Return of the King

just tried to backup LOTR: Return of the King for PC.
this is the north american version of the game.
the game is 3 cd’s total.
Install CD1 seems to have no protection, Install CD2 has errors half way through the reading process, and the Play CD seems like its normal Safedisc protection as errors are at beginning of the reading process.
tried newest version of CloneCD with Safedisc profile no AWS, using my Plex Premium.
anyone made a backup of this game yet that works ???
is it normal that Install CD2 has the errors in the middle of the disc ???

Have you scanned it to see which protection is used exactly? If you suspect Safedisc and it indeed is, it would be interesting to know what version of safedisc.

still doing some testing but the protection comes up as Safedisc - 3.10.20
backup of Install CD2 doesn’t work, Install CD1 works fine but Install CD2 stops installing after just afew seconds, error shows up, and game un-installs itself.
wierd thing is that when i made the backup of CD2 there were no errors at the beginning of the cd-read process, errors didn’t come until the cd was about 50% read.
ohwell, i’ll post back if i find out anything more.

For the 2nd CD try different readers. My plex premium, was giving me errors, while my Toshi DVD no errors at all.

Lately, I’ve found out that there are some installation CDs with no protection that are pretty difficult to read. Anyone else?

ive used clonecd and this title no problems i used the sd2 no aws profile…though i was using a asus 5224A drive to read from…i havent tried it with my plex premium…but i can assure you it works by using the asus. now i have the us version so am using safedisk 3.1 also.

My spanish version is also SD3.1 and I have to say that curiously my ASUS 5224A cannot read anything with CloneCD. It remains 0% readed after 15 minutes on every SD protected disk… :frowning:

Originally posted by Dufroise
My spanish version is also SD3.1 and I have to say that curiously my ASUS 5224A cannot read anything with CloneCD. It remains 0% readed after 15 minutes on every SD protected disk… :frowning:

what bios version are you using? if its greater than 1.1 thats your problem. ive had no problems with that drive and bios 1.1 with the latest version of clone cd.

What’s the error? I have bought 2 games I can’t install perfectly on Winxp… neither the original, one is Safedisc 2.9 and another is securom 4.85.

Thanks.

uk version safedisc v3.10.020 on disc 3 only! disc 1&2 no protection.
please note safe disc 3 will look for older versions of alcohol
and ccd virtual drives if it finds them they are blacklisted and will prevent even the originals from running!
you either need to upgrade your software or uninstall to get them to run!
I cant see the us version of the game being any different
jamos from u.s. copied it fine.

>Install CD2 has errors half way through the reading process

Just a thought after reading something in a beta forum somewhere else:

i just got my hands on Fifa 2004 (german), it uses Safedisc 3.10.020. I had some strange problems while reading the CD with xxx: First time i read it it had NO! bad sectors, but the image worked fine apart of that i had no sound in the game at all.

OK i tried to read it a second time, now i had the typical bad sectors from 900 to 11000, the image worked again fine, but still no sound in the game.

OK, i tried the original disc in the drive and got still no sound, so the sound problem seems not to be related to copy protection, but whats that with these bad sectors appearing and disappearing?

Can somebody confirm this?
The read errors are 2398 to 11840. I’m thinking that Fast Error Skip must be set to automatic. There may be some slightly weak sectors (my hypothesis) that will be detected if FES is forced “On”.

Can someone try this? And see if it occurs (FES on then auto)

Has anyone tried D-Tools fastdump on SD3.x?

I have made succesful copies of LOTR: ROTK using elby CloneCD v2.0.2 and a LITE ON LTR52246S (52x24x52). I choose the “read to the hard drive” button and checked the make a .cue file. The three cds took around 2hours to read to hard drive total. I then used fire burner to burn the three cds. All three cds work as I both installed and played with the burnt cds. Hope this helps.

