RetroUI boots to desktop in Windows 8 - blocks Metro

vbimport

RetroUI boots to desktop in Windows 8 - blocks Metro.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2012/09/1VO2X1.png[/newsimage]A new application appeared on the internet that lets you boot directly to the desktop and block Metro...

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/retroui-boots-to-desktop-in-windows-8-blocks-metro-63601/](http://www.myce.com/news/retroui-boots-to-desktop-in-windows-8-blocks-metro-63601/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

To me, anyone who will do this should stay with Windows 7.

[QUOTE=blegs38552;2653550]To me, anyone who will do this should stay with Windows 7.[/QUOTE]

Actually that would be the opposite. Anyone who will do this would want to STAY with windows 8.

[QUOTE=Zzyzxroad;2653680]Actually that would be the opposite. Anyone who will do this would want to STAY with windows 8.[/QUOTE] Why bother in that case?

[QUOTE=blegs38552;2653550]To me, anyone who will do this should stay with Windows 7.[/QUOTE]
Good idea, because unlike some people, we’re not in a masturbatory frenzy over Windows 8. Excellent suggestion!

I thought all the uproar with Windows 8 was the lack of a start menu on the desktop. This doesn’t appear to have a start menu either, so the only thing it does is eliminate one mouse click to get from the Windows-Start-Screen-Formerly-Known-As-Metro to the desktop. Just hold the enter key down when logging on to Windows 8, to accomplish the same thing. Or use a 3rd-party solution like Classic Shell (there are many others, but this is the one I use and have become familiar with), which not only can boot directly to the desktop, but it has a very nice, customizable start menu.

I agree with BradWright. Classic shell works great. Also the fact that it takes one click to get to the desktop. The Metro ui is basically he start menu and as soon as you click any program, this interface goes to the background for good.

I don’t understand the complaining about the metro ui and the guys, not only replying to this topic, but many others. Have none of you EVER used a tweak program to make your XP or win7 run differently?? Would you really not install this OS just because you have to click once to get your desktop? Are you people really that lazy?

Funny that the same people bitching about the situation are the same ones checking out these topics daily. If Microsoft products suck so bad, buy a mac and join a mac-only forum.

The metroui/start menu was the least of my problems. I actually cant get many drivers to work, and some of my programs don’t work in windows 8. Oh well.

Thanks, Zzyzxroad. I haven’t had any driver problems with Windows 8, and only had one program that I absolutely couldn’t get to work (a partition manager). When programs wouldn’t install due to compatability problems, I’d right click on the install/setup executable, select check compatibility, and then in the new window that opens, click on test program. In every case (except one), the program installed and ran fine in either Windows XP SP3 mode (mostly) or Windows 7 mode. I’m using Windows 8 RTM about 75% of the time now, and the only part that I just haven’t been able to get my arms around is the Metro version of Internet Explorer 10.

[QUOTE=blegs38552;2653691]Why bother in that case?[/QUOTE]

Because the windows 8 OS is good (enough?), and just the crappy metro interface enforcement is bad.

Windows 8 has a boatload of tweaked improvements over windows 7. Especially if you own a recent AMD cpu.

The other problem with windows 8 is the uefi bios locking. This won’t bother most people anyway, as dual-os people are in the minority. The number of people I personally know that know linux exists, let alone have ever installed an alternate OS, to windows@mac, could be counted on a blind butchers fingers.

[QUOTE=BradWright;2653740]When programs wouldn’t install due to compatability problems, I’d right click on the install/setup executable, select check compatibility, and then in the new window that opens, click on test program. In every case (except one [QUOTE]

Did that, but my dang Corel PSP wont work.

Drivers for my printer are installed by default, but I have basic settings. I cannot install the Epson software to print photos.

Any of my Mobo software tells me its the wrong version of windows.

I have Corel PSP running here. In addition to Brad’s method, I had to install with admin privileges

it’s still a no-go for me. I have a problem with mfc90u.dll

Guess its time to use MS Paint…hahahaha