Returning 1004 tomorrow, having to much trouble with it

I bought the drive on monday, having nothing but trouble. The drive came with firmware 0.40 and I updated to 0.47 immediately. First everything went fine, I burned four CD-RW (Octron) 4x-10x at 10x speed and all came out fine, ok there were readable I didn’t use a programm to test them.
But what I experienced today leaves me with only one option: to return the drive.

I wanted to burn some other CD-RWs and the trouble began. My first try was a SKC 4x-10x CD-RW and it took Nero 6.3.0.0 10 min to complete the disc (at 10x speed, successfull, well thats what Nero said). The disc wasn’t recognized by either the recorder nor the DVD-ROM drive. I erased the disc and tried again, time to complete: 8:30 min and the disc was readable.
Ok, I thought that was an exception and went on to try a Verbatim CD-RW 4x-10x. The same thing happend again, first time it took Nero hours to complete and the disc was useless. Second time, it it went fine.

At this time I was allready a little pissed.

But the best comes at last, I finally wanted to try the DVD recording and I took the DVD+RW which was supplied in the kit: 2,4x RiDATA DVD+RW. I got suspicious when Nero told me the record speed was 2x and not 2,4x but I tried it anyway. I put 1,5 GB on the disc and pressed the record button. After 10min the data was burned at 2x speed and after 10 additional minutes the Lead-out was completed!! And guess what, the disc does not work in the DVD-ROM drive, it’s only readable in the recorder.

And thats it, I’m going to the store tomorrow to get my money back. This drive and/or its firmware isn’t ready for the market at all!!

Originally posted by gokpog
[B]I bought the drive on monday, having nothing but trouble. The drive came with firmware 0.40 and I updated to 0.47 immediately. First everything went fine, I burned four CD-RW (Octron) 4x-10x at 10x speed and all came out fine, ok there were readable I didn’t use a programm to test them.
But what I experienced today leaves me with only one option: to return the drive.

I wanted to burn some other CD-RWs and the trouble began. My first try was a SKC 4x-10x CD-RW and it took Nero 6.3.0.0 10 min to complete the disc (at 10x speed, successfull, well thats what Nero said). The disc wasn’t recognized by either the recorder nor the DVD-ROM drive. I erased the disc and tried again, time to complete: 8:30 min and the disc was readable.
Ok, I thought that was an exception and went on to try a Verbatim CD-RW 4x-10x. The same thing happend again, first time it took Nero hours to complete and the disc was useless. Second time, it it went fine.

At this time I was allready a little pissed.

But the best comes at last, I finally wanted to try the DVD recording and I took the DVD+RW which was supplied in the kit: 2,4x RiDATA DVD+RW. I got suspicious when Nero told me the record speed was 2x and not 2,4x but I tried it anyway. I put 1,5 GB on the disc and pressed the record button. After 10min the data was burned at 2x speed and after 10 additional minutes the Lead-out was completed!! And guess what, the disc does not work in the DVD-ROM drive, it’s only readable in the recorder.

And thats it, I’m going to the store tomorrow to get my money back. This drive and/or its firmware isn’t ready for the market at all!! [/B]

two words… Lite-on 411S!!! (okay, so the second one isn’t really a word, LOL)

I had the BTC 1004 and after a few weeks got fed up as well, bought the Lite-On, works like a dream!!!

OLi

:Z smashed my BTC 1004IM out of the 3.rd floor window, really, and bought a LDW-411S.
:bigsmile: Now NOT ONE problem !!!
Btw. Marco thx for your really very kind and hard work here, but sorry, also with 0.47 the drive suxks.
Bought the LDW-411S, upgraded at once FW and already burnt various media, also very cheap one and no prob.