Dachness

i made another backup image of disc 2 this time using the Protected PC Game profile and this time no errors showed up, but once again half way through the reading process the disc slowed down and took forever to read it until it hit 80%.
from 40% to 80% is when the reading goes slow.

ya FES is set to on FutureProof.
i set FES to auto and no errors this time, same thing though–slow down in reading at 40% to 80%.

gonna try and install the game again with the new backup.
i’ll post back when i’m done.

@maximino72
can’t remember what the error said, but the error box was part of the install program, said something like it couldn’t find or locate the proper file or corrupted file, something like that.

backup of Install disc 2 works now.
just changed Fast Error Skip setting to Auto when i made image of the disc.
installing the game from backup disc’s works fine.
problem now is that the Play CD doesn’t work all the time.
game tries to launch but after about a minute an error shows up saying “do u want to send this info to Microsoft bla bla bla…”

gonna keep testing to see if i can make a perfect backup (or good working backup) of the Play CD.
i’ll post back with my results when done.

This game is strange…:confused:
Installed from original disks on my pc with no problem.
Installing on my two sons pc’s from original disks it would stall at 97% and receive error “unable to find file or file is corrupt (7)” and then completely un-install. It took three tries on one comp and five on the other before sucess.
The major differences in pc’s is mine is nforce mobo and ati video, where as my sons’ are almost identical but via mobo and nvidia video cards. All are AMD Athlons and XP Pro.

i haven’t had problems with the original disc’s yet.
i finally made a backup of the Play disc that works fine in my AOpen CD-Rom but it doesn’t work all the time in my AOpen DVD-Rom. (even with the CloneCD Tray enabled)
i just bought a Lite-On 52327s, gonna do some testing with it.
maybe it can make a better backup than what my Plex Premium can do.

Thanks for your reply… I asked tou because with some games my pc doesn’t install originals…(

Originally posted by Accel7
i haven’t had problems with the original disc’s yet.
i finally made a backup of the Play disc that works fine in my AOpen CD-Rom but it doesn’t work all the time in my AOpen DVD-Rom. (even with the CloneCD Tray enabled)
i just bought a Lite-On 52327s, gonna do some testing with it.
maybe it can make a better backup than what my Plex Premium can do.

i can tell you that it will do better than your premium…premiums are not good sd2.9+ backups…but they are great securerom backups.

well my testing is pretty much done.
the Lite-On backup works perfect in all my drives, while the Plex Premium backup only works in the AOpen CD-Rom and in the Premium drive.

@Jamos
ya Lite-On still seems to be better at sd2.9+ than Plex drives.
Plex drives seem to be hit or miss with it.
ohwell Premium still good for Securom backups.

Hi! First post, so bear with me!

My UK version of ROTK scans as disk 1 SD 3.1, no prot on disk 2, and SD 2.9 on disk 3(play).! Figure that one!

Using CCD 4.3 under protected game profile and my trusty litey 52x24 I burnt all 3 disks, working with no coasters first time! I read to image file and then burned, both with ccd tray OFF. I then had to enable HIDE CDR before game would run in either drive!

xp2500+ oc’ed to 3000+
KT3 ultra aru mobo
Geforce 3 ti200 @ 225/530
liteon 52x24x52
BTC 48x DVD
512 pc2700

Thank you so much logicwatch for that tip in your post on The games SD Protection blacklisting the Virtual Drives.I had no idea what the hell was going on.I had installed and played LOTR-ROTK on my other two computers with no hitches at all.Then all of a sudden “Please insert Original Cd-The Cd-Rom cannot be Found”.
So I figured somebody had gotten smarter than I thought at protecting these games and inserted my Original Disc and got the same error message???

Well its been about 4 hours now of research and you have ended my frustation instantly…

Uninstalled the virtual drive in alcohol(installed by default)and now game works perfectly…:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

THANK YOU! logicwatch

peAce<>rEsi-n8

If anyone wants to now how to backup FS2004 let me know,It’s a weird one, Let me tell you!!!

Or you can go here(

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?postid=501305#post501305

)and read it for yourself.

Have Fun;)