frustration.

If the Circuit City stores near you still have the Lite-On 411S GET IT!!! Same specs as the one you have, but it works like a dream! I think it’s like $89 after a couple rebates!

Good luck!

Corey

Originally posted by coreyoli
[B]If the Circuit City stores near you still have the Lite-On 411S GET IT!!! Same specs as the one you have, but it works like a dream! I think it’s like $89 after a couple rebates!

Good luck!

Corey [/B]

Thanks for the info but the rebate has expired!:frowning:

Oh well.

OfficeMax has a pretty good return policy. You have 14 days I believe.

casperg, have you tried using other software? I’ve used DVD X copy Platinum and Pinnacle Instantcopy 8. Both work fine but I don’t have your DVD burner.

Well, I returned one and I will wait for FW 47 before I decide to return the other or not.

I have a Pioneer 104, it worked flawlessly from day one - must have burnt over a 100 DVDs now :bigsmile: - didn’t have any problems with either the HW or the SW.

It seems strange that one has to struggle so hard with the BTC to make it work right. :confused: I do hope it is just the FW and not the device itself, and that the next FW release fixes the probs.

I couldn’t find the Lite-On on sale anywhere, but I did find the Buslink DVRW412RD for $99.99 at Staples - no mail-in rebates either. And this is the same drive as the Lite-On 411S. I think I might go and get one as a back-up in case the BTC drive doesn’t work out.

Thanks for the all info provided on this forum.
And thanks to Marco for all the support.

I believe that the hardware is of excellent quality, being the only problem the firmware of the unit. Sometimes the latter is a lot more complicated and important than the hardware design.

To try another DVD-R(suggested by BTC), like Ritek 4x DVD-R G04 “purple dye”. Fortunately, I use it and never face so many troubles like you.:wink:

At first, the firmware of LiteOn 411s also has many problems. Only after some struggle, the firmware edition FSOF wins the reputation.

Originally posted by coreyoli
[B]If the Circuit City stores near you still have the Lite-On 411S GET IT!!! Same specs as the one you have, but it works like a dream! I think it’s like $89 after a couple rebates!

Good luck!

Corey [/B]

Microcenter currently has this Buslink for $80 after rebate.

http://www.microcenter.com/

enjoy.

Originally posted by usthaiguy
[B]Microcenter currently has this Buslink for $80 after rebate.

http://www.microcenter.com/

enjoy. [/B]

Where did you see it for $80 AR?
All I could find was this for $190
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0161112

Can you please post an item number or something?

Originally posted by casperg
[B]Where did you see it for $80 AR?
All I could find was this for $190
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0161112

Can you please post an item number or something? [/B]

I originally saw the price in the ad that they mail to me every month. You’re correct though, I don’t see the rebate in the link you’ve posted but if you can find the DVD burner from their front page (4th item from the top), you’ll get the right one…

part # DVRW412RQ

Or just use this direct link:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0166798

It looks like the difference is DVRW412RQ is only DVD+R while the one you found is DVD+/-R

Well, I had enough of this Drive :frowning:

After 8 coasters - three of them are DVD-RW (can you believe it, this drive actually made coasters of RW discs :a - no other drive recognises them anymore so I cannot erase them), I decided enough was enough and returned it to the store this morning.

Can’t tell you how much better I feel right now. :slight_smile:

Now deciding between

• A Sony DRU-510A from Staples for just under $100 after coupon, pricematch and rebates
  • A Pioneer A06 from BestBuy for $125 after Coupon & Rebate

Will most likely go with the A06 as I have nothing but good experiences with my A04 for the last two years.

So, I don’t think I will visit this forum again.

Goodluck to you all, hope the FW47 fixes your problems (if it is published at all) - or maybe the FW48 or maybe the one after. For me it was too much hassle to go through just for saving 20 bucks.

Cheers mates
:cool:

casperg,

Were did you find the Sony for $100 at Staples? I looked on their website and the best I saw was $149 after rebate.
:confused:

herbei,
what is the MID code for the SONY DVD-R that you used?
Although ,they are not in the BTC’s compatibility list you can get good results by reducing the burning speed.Let me give you some charts that may be interesting :
First a bad one with a SONY dvd-r 4x (SONY04D1) burnt at 4x

the media is being played back only in pc DVD –ROM drives and my SONY DVP NS330 but is unreadable in PS2 and my BLUESky DVD player

Then another media ,same MID code :SONY dvd-r 4x (SONY04D1) but burnt at 2x

much better results and the DVD is playing back almost flawllesly everywhere

Sorry i missed the two charts below

Originally posted by dkageff
[B]casperg,

Were did you find the Sony for $100 at Staples? I looked on their website and the best I saw was $149 after rebate.
:confused: [/B]

Found the deal on FatWallet forums

Sony DRU-510A at Staples - $179.99
Coupon - $30 off $150

Sub Total = $149.99 + taxes
PM (see pricegrabber for best value) - about $30

Sub Total after PM = $119 +Taxes = About $128 for me
Main-in Rebate = $30

Grand Total = $128 - $30 = $98

Ordered it yesterday - it was delivered just a few mins back. Am going to call for the PM now. If they deny the PM, then I am gonna return it and go for the Pioneer deal below - also from Staples.

Staples has the Memorex Dual for $149.99
This is the OEM Pioneer DVR-106
Add some paper clips and apply the $30 off $150 coupon
Your total is $120 + Taxes
There is a $20 Mail-in Rebate
So about $100 for the whole deal - not bad, eh? Especially for a retail package. Apparently, Memorex retail package is much better than the Pioneer A06. Better software and a DVD+RW and DVD+R disc.

I don’t remember the coupon codes, pls search Fatwallet.com

Cheers